Any Vegetarians or Vegans?

Options
DawnCumm
DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
As I start planning for my post op diets, I do know about tons of mock meat products to make sure I get the protein and vitamins I need. Just wondering if anyone has advice for a more clean eating approach with less processed foods? And how many vegetarians might be on this group? Just wondering about these considerations since we absorb less nutrients overall. : )

Ok, and I am one week out and stalking all your message boards since I am homebound.

Replies

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not sure but take it one day at a time I know ever since I started taking my new all natural supplements, I have noticed my cravings have drastically decreased, I am getting all the nutrients I might be lacking and I feel much better.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I am evolving in clean eating now. As much as possible. We will see how it goes. I am a vegetarian but need to cut out a lot to change my old habits.
  • buxombrunette
    buxombrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm pescetarian (vego plus fish) and struggle to get my protein every day. I'm not huge on fake meat. Protein water can really help. Good luck!
  • barefootot
    barefootot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat plant based most days, I do eat fish and dairy sometimes and other meat on rare occasion. My Dr and nutritionist are not big on eating vegetarian but I feel much better when I do. I relied on dairy (cottage cheese and Greek yogurt) and eggs more early after surgery to try and get enough protein. I sometimes drink Vega vegan protein shakes to help get my protein.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Thanks, yeah I want this change in my life to be more than just weight loss. I have been a vegetarian for more around 30 years and before that limited meat. That part is easy, moving away from processed flour products and cheese is my hurdle. Going to start with limiting and evolving away more and more over time......will see how it goes.....
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegatarian that suppliments my diet with meat. ;-)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm a failed vegetarian. My bariatric surgeon is actually a vegan and doesn't ascribe to the theory that our diet should be protein centric-- he's even written a book about it.

I gave it a solid 6 months of no meat, fish, etc. but I was already struggling with low ferritin and it became a battle that I couldn't win. I ended up with two iron infusions last year and will likely have at least one this year.

I also travel frequently for work and I started to feel like I was existing on Quest bars, protein shakes, and coffee with vegetables when I could get them.

Our diet is much more vegetable centric than it was before but I don't know if I have the wherewithal to try it again. I didn't miss meat per se but it felt like so much more work to feed myself properly and I never actually felt better.
  • Ecowles675
    Ecowles675 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am leaning more towards vegetarian. Not 100% there, having a hard time giving up my cheese and yogurt! My nut is not too big on the whole food and vegetarian diet, trying to figure it out on my own so I am always confused. And reading Proteinaholic by Garth Davis is not helping my confusion at all!!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Ecowles675 wrote: »
    I am leaning more towards vegetarian. Not 100% there, having a hard time giving up my cheese and yogurt! My nut is not too big on the whole food and vegetarian diet, trying to figure it out on my own so I am always confused. And reading Proteinaholic by Garth Davis is not helping my confusion at all!!

That's my surgeon.

• dhnorton
    dhnorton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am vegan & have been for 7-ish years. My dr is totally on board. No problem getting protein as plants have plenty. (ever seen a protein-deficient cow?) There are lots of websites out there that can give you information if you are curious or feel free to message me. You don't need to do the mock meat route if you don't want to - you can get all the nutrients you need eating plant based (except B-12, you'll need to drink fortified plant milks or take a supplement)
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    So I am good on what to cook/eat, been a vegetarian for 30 years....but 60 to 80 grams of protein is still high. As a vegan/vegetarian are you still doing this level of protein? Nice that there are a few of us out there....
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    dhnorton, can you give us a sample of a day of eating vegan. I'd like like to try it but I have no idea what a day of food would look like considering I still need to consider portion control.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If anyone knows of a vegan bariatric diet group - let me know. I was an O/L vegetarian for 9.5 years. Gave it mostly up when I adopted two toddlers from China who were malnourished. They are now 13 and 15, and confirmed carnivores. I plan to go vegan once they leave home, but right now I cook stir fries for them..... starting with meat. I pull the meat out of the wok, throw in the veg, pull out my share, then throw the meat back in. We also have tacos weekly. I’m careful to buy free range eggs and meat chickens from a non-GMO 4H farm. We buy beef and pork via an annual 4H auction - split it with my brother. I’ve met the kids and their animals at the fairs, and at least the critters have pretty good, free range lives... and just one bad day. Milk is a problem. My niece is a large animal vet and says organic milk is a farce - the cows get infections and can’t be treated with antibiotics. She has horror stories. I’m in the middle of trying to convert the kids to rice, almond or soy “milk” right now - we’ve been doing taste tests... no joy thus far.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    I am not familiar with any groups, interested too... Been O/L Veg for every, my entire family, son, grandchildren, others are either vegetarian or vegan. By using mock meats we have never had a problem with satisfying a carnivore. So you may not have to wait.... : )

I too am trying to move more into vegan eating, in the meantime I am buying from local farms that treat their animals well. I think cheese is my biggest problem for the family, in the meantime we just try to limit it as much as possible. I joined a vegan/veg group on FB, I like the recipes but the negative commentary on those who are not vegan are a little much...very judgemental.
  • barefootot
    barefootot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that told me her vegan Dr told her that people with type O+ blood do not do well without meat. I don't know if it is true or not but the only one in our family who feels worse eating vegetarian or vegan is my husband and he is 0+.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    You may want to seek out a nutrition expert. In my experience doctors are not normally well informed in these areas, just basic understanding. I have never heard of someone who can't do well with plant based diets. Too many scientists back it up....