50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am happy with the deficit I have been running, hoping that this Garmin knows what its talking about!

Last night rode the bike while watching designated survivor. So far it's great, haven't seen it before but stayed up way to late watching it. Made the bike ride go by fast.

As I said yesterday morning, I seemed to be hungry all day. Still managed to have a nice deficit though.

Calories in 2415 Calories out 4132 for a deficit of 1717

Running deficit 10656
    Theoretical weight lost 3.04lbs

Crawled out of bed this morning, bundled up and went for a walk back up to the church. Need to do this every single day while I can. Looked at the long term forecast and it is going to drop into the deep freeze in a couple weeks. Looking at high -20s and even some days of mid -30s.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Was looking through some old pictures on my phone last night and seen my progress photos from the summer of 2016. Got pissed off at what i look like today, jumped on the bike and nailed an hour ride. Average HR 147, max 170.

Calories in check even with an after workout snack.

Calories in 1969 Calories out 3922 for a deficit of 1953

Running Deficit 12609
    Theoretical weight lost 3.60lbs

Super bagged this morning and slept in so no walk for me today. Hopefully I can do some moving today.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Last night was both positive and negative. Got to the apartment with all of the enthusiasm in the world, threw on my workout gear and decided to start Insanity. All was going good for the first 20 minutes. Minute 21 hits and both of my hamstrings start to tighten up, less than a minute later my workout was over. Made it less than half way through the video.

After that I took my workout gear off and laid down on the bed feeling sorry for myself. Thinking about all of the things that were plaguing me, being sore, tired, homesick, cold I figured I was done for the night. Then I started looking on my computer at past photos of me and somehow a little bit of enthusiasm came back. Hopped on the bike and busted out a 48 minute ride. Averaged a heart rate of 152BPM with a maximum of 174.

Calories were right where they needed to be.

Calories in 1937 Calories out 4125 for a deficit of 2188

Running deficit 14 797
    Theoretical weight lost 4.23lbs

Woke up and went for a super easy walk, more of a stroll. My lower body is pretty sore but I needed the steps so I went for it. It's still -18 but the wind is blowing and feels much much colder. I am hoping that the weather network is wrong, no way I can walk in -36 soon.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    YAY for staying motivated!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yesterday didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Attempted another Insanity video and made it about 23 minutes into a workout and my right knee started to... ping?? I don't know how to describe it. Shooting pain behind my knee cap. I immediately shut it down just to make sure that I didn't hurt myself. I'm wondering if every part of my body is going to hurt the first time I work it out.

Anyways instead of getting a decent workout in I decided to gorge myself on BBQ pork from the vendor outside of my apartment. I probably didn't need to eat and extra 700 calories of straight meat right before bed, but oh was it good.

Calories in 2674 Calories out 3617 for a deficit of 943

Running deficit 15 740
    Theoretical weight lost 4.50lbs

Had a terrible sleep and didn't get up to walk this morning. My starting enthusiasm might be starting to wear a bit thin. Just a touch more than 2 weeks left of work!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that stopping insanity was the right thing to do. I for one certainly don't heal as quickly as I used to. and prevention is much better than cure. Can be annoying when you just want to go for it, though !!!

Oh, and I have to say that food vendors outside the front door would certainly challenge my motivation. I guess that if you get used to saying no its best in the long run but it sure must be hard.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yesterday I am going to chalk up as a mental health day. As I mentioned before I didn't walk in the morning, by the time I got home at 8pm I had a near comatose like 1777 steps. I got home and was mentally defeated. Ended up getting into my workout gear, started a workout but quit within minutes and couldn't muster up the effort to do anything else.

Calories in 2042 Calories out 2937 deficit of 895

Running deficit 16 635
    Theoretical weight lost 4.75lbs

So knowing that I had a crappy day when it came to exercise and deficit I promised myself I would crawl out of bed early and head for a walk. I put my gear on and had a glorious 56 minute walk in the ankle deep fresh light powdered snow. It was a great way to start the day. I commented on it many months ago, simply getting out for a walk in the morning sure puts my head in a better place for the day ahead.

My lower body is still extremely sore but am going to try some Insanity tonight again. I haven't had any success getting a workout in with it yet but I am determined to not give up. It is what was changing my body so much before, I would like to get to that point again.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Rest days are good too, recovery is necessary for muscle growth and adaptation. Every minute that you do Insanity is still a workout - even if you don't make it all the way to the end, every minute you do complete still counts!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Finally had an Insanity workout last night that I am proud of. It was the first time this shift that the reason that I had to stop was because my fitness level wasn't there, not because my body parts were hurting me. There was even a spot where I had to rest because my heart rate hit 180. Although it may sound weird that I am happy I had to rest due to my physical ability, it's much much better than having to stop because my body was failing. Physical endurance and strength can be built on, getting hurt is getting hurt. All in all it was a pretty good feeling and I ended the workout a sweaty mess.

Calories in yesterday were 2112 calories out 3864 for a deficit of 1752

Running deficit 18 387
    Theoretical weight lost 5.25lbs

I don't know if it was the high from working out, or some stress from dealing with issues from my small business back home but had a really hard time getting to sleep. Laid in bed for well over an hour tossing and turning. I did get up and go for a walk but only had time for 35 minutes.

With any luck I will be able to have another successful workout tonight!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Went home last night and immediately sat on the bed and opened my laptop. At 11:00 I started getting ready for bed then decided that I shouldn't be so fricken lazy and got into my workout gear. I put in the Insanity disc that I have failed at twice before. The first time it was my calves and the second time it was my hamstrings. Happily I was able to get past the 22 minute mark for the first time this shift. I couldn't finish the workout because I was just too exhausted but at least that is something I can work on.

Food was higher than I wanted it because I stopped off and grabbed some BBQ but I'm not to concerned about it. Still ran with over a 2lb a week deficit for the day.

Calories in 2339 calories out 3398 for a deficit of 1059

Running deficit 19 446
    Theoretical weight lost 5.56lbs

Because I didn't go to bed until around 1am there was no way that was able to get out and go walking in -21 so I am behind the 8 ball now on steps. It's already lunch time and I'm only at 1200 steps. I am going to have to pick it up here.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're making great progress, keep it up!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Last night was another Insanity workout. Again I made it through until the end but with a lot of standing around panting watching the fit people doing their thing on my computer. I am noticing that today I am not near as sore as I have been so my body must be adjusting. Food intake was pretty good yesterday as well.

Calories in 1741 calories out 3819 for a massive 2078 deficit

Running deficit 21 524
    Theoretical weight lost 6.15lbs

Having troubles getting to sleep at night now and dragging myself out of bed in the morning is even harder. I didn't go for a walk this morning so I am going to have to figure something out to get moving today. I would like to keep these big deficits up for another 12 days when I leave. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but when I left home on December 30th I was 242.0lbs. I had set a goal of being 229.9lbs or less when I got home and I will need large deficits to do it. Since I am not willing to eat less it means that I have to move more. Sitting at a computer for over 12 hours a day is not helping that matter.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I usually take licorice root or have licorice tea if I find sleeping tough - it's an adrenal supporting plant.
  • 50extra
    Options
    If it continues to be a problem I am going to have to look into something. Last night it wasn't an issue at all. I got to the apartment from work around 8pm and was asleep by 8:05. I woke up at 11:30 to call call from my wife and daughter so I woke up and cooked a couple meals for the next few days. No workout last night as it was a rest day for Insanity, unfortunately my steps were only at 3156 for the day so calories out were low.

Calories in 2007 calories out 2869 for a deficit of 862

Running deficit 22386
    Theoretical weight lost 6.40lbs

After getting a good night sleep I did wake up early enough to head out for a 48 minute walk. It snowed a bit last night and warmed up to -16 so it was rather enjoyable.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Last night had a lack luster Insanity workout. Not happy about it but not too disappointed, I just thought that after a day of rest I would have had more energy then that.

Unfortunately I ate a large snack after my workout and that put a damper on my huge deficit I had going.

Calories in 2170 Calories out 3901 for a deficit of 1731

Running deficit 24117
    Theoretical weight lost 6.89lbs

I am excited to get home and compare my actual weight to what I was "supposed to lose"

This morning I woke up a bit too late. I didn't have enough time to get a meaningful walk in so I hopped on my bike for a fairly easy 30 minute ride.

My watch has been bothering me for the last two days. I don't know what I changed but it is having a hard time reading my pulse. I do have a rather large (4") scar on my wrist that I wear it on but changing hands didn't help for my last two workouts. Hopefully it smartens up.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Last night started an Insanity workout, gave up mentally somewhere around the 30 minute mark, ended up hopping on the bike and went for an easy 30 minute ride. Huge deficit but still not happy with my workout, I know I can do better, my body is ready to push harder but apparently my mind is still weak. I'm running out of days to get down to the 229 mark. It can be done but it's going to take some work, hoping I can continue hard enough. On a side note, it's my birthday tomorrow and I have decided that I will celebrate with some beers, much of the deficit from today will be eaten up tomorrow from them.

Calories in 2097 calories out 4101 for a deficit of 2004

Running deficit 26121
    Theoretical weight lost 7.46lbs

Stayed up much to late last night and woke up much to late for my morning walk. Disappointing but my own fault.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! I hope you enjoy your celebration! =)
  • 50extra
    Options
    Thanks Kayla

I was lazy again last night, didn't do anything other than watch tv. Deficit was on point, although not on point to make my 229lb goal. Still pretty much at the 2lbs a week loss mark.

Calories in 1895 calories out 2962 for a deficit of 1067

Running deficit 27188
    Theoretical weight lost 7.77lbs

Do I feel like I've lost 8 lbs? Yes, do I think I have? Probably not.

Feels like not getting up in the morning is becoming a habit, a habit that I need to break.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    You're welcome! and yay for being in a deficit! That's still a win! Every day can't (and won't) be perfect. You've been doing great, don't focus on what you haven't been doing but focus on what you HAVE been able to do. You're still making progress and all progress even small (or in this case not necessarily as much as you want) is still progress!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yesterday went much like I expected. No workout. Lots of beer, lots of pizza, lots of calories. Stepped on my scale this morning to a nice 6lb gain over yesterday morning. It was rather amusing.

Calories in 3682 Calories out 3248 for my first surplus of the shift of 434 calories

Running deficit 26754
    Theoretical weight lost 7.64

No workout this morning.