Winter 2018 - Week 3 - Share A Beauty Secret...or Two

Options
2»

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Great thread! I like dry brushing with loofah mitts before showering. I dry brush then use body oil (I think sesame is traditional but I use whatever I have, right now it’s coconut oil). The steam in the shower opens up the pores and lets the oil soak in.

I like oils on for the face too. @SmithsonianEmpress I had oily skin in my 20s and used a neroli oil back then. @brianneangell08 I did not know this about jojoba, nice tip.

So many good ideas here...
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing makeup a few years ago, it wasn't even a close call between sleeping later or wearing makeup. But, now I don't even put any on if I go out for the night. I am in my late 30s and should definitely be taking better care of my skin though. Any recommendations for fast absorbing, light facial creams for sensitive skin? Every cream I have tried in the past feels too thick and slimy on my skin, I never manage to use even half a bottle.
    As for strengthening your nails, don't do dishes lol. And use a decent lotion/ oil on your cuticles at least daily. You can buy a polish product called nailtque at salons- it is pretty good ( do not get the impostor -nailtek). Also if you get gel manicures at the salon they should last and shield your natural nails underneath.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »
    I stopped wearing makeup a few years ago, it wasn't even a close call between sleeping later or wearing makeup. But, now I don't even put any on if I go out for the night. I am in my late 30s and should definitely be taking better care of my skin though. Any recommendations for fast absorbing, light facial creams for sensitive skin? Every cream I have tried in the past feels too thick and slimy on my skin, I never manage to use even half a bottle.
    As for strengthening your nails, don't do dishes lol. And use a decent lotion/ oil on your cuticles at least daily. You can buy a polish product called nailtque at salons- it is pretty good ( do not get the impostor -nailtek). Also if you get gel manicures at the salon they should last and shield your natural nails underneath.

I have super sensitive skin, eczema, dry...ick. My holy grail has been trying to find the right face moisturizer for like 25 years lol. I started using the Mary Kay botanical line this fall, and so far, it's been wonderful. I only use a very little bit and it does a great job absorbing, moisturizing, and I have not have any reaction with my eczema (so far!).
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a hair mask or some product to help nourish dry hair? I’m looking for something that won’t weigh it down once it’s rinsed. My hair is soaked in Moroccan Oil right now, I smell like a salon and things look a little stringy, oops.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I like dry brushing with loofah mitts before showering. I dry brush then use body oil (I think sesame is traditional but I use whatever I have, right now it’s coconut oil). The steam in the shower opens up the pores and lets the oil soak in.

I like oils on for the face too. @SmithsonianEmpress I had oily skin in my 20s and used a neroli oil back then. @brianneangell08 I did not know this about jojoba, nice tip.

Nicole, where can I find this neroli oil?...I looked it up last night but I was unsuccessful in locating it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a hair mask or some product to help nourish dry hair? I’m looking for something that won’t weigh it down once it’s rinsed. My hair is soaked in Moroccan Oil right now, I smell like a salon and things look a little stringy, oops.

Extra virgin coconut oil maybe. Mind you I do not have hair like yours. Lol! My hair is natural and VERY coarse (4c) but I use coconut oil during my washing process and it’s pretty awesome. Extra virgin olive oil does my hair even better but I don’t think that will work on your texture.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited January 2018
    Options

Nicole, where can I find this neroli oil?...I looked it up last night but I was unsuccessful in locating it.

It was a Decleor face oil, I wonder if they still make it... the ylang ylang face oil was really good too. I worked at a spa way back when. We used a lot of aromatherapy! Good tip on using the coconut oil on hair too. Why don’t I already do this, lol.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have oily skin with frequent breakouts. Can anyone recommend anything?

Over the past year I started using a face wash and gel that contains benzoyl peroxide. My routine is wash first, gel on my chin (that's where I get my breakouts) and then I follow up with a light weight moisturizer. I use Lubriderm brand and honestly, it's not an expensive brand but it's one of the best that I've tried!

After using benzoyl peroxide in my face routine I haven't used concealer in a few months now. But you need to use it everyday.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have oily skin with frequent breakouts. Can anyone recommend anything?

Over the past year I started using a face wash and gel that contains benzoyl peroxide. My routine is wash first, gel on my chin (that's where I get my breakouts) and then I follow up with a light weight moisturizer. I use Lubriderm brand and honestly, it's not an expensive brand but it's one of the best that I've tried!

After using benzoyl peroxide in my face routine I haven't used concealer in a few months now. But you need to use it everyday.

Got it. Thanks.
  • arameni
    arameni Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't have any secrets (or beauty, lol), but can I request a tip?
    Has anyone tried/had success with drinking spearmint tea for acne? I just bought some because I heard it helps with hormonal acne.
    I've use a benzoyl peroxide gel, 2.5% from acne.org for over a year regularly and I'm still breaking out everywhere (cheeks, forehead, jawline). I added the otc differin gel to my routine in November, so I still need to give that some time to work.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    arameni wrote: »
    I don't have any secrets (or beauty, lol), but can I request a tip?
    Has anyone tried/had success with drinking spearmint tea for acne? I just bought some because I heard it helps with hormonal acne.
    I've use a benzoyl peroxide gel, 2.5% from acne.org for over a year regularly and I'm still breaking out everywhere (cheeks, forehead, jawline). I added the otc differin gel to my routine in November, so I still need to give that some time to work.

I use a 5% benzoyl peroxide gel and 5% face wash. Not sure if that would make more of a difference than 2.5%. Probably depends on what type of acne too.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited January 2018
    Options

Jessica, it’s the Decleor Aromassance oil. But I used it way back when, in my spa days. I like the jojoba oil idea from @brianneangell08 !

Why am I not using coconut oil on my hair already?!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I started using some dermalogica stuff a few days ago. Hoping this will help my face as well.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    In a dry climate and winter indoors heat, the thin skin on my shins gets really dry. I find that petroleum jelly is best for this.
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    jyoung3507 wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening nails? Mine are terrible - if I polish them at home they get dry and start peeling. This is a thousand times worse if I get a professional manicure. It takes forever for them to get back to normal.

I have the same problem, my nails aren't necessarily thin, but they peel at the ends and they are impossible to grow out. I've ditched the regular polish and have starting wearing Essie TLC, it's a one step strengthener and color. I put on two coats, then a few days later another coat. It seems to be working, my nails are slightly longer, I've been using it for about 3 weeks now. Nice color options too. I'll probably stick with it for a few months vs regular polish.
  • kpush910
    Options
    I have pretty average skin, it gets red and windburned easily, but otherwise good. I used expensive/higher end face cleansers and moisturizers for years - Kiehls, Benefit, Exuviance, Estee Lauder. About 2 months ago, I decided to simply my routine and cut down on my Ulta expenses! I started using regular old Cetaphil foaming cleanser, Cetaphil nighttime moisturizer, and kept my Kiehls SPF 30 multi-corrective day moisturizer. Guess what - it works! My face feels really clean, not dry, not red, and super smooth. I love it - and I'm spending 50% less than I used to.
  • kpush910
    Options

I like "It's a 10 Hair Mask" . My hair tends to get dry and tangled after I wash it .I use the hair mask every other week and I love how my hair feels for several days afterwards. Smooth and NOT stringy. Especially important with blonde hair.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    kpush910 wrote: »

I like "It's a 10 Hair Mask" . My hair tends to get dry and tangled after I wash it .I use the hair mask every other week and I love how my hair feels for several days afterwards. Smooth and NOT stringy. Especially important with blonde hair.

Good suggestion! Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.