A little help please...?

Options
toughgirl1228
toughgirl1228 Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Hey everyone. I just joined this group a couple of days ago and I need some help. First of all, I don't know how to add people on this website. Secondly, I have been working out almost every day and tracking what I eat for nearly a month, but I'm not losing a single pound. I am 5'7" and 152 lbs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I, too, joined a couple of days ago, but you should be welcomed nonetheless.

1) From the MFP FAQ page:

On the Web - Username or Email address
    Log into your account on our website at http://www.myfitnesspal.com. Mobile app users should log in using the same username and password they use in the app.
    Click the "Community" tab, then click "Find Member." Fill in the "Username or Email" field and click "Search." You will be taken to the member's profile page, where you can click "Add as Friend" to send a friend request.

In our iOS or Android apps - Username or Email address
    Launch the app and visit the "Friends" page.
    Tap "Add Friends" or the "+" symbol in the upper right then tap "Email or MyFitnessPal Username"
    In the "To" field you can enter the email address or MyFitnessPal username of a current member to send a friend request.
    Put in the email address or username, then fill in your Name and Message and tap the check mark in the upper right hand corner.

I hope that makes sense. I admit that I had to read it twice myself.

2) Sometimes your body has a delayed reaction when it comes to weight loss/gain. I gained 10 lbs when my mom died because I was eating hospital junk food during the month that she was in the hospital. The scale didn't move a millimeter until a week after I came back home. Perhaps that's what's happening to you. How do you feel? Do you feel stronger, better?

3) On the other hand, maybe you are consuming more calories than you think. Are you weighing and/or carefully measuring your food? Sometimes we can eat more than we think if we're not super careful. Glasses, plates, bowls and portions have gotten so large that it's hard to gauge how much we're truly eating. Plus some food can be much higher in calories than we think. For example, I got a breakfast sandwich from Starbucks the other day and it was 490 calories! I would have guessed maybe 250.
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Our stats are about the same! I understand your frustration. I'm experiencing the same thing.

I'm going to take the prior posters advice and focus on accurate measuring. When I log, I always chose the lowest calorie version of the food (the smaller banana vs the larger one...it sounds insignificant, but there is an 80 calorie difference...and enough of that fudging, and I think that is where my problem is.)

• Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! :)

That must be very frustrating... Silly question, but are you sure you consume less than you burn?

As for adding people, if you're adding from forums, it's even easier: click on the username, on the next page click on the username again and then you should see Add friend button.

I just added you, if you don't mind. :)
  • toughgirl1228
    toughgirl1228 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. I notice that I can do more push-ups than a few weeks ago, and I do have more energy.
    2. I don't have a food scale, but I do log everything that I eat, even if it's a bag of tea (without sugar of course) or a piece of gum. I exercise almost every day, and I log that as well.

Maybe this will just take more time than I thought. I just read this website's article about genetics and body shape. I even went to my doctor, and he said everything about me was fine. THANK YOU GUYS for the feedback! I appreciate it! :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you don't use a food scale you could very well be eating way more calories than you think. The good news is that you now know what your maintenance calories are for "loosely" logging. If your weight still doesn't budge after another week, try lowering your calorie goal by 100.
  • ssurvivor
    Options
    Getting a scale is a sound investment. You don't have to get a top of the line model. You can get one for the cost of a fast food meal. Aside from keeping you on track, think about the money you'll save on food. When you eat true portions, you buy food less often, recouping the cost of the scale within the first year.

My last PA cooked for me when I was too sick to cook for myself (she loved to cook). We were wasting so much food, I made her start using my food scale to cook correct portions. In one month, I saved $20 in grocery bills.
  • southerngirllostinqueens
    Options
    Hi and welcome! The other thing to remember is that you may be swapping out muscle weight for fat weight... take your measurements, those are important too. This is particularly true if you aren't significantly overweight. While a lb is a lb... muscle takes up less space...

Also If you utilize a strength training regimen, you can expect to gain 3 to 5 lbs. of muscle mass in three to four months, bringing your net caloric effect to 15 to 30 calories per day. The best way to benefit from the calorie-burning potential of your muscles is to actually use them. Your basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body uses when you are at rest, typically accounts for 60 to 75 percent of the calories you burn in a day.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/53261-lose-pounds-two-weeks/
  • ssurvivor
    Options
    The other thing to remember is that you may be swapping out muscle weight for fat weight... take your measurements, those are important too. This is particularly true if you aren't significantly overweight. While a lb is a lb... muscle takes up less space...
    This is solid advice. I wish I had been brave enough to mention it...

• VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    One other thing I would mention is that if you're using MFP to estimate how many calories you're burning doing various exercises, you're overestimating your calorie burn. There are online calculators that will more accurately estimate your calorie burn; usually I take the average of multiple estimates to be more accurate. Also if you're using a machine's calorie burn estimate, it's even more inflated than MFP because they want you to use that machine more.

Whenever I log things in MFP, I choose the lower calorie option. For example, there's two "calisthenics," one general and one vigorous, and I always select general to have an estimate that's closer to reality. Also, I only eat back ~75% of my exercise calories at a maximum because I'm pretty sure they're still somewhat inflated.
    Options
    Also if you're using a machine's calorie burn estimate, it's even more inflated than MFP because they want you to use that machine more.

Wow, of course! Thanks so much for pointing this out Victoria! Why didn't I think of that... I am wondering how my peloton and my heart rate monitor may differ in their estimates of my calorie burn... This is why I also try not to give myself credit for my exercise calories in my diary, at least not while I'm building up my stamina...

Options
    I used my OT heart rate monitor and my peloton to compare stats for my 45 min cycling class last night... OTB 564 cals and avg HR of 145... Peloton was 485 cals and avg HR of 145...I guess they are fairly close but that 80 cals is like 4 TBS of 1/2&1/2... and almost a glass of wine...