Intermittent Fasting....

Options
schmilar
schmilar Posts: 26 Member
@joiahstewart can you tell me what led you to IF? it's something I've thought about, but it seems very difficult to keep track of.

Replies

• mombiejohnston
    mombiejohnston Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am also very curious! Looking forward to learning more about this strategy.
  • joiahstewart
    joiahstewart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great question! Well the event that led me to even begin my journey with intermittent fasting was really an accident. I am in the Army and have typically been active my whole career, up until I landed a desk job at Walter Reed Military Medical Center in Maryland. I worked there for 3 1/2 years and have since moved another duty station in Maryland earlier last year. I didn't realize how much weight I had put on in that 3 1/2 year span until I went to a military development school for a promotion I had just obtained. I almost was unable to attend the school because when I was weighed then taped I almost didn't pass the height and weight portion because I had ballooned up to 294. When I finally got to the point of graduation from the 3 week course I had lunch with one of my old friends from a previous duty station. She was stationed in the area and it had been about 2 1/2 years since she had seen me and the first thing she commented on was my weight and how chunky I was looking. It was a bit embarrassing, but I prefer that my friends tell me the truth to me about me. That is the only way a friend can be a friend, they have to be able to tell you when you need to get your life together otherwise they are not true friends. On that same day I had to attend the graduation for the service school. the graduation went well, afterwards my SGL (Small Group Leader - The class teacher) had told me that the commandant had made specific comments in reference to me and how I looked in my dress uniform. He had said that " Some of the graduates look like they couldn't pass a height and weight".

At this point I knew something had to change. I have tried being a vegetarian, vegan and pescotarian in the past, and by past that was for 4 months last year from July till October. This didn't work for me it just seemed too restrictive and limiting the choices of food I could intake. That was a by product of the documentary "What the Heath". I gave it a good go but it wasn't for me.

On December 27th of 2017 I was sitting around watching youtube videos, I think I was trying to watch a music video or something when a commercial popped up. It was a commercial with a guy with his shirt off and red arrows on various parts of his upper body. I was about to click off the commercial immediately, but he had began to speak about losing fat and weight without changing what you eat but when you eat. I was then drawn in and had heard the term Intermittent Fasting for the first time. I then began a youtube research quest, in a 4 day time span I think I had researched about 20 hours total on intermittent fasting, the pros/cons, methodology, scientific backing in addition to the various applications. I had officially drank the Kool-Aid by December 30th, to lose 80 pounds, keep it off and live a healthier life was my new years resolution.

I had an annual check up on January 5th of 2018 and my primary care manager told me that all my labs came back great but, she didn't like my weight. I told her that I was on my second day of IF (Intermittent Fasting) and she told me that she didn't think it would work and suggested that I eat 6 to 8 times a day. I just smiled and shook my head all the while thinking to myself, I have been there done that and had the t-shirt. I left the appointment feeling even more determined to achieve my goal.

I started my the lean gains method of IF which is the 16-8 method. It is when you fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour feeding window. I start eating at 1pm everyday and stop eating at 9pm every day. I generally have a cup to 2 cups of black unsweetened coffee every morning to help satiate my hunger if I get hungry. I typically don't get hungry until around 1230, I think my body knows when it is feasting time now. The coffee is a pivotal tool in the IF process, I don't know what I would do without it. My first meal is generally a lighter fair because I want to save calories for my later meal or meals. It is better for me that way because I know I wont eat for another 16 hours after 9 so the late meal has to be one that counts.

I have been successful with IF by maintaining a 500 calorie deficit from my BMR, as of today I am officially 18lbs down. This is all without the gym, exercise or cardio. I had to try IF without exercise first as a control, this was to make sure that weight loss was not due to exercise and that it was actually the application of the IF method. I will begin training again in the gym and getting my cardio in at least 3 days out of every week starting 29 January.

Thank you for your interest in my goal and I hope this answered your question!
  • joiahstewart
    Options
  • mombiejohnston
    mombiejohnston Posts: 121 Member
    Options

WOW! Thank you for giving us so much detail, and thank you for your service to our country! It sounds like you are really strong person who is on a great path and I wish you so much success in this journey! I’m off to do a little research about IF for myself, and I will let you know if I have any first hand experience questions :)
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @amandacmariej It was my pleasure, and I am proud to serve every single day. Please keep me posted on what you come up with after your research of IF. I will tell you this IF isn't a diet it's life. Enjoy your day and all the ones that follow, I too wish you nothing but the best and much success!
  • schmilar
    Options
    Thanks @joiahstewart for all the detail! The IF plans i've seen have been a lot of "+500 calories this day then -500 calories these 3 days and no eating for this many hours then this day you eat all day" and it just seemed very confusing. the 16-8 seems much simpler - I'll have to investigate!
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    Check this out. https://youtu.be/wifHZ9Qe5H4

I hope it helps and please let me know what you think.
  • joiahstewart
    Options
  • schmilar
    Options
    @joiahstewart thank you!!!
  • joiahstewart
    Options
    @scookie0403 my pleasure!