50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Since you are more active you are going to need more rest, maybe going to bed earlier would help with the getting up.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yeah my sleep patterns are pretty messed up. The longer that I am in Russia, or the longer I am at home, the harder time I have falling asleep. I might be completely wrecked tired and still can't fall asleep because I can't shut my mind off. It's been like this for several years now. I've tried all the off the sleep aids but can't stand any of them because they all give me a hangover. Melatonin doesn't do the trick either, maybe because I've used it off and on for years my body doesn't react the same to it anymore. Years ago I went on an anti anxiety/anti depressant that worked well but kinda turned me into a zombie so I stopped that too. I don't even like taking Tylenol so a prescription didn't make me too happy. The only thing that works well is smoking pot (medicinal is legal in Canada) but I don't enjoy that much. Sorry for the ramble.

Last night I got to the grocery store for my last shopping trip of the shift. I now have all my food for the final week. By the time I got home, cooked, and talked to the wife it was 11 o'clock and time for a shower and sleep. I was already holding my 2lb a week calorie deficit for the day so I didn't NEED to workout. No walk this morning either, getting lazier by the day :smile:

Calories in 1893 calories out 2971 for a deficit of 1078

Running deficit 27832
    Theoretical weight lost 7.95lbs

Good news on the scale, four of the six pounds from drinking and eating pizza have already vanished, hoping that tomorrow morning I will be back to where I was on the morning of January 17th. I am not going to make the 229 mark by the end of the shift on the scale I have here but I am hoping that my "nice" scale at home tells me I did it.

Oh yeah, my wife bought me the garmin smart scale for my birthday, I'm excited to start using it so that I can automatically record more data. I am hoping that it helps for times when the weight stalls. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my other scale. My new garmin scale will be the official weigh in scale from now on.

Pretty pumped, 7 days until I am home, only 5.5 more days of work!

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Always nice to go home to friendly faces and friendly scales :smile:.
    Great that all the shopping is done - should give you time to squeeze in those last few workouts.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Going to throw out some ideas for the sleep thing.

1 - your body can't uptake melatonin without sufficient magnesium, and you have been working out a lot, and eating less, so magnesium stores are probably low - a topical magnesium may help (exercise stimulates melatonin production, so you probably have plenty of that and don't need a supplement)

2 - the busy brain syndrome when you try to sleep is usually caused by over stimulation of the adrenal glands - licorice root or nervous fatigue. Licorice is an amazing adrenal supporter, but can cause a slight increase in blood pressure for some people, so it should be avoided if you already have high blood pressure. Nervous Fatigue is a traditional chineese medicine blend that is also an amazing adrenal supporter and does not cause any blood pressure issues.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the week will go by fast and you'll be home before you know it! Awesome job on keeping the deficit!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Thanks for that information Tiffany. Will look into something when I get home from here.

Last night, more bad decisions, no workout. No workout this morning. Need to go home.

Calories in 3054 calories out 2895 surplus of 159

Running deficit 27673
    Theoretical weight lost 7.90lbs

The self sabotage is real.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @50extra All things considered, it could be worse. Pull yourself together, you still have a considerable number of days to make better choices so do it. You've been doing well, don't fall apart now. It's the home stretch!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yesterday was better. Finally hopped on the bike again and went for a fairly easy ride, still can't work up the courage/enthusiasm to do an Insanity workout.

Calories in 1874 calories out 3346 for a deficit of 1472

Running deficit 29145
    Theoretical weight lost 8.33lbs

No workout this morning. It's stupid cold here again (-34) so even getting steps in is painful while at work. That's -34 without the wind chill too. Hopefully I can get on the bike again tonight for another ride and still have a small chance at my short term goal.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Sorry make that -36 :smile:
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Awesome job on being in a deficit! =)
  • 50extra
    Options
    Nothing to report. It's too cold to have any enthusiasm. Cold on the ride to work, cold all day in the office, cold on the ride home. The energy that sucks is ridiculous. -38 today. 3 days of work left.

Calories in 2114 calories out 2668 deficit of 554

Running deficit 29699
    Theoretical weight lost 8.49lbs.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Same story as yesterday, -41, no exercise, 1.5 days of work left. A bit more steps out in the shop but nothing to write home about.

Calories in 1854 calories out 3449 for a deficit of 1595

Running deficit 30740
    Theoretical weight lost 8.78lbs.

Just this morning I was back down to the weight that I was on January 17th. That took much longer than I expected.
  • 50extra
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Last day in this frozen *kitten* hole. Start the two day journey home at 4am tomorrow morning.

Yesterday
    Calories in 1984 calories out 2094 deficit of 110

Running deficit 30850
    Theoretical weight lost 8.81 lbs

Apparently Garmin Connect wants me to go home sooner then I am supposed to. There's no way I only burned 2094 calories but when I go onto the web page it says "It looks like you changed time zones, your results will make more sense tomorrow" Gotta love technology!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I hope we get some updates while you are home!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Ditto to what Tiffany said. Safe travels!

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I guess that you must be home by now - hope the scale is friendly.

My last few months have been really busy but I've been popping backing here whenever I could to update my journal. Now that I have a bit more time, its easy for me to come back to posting regularly because I never really left.

I guess what I'm saying is have a great time with your family but don't forget your MFP pals here :smile:.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Hey everyone, I definitely don't plan on stopping the updates now that I am home. In fact, I typed up a really nice update yesterday on my iphone, clicked post and it simply vanished so i figured I would just update today. I am serious enough about keeping on track that I decided against booking another trip to Hawaii this time home just so that we could stay on track with eating right.

Well I weighed myself today and I hit my goal of getting down to 229. The first time I stepped on the scale i was 229.0 and I believe when I set up the new scale and hooked it up to my Garmin account I think it registered at 229.2. That means I lost 13lbs on this trip to Russia. I am happy with it but could have made much more progress with just a little bit more effort or enthusiasm.

Yesterday was my daughters bday party and I think I had 7 pieces of pizza between the party, supper and then a cheeky little bed snack! Even with all the pizza I was still under my recommended calories for a 2 lb loss thanks to a decent amount of steps throughout the day.

This morning after my weigh in on my new scale I went downstairs and ripped out a quick 25 minute ride on the Assault bike. I reminded myself about the love/hate relationship we have with each other.

So looking forward to this time home....

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I would like to see 219.9 by the time I head back to work. This is an extremely lofy goal because every single time since I started MFP I act like an idiot when I am at home and am lucky to even maintain a weight, let alone lose more.

I plan on checking in as much as possible because for me, as soon as I stop staying on top of things I immediately fall off of healthy living and revert back to my old ways.

Oh yeah, we are heading to an RV show today. That should mean a ton of steps that will add to the nice little calorie burn I had this morning. I will check in tomorrow and update the progress for the day.

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Glad you made it home safely!

Way to go on meeting your goal and glad to see you check in while you're home! Sounds like you're off to a great start!
  • 50extra
    Options
    It’s been a couple days since I checked in last. I’ve been doing alright in the calorie department but no where near a 2lb loss a week. Haven’t been able to muster up a workout either for a few days.

On Sunday we went out and bought a beautiful 42’ 5th wheel trailer for at the lake so I’m pretty pumped for that, they said it is going to be 8 weeks for delivery so hopefully it shows up before our trip down to Phoenix in April.

Haven’t had the energy yesterday or today to workout. I put two days in at my shop in town here. My body isn’t used to “working” for a living and by the time I get the kids to bed at night, I haven’t been far behind them.

I’m hoping to get back to he basement soon and get a god sweat on.

Oh and I keep flip flopping on whether or not to take a trip to a beach somewhere. My diet definitely doesn’t want me to do it, neither does my wallet but my three year old last night said “daddy, I want to go to Hawaii with you” so it makes me want to go somewhere. Perhaps Cuba???? Decisions decisions.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    We go to the beach all the time, but I'm only 2 hours from the coast and 4 hours from our beach house, so it's not a long trip or a pricey one for us. LOVE the beach, my favorite place in the universe!!!