Why have I never done this right?!

Options
haha everyone like the clickbait title?

I've keto'd on and off at different times. I have always done a poor man's version of keto/bulletproof coffee.

Black coffee, pat of butter or coconut oil and drink.
No mixing, blending, shaking, barely stirred.

Today is the first day I have ever blended it up. I am absolutely blown away by the taste difference. it is so GOOD!!!! Now I'm trying to figure out how I don't drink this all day!!

sorry had to share somewhere, just stunned by the difference!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL. Blending/whipping it does make a huge difference. :)
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What is the recipe for bullet proof coffee that tastes the best? And how do you mix it all together? In a blender? I drink black coffee, but if there is a way to get in more fats, and it tastes good, I'm in!
  • natedecker13
    natedecker13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    so i made two different ways today.
    1st was cup of coffee - I count my cups as 16oz travel mugs
    1tablespoon of butter
    poured into my french press container - needed room to whip up with immersion blender

2nd cup
    16 oz coffee
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon nutiva coconut oil
    same large container and hit with immersion blender.

I have seen some really good reciepes in the different posts that look really good and will eventually try.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued. I have all the items to make this, but doesn't blending it make the coffee cold? Or not really? Can you achieve this in a regular blender and if so how long do you mix? Can you whisk it by hand? I have so much to learn! Does salted vs unsalted butter make a huge difference?
  • jenny373
    jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a pour over for my coffee and then blend with butter in a nutri bullet. Doing both of those things when starting with boiling water does not end up cold. It tastes wonderful! I also sometimes add a bit of heavy cream or some drops of Stevia.
    You can use a regular blender, and immersion blender, or a milk frother but you won’t get the best results whisking it by hand. It’ll be more greasy, less creamy.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tweak mine depending if I need more or less fat for the day. Some days I am too lazy to get out the blender but it definitely makes a huge difference.
  • natedecker13
    Options
    Shannon, the coffee stays nice and hot for me. I blend for roughly 30 seconds. I've been doing salted butter and I like the taste, not all may agree. going to make butter this week to use in coffee. I'll let you know how it is.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Shannon, the coffee stays nice and hot for me. I blend for roughly 30 seconds. I've been doing salted butter and I like the taste, not all may agree. going to make butter this week to use in coffee. I'll let you know how it is.

I made it today and other than my blender lid coming off and making a huge mess ( I will be holding it down from now on lol) it was a success and I liked it! I didn't realize my coconut oil is unrefined while I'd prefer refined and used salted butter which I didn't mind but I will be having it regularly!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I made it today and other than my blender lid coming off and making a huge mess ( I will be holding it down from now on lol) it was a success and I liked it! I didn't realize my coconut oil is unrefined while I'd prefer refined and used salted butter which I didn't mind but I will be having it regularly!

@Shannonigans84 - You need to vent the lid...some have a pour spout - I just open that and keep my hand over it to prevent any major "explosions," but holding the lid tightly can actually be bad, as it will allow the steam to vent one way or another... If you don't have a pour spout, keep one corner of the lid up and hold it in place with a potholder, just to be safe.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Experiment with your BPC. I've added cinnamon, coconut butter instead of coconut oil, etc. I've also enjoyed BPHC bullet proof hot cocoa with the butter and other stuff added. Have fun with it and try out different things. :)
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do 2 tbsp salted butter, 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream, I have a hand frother that I blend it with and its amazing! I also have added cinnamon, and I have added grey sea salt.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It works with any hot beverage, as @RAC56 mentioned. I've done it with tea and a homemade keto cocoa, too.

Additionally, Mark's Daily Apple has the Primal Egg Coffee recipe on his site, for hot or cold consumption, and the fresh brew temp of your hot beverage is enough to cook through the egg or yolk, custard style, and makes a super creamy addition, also...

@jennfl5366 - Sometimes spices like cinnamon don't suspend well in the drink, and they can actually be added to the grounds when brewing! :)
  • natedecker13
    Options
    thank you all for the great ideas to try!!! first morning without it today... yep I'm addicted now! it just wasn't the same!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do the lazy man's version: use a spill poof travel mug and shake vigorously, repeat every 10-15 minutes. ;)

I also use very little coconut oil or butter so I can do this all day long without using up too many calories. I use less than a teaspoon, and 1 teaspoon = 1/3 of a tablespoon.