Breastfeeding and Keto

Options
squeeeyk
squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
I've scoured the internet to no avail so I thought I'd ask around here...since I've gone keto, my breastmilk has been super thick and creamy with barely any foremilk/hindmilk separation. Does this mean the baby is getting a higher caloric load from a smaller amount of milk since it is so creamy?

Also, he's always been a super gassy baby, but it has worsened since I began keto. This could just be coincidence, but has anyone else experienced this with their little one?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How old is your little one? Are they ebf?

I would be hesitant to change my eating if it was impacting supply for a younger baby.

• squeeeyk
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    How old is your little one? Are they ebf?

I would be hesitant to change my eating if it was impacting supply for a younger baby.

He's 5 and half months old. I kind of went headfirst into keto when he was 4 months old and suffered a small supply drop during the transition, but it went back up shortly after. Looking back, it probably would have been a better idea to transition slower, but alas, hindsight is 20/20. As it stands, things are working well. He's been very gassy since birth, but I've noticed this last couple weeks or so he's really struggling with it at night. I can't decide if diet is playing a part or if it's a phase. He's also teething, so it makes it extra difficult for me to pinpoint fussiness in general (i.e. is it a sore mouth, big gas bubbles, hunger, sleepiness, etc.).

Just curious as to others' experiences.

Edit: He was ebf up until the last 2 weeks when I returned to work and he ran out of my stash. He now gets maybe 10 oz of formula a day while I'm gone. I buy a wonderful soy free formula without all the crappy sweeteners and garbage, shipped from Germany. He seems to enjoy it and doesn't appear to struggle any more or less with gas following a bottle of my milk vs the formula.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would be hesitant to go keto while breastfeeding if you were not already keto just because your body is already doing so much with that whole creating nutrition for another human being and it's a lot of stress to deal with a drastic dietary change on top of that. If it were me I would just go low carb and aim for like 100g/day, but it's your body and your call and at this point you are already a month in.

It's pretty normal for kids to experience some digestive upset (either more spit up or more gas or diarrhea) when adding foods to a previously ebf diet - so I don't think there's any reason to assume the change is due to your diet rather than due to the addition of formula. Even if the formula itself is fine, it's still a big change for him to add something new to his food routine.

Also 6 months is a common time to start getting teeth, so that could be contributing to fussy behavior.

Just curious, why is he not getting other food yet? My kids are older, but I started them on rice cereals and such at about 3 months old.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    I would be hesitant to go keto while breastfeeding if you were not already keto just because your body is already doing so much with that whole creating nutrition for another human being and it's a lot of stress to deal with a drastic dietary change on top of that. If it were me I would just go low carb and aim for like 100g/day, but it's your body and your call and at this point you are already a month in.

It's pretty normal for kids to experience some digestive upset (either more spit up or more gas or diarrhea) when adding foods to a previously ebf diet - so I don't think there's any reason to assume the change is due to your diet rather than due to the addition of formula. Even if the formula itself is fine, it's still a big change for him to add something new to his food routine.

Also 6 months is a common time to start getting teeth, so that could be contributing to fussy behavior.

Just curious, why is he not getting other food yet? My kids are older, but I started them on rice cereals and such at about 3 months old.

I didn't see the need for rice cereals as filling him up with something other than breastmilk wasn't going to help my supply any nor provide the same amount of nutrition. We just started him on baby led weaning to solids (I fudged and started a couple weeks early) as he is showing signs of being ready for real foods.

I admit I probably shouldn't have began such a huge change, but as you said, it's already been over a month and I think reverting back would just create more stress on my body.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium? Are you aware of the role of sodium in hydration and how keto is a naturally diuretic diet?

Look for the ketogains baby group if you’re on Facebook. They would be most helpful to you.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the all natural gas drops? My daughter was very gassy and this was the only thing that made her comfortable. I hope you find something that works! Can I ask why keto? I lost a lot of weight just eating normal but not so much and not so frequently because I was burning more calories breast feeding. What you're producing sounds good though. And keto foods typically aren't gas provoking so I'm not sure about that part.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    Have you tried the all natural gas drops? My daughter was very gassy and this was the only thing that made her comfortable. I hope you find something that works! Can I ask why keto? I lost a lot of weight just eating normal but not so much and not so frequently because I was burning more calories breast feeding. What you're producing sounds good though. And keto foods typically aren't gas provoking so I'm not sure about that part.

I developed psoriatic arthritis after I had him and I can't be medicated while I'm breastfeeding. Keto was suggested to help reduce the inflammation and so far it's really been improving my back pain (although I still struggle some with my hands). I'm eating at maintenance so as so not hurt supply and I'm at the high end of carbs (50g) for the same reason.

I've tried the gas drops and they don't seem to do much, but gripe water has been a blessing. I was only curious as to others' experiences and wondered if anyone had seen changes in the consistency of their milk like I have. I swear it looks like straight cream nowadays.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium? Are you aware of the role of sodium in hydration and how keto is a naturally diuretic diet?

Look for the ketogains baby group if you’re on Facebook. They would be most helpful to you.

I add generous helpings of salt and never had/have any issues with keto flu. I do urinate more frequently, but I seem to be doing well staying hydrated. I am aware keto is diuretic and am doing it to help reduce inflammation in my joints as I have arthritis and cannot medicate while breastfeeding. I don't have Facebook, but perhaps I can scour Reddit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »

I add generous helpings of salt and never had/have any issues with keto flu. I do urinate more frequently, but I seem to be doing well staying hydrated. I am aware keto is diuretic and am doing it to help reduce inflammation in my joints as I have arthritis and cannot medicate while breastfeeding. I don't have Facebook, but perhaps I can scour Reddit.

Ordinarily, just salting food, even if heavily, isn’t enough.
    You need 5000-7000mg of sodium a day. No way you can get that from just salting food.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my youngest for 21 months while keto. No supply or tummy problems. Studies show that really all the mother needs to do for her milk is get adequate calories and to stay hydrated which includes appropriate electrolyte levels. The body does the rest and takes all necessary nutrition from the mother. Other studies have shown that even in third world countries where nutrition is poor the composition of the milk, should the mother achieve the above objectives, is perfect for baby. So basically the macros of the mother don't matter as long as she eats enough calories to produce milk.

I have breastfed 4 kids (12 mo -selfweaned, 13 mo- biter!, 17mo- selfweaned, 21 months-selfweaned) and the only time they had problems with tummy was with my oldest and any times I ate chocolate or had caffeine she'd spit up. Caffeine caused spit-up in the others as well. So coffee was no go for me until the kids were older and nursing less.

HTH.