Jan 15 Weekly Challenge: The Missing Piece

Options
13»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    How is everyone getting on with their missing pieces? As well as I am I hope! Thank you Denise and everyone, am now checking out quigong and that ballet looks good, so much out there! Thanks again!!!

I’m still exploring the yoga resources that were suggested. I tend to do better with a routine, so my goal is to develop a series of poses I can go through morning and night. That could change, but that’s where I’m headed.

• themedalist
    Options
    Hiya all Noob here

Welcome to our group, @angelinaf2610! We are glad that you’ve joined us!
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    How is everyone getting on with their missing pieces? As well as I am I hope! Thank you Denise and everyone, am now checking out quigong and that ballet looks good, so much out there! Thanks again!!!

I’m still exploring the yoga resources that were suggested. I tend to do better with a routine, so my goal is to develop a series of poses I can go through morning and night. That could change, but that’s where I’m headed.

Ooooh yes love routine! Have found a 10 min morning and evening quigong routine, will be able to do the morning one by the bedside whilst waiting for hubby to go to work, we keep out of each others 'way' in the mornings lol, good luck with the yoga Denise!
  • cshock93
    cshock93 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cshock93 wrote: »
    Haven't gotten exercise in this week..i need to just make the time!

Yes, it’s about making the time to exercise. Some weeks are crazier than others, but making exercise a regular part of your life and making it a habit is so worth the effort! When 30 minutes isn’t possible, 10 or 15 minutes will still have an impact.

I really like how @MmamabearR put it last week in our Best Tips Challenge:

“I have to make the time to exercise. I was never going to have a window where I could look around and say, ‘Nothing to do. Good time to exercise.’ Nope – so I say, “This is my time to exercise and everything else will have to wait.“

I realize you already agree with this perspective, @cshock93, but it is so well put that I wanted to quote her.

It is very well put! And i made the time today. Only 1 out of 3 workouts this week, but still better than my usual 0. Next week i will shoot for at least 2!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,925 Member
    Options
    @nebslp , maybe I'll try the classical stretch workout next week. I've noticed it in your newsfeed in the past and wondered about it.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Glad you all are getting ready and tackle yoga!

I am doing pretty good with my Weight Watchers decision. It has opened my eyes, in the sense that I thought I was eating healthy. Not really. I had to up my veggie and fruit and healthy food consumption in order to see the changes I needed to see in my body. Thanks for this challenge. It was amazing!

How is it working for you? I am really feeling frustrated with the way I've been slowly gaining instead of losing! I was thinking the accountability of weighing in in front of people might help keep me honest, as well as the fact that I think they are a really good program. :smile: Years ago, I lost about 20 lbs on WW. Now here I am needing to lose about 40! seriously contemplating...
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Glad you all are getting ready and tackle yoga!

I am doing pretty good with my Weight Watchers decision. It has opened my eyes, in the sense that I thought I was eating healthy. Not really. I had to up my veggie and fruit and healthy food consumption in order to see the changes I needed to see in my body. Thanks for this challenge. It was amazing!

How is it working for you? I am really feeling frustrated with the way I've been slowly gaining instead of losing! I was thinking the accountability of weighing in in front of people might help keep me honest, as well as the fact that I think they are a really good program. :smile: Years ago, I lost about 20 lbs on WW. Now here I am needing to lose about 40! seriously contemplating...

@OConnell5483 I did it because I gained almost all the weight I lost last year and wanted some structure I no longer find on MFP. I love counting calories but I am eating a lot of things I am not supposed to. I do not know how the program was before, now you have a lot of healthy foods that are zero points and people are complaining because they over eat.

For me it is simple, I get 23 pts and that is my goal, to stay within those points. I have weekly extra I can borrow and also I can use my exercise points but I choose not to. I have lost 4lbs the first week and I am eating healthier than ever. I have the basic online program, no meetings, for six months only. Looks at what your eating; cut out breads, pasta, cheeses, sauces or condiments for at least 3 weeks, juices or sodas and start there. If after 3 weeks you don't see changes then join.
  • angelinaf2610
    angelinaf2610 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya all Just wondering what direction could you point me in to work on my midsection. I am losing weight and eating healthier, but there has been no change in my belly fat. Any help plz?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,925 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi @angelinaf2610, I heard many times that it is impossible to spot reduce. However, I've also heard that strength training can build muscle and that might do the trick. If your profile picture is current, you look pretty good. :)

Try checking out those links @themedailst posted at the top of this thread.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I finally found some extra time to finish reading all the posts from this challenge. I always glean amazing tidbits to ponder, words of wisdom, as well as sparkly gifts of encouragement tucked into the messages that are so generously shared <3 . I really do appreciate y'all and our group <3

For one of my missing pieces I decided to do some mini adding-back what I used to do, and have never picked back up again after leaving them by the wayside for any number of reasons: first, I've started using the rebounder again because of how kind it is on my feet and joints. In order to start adding that piece in I have begun to use it whenever there is a HIIT or boosted walking interval segment on my walking DVD, or I've just added in some minutes randomly if no intervals are in today's workout. Eventually I want it to become a part of my routine as a stand alone exercise.

I've also added back in using the Gazelle that I've had for years. For too long, once again, it has become a better clothes hanger than what it was designed to be. For both of these I need to build up my endurance until they can again become a part of, instead of an add-in to my routines.

After much reading and thinking I finally decided that my actual stand alone missing piece must be working on my balance. (I also want to work on consistently better quality as well as quantity of stretching after workouts. DVD workouts have not had consistently good stretching at the end, and I'm often adding in more as needed.) At any rate I'm looking at ways to combine balance and stretching in sustainable ways.

My balance has always been a problematic area from as long as I can remember. And I need to increase the stretching and flexibility factor also. Last night I ordered a DVD that has three short stretching segments, one standing, another sitting on the floor, and the third lying down as well as a longer one. I know when I do certain standing stretches that my balance is definitely challenged. I like all three forms of stretching and can do these after any exercise as the time frame of each segment is very do-able. I am hoping that this DVD lives up to the reviews.

As I progress I will look for other ways to increase my balance. There are a few basic Yoga poses/ moves that I'm familiar with that I plan to reacquaint myself with again. That will also help me.
    The Blender workout is much too scary for me right now, so I will start lighter and progress from there. But I know that I must face my balance challenge, now.

Thanks for another awesome challenge, resources and ideas to consider!

:flowerforyou:
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @texasgardnr so glad you found this challenge inspiring. I did too.
  • themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    “sparkly gifts of encouragement tucked into the messages that are so generously shared <3 .” What a lovely way to describe our group, @texasgardnr.

Good for you for returning to your rebounder and gazelle and focusing on balance exercises. Balance is too often overlooked, but it’s a vital component of health and fitness. We had a balance challenge back in September that might be helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10600284/sept-25-weekly-challenge-balancing-act

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, Yes, I kind of remembered that there was a balance challenge at some point, so I took a quick look over at that challenge, and sure enough I didn't post anything for that week. (There's that Blender again :s . )

And apparently for some reason I didn't read those articles either, which is unusual for me. I looked back at my exercise log and I was working out that whole week, so I don't know why that challenge slipped by me completely, or what else was going on in my life during that time.

Thank you so much for posting the link. Now that balance is on my mind I will definitely read the resources this time around.

:flowerforyou: