Keto bad for your liver????

Options
briteyes
briteyes Posts: 435 Member
What do we think about this recent article from Good Housekeeping?
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a47695/what-is-the-keto-diet/

It seems quite misleading and misinformed, leaving a lot of key details out....

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I can't read the whole thing right now. Too much misinformation.
    But so far...what a load! Speaking of B.S. :smirk:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Total load of BS, mainly based on the author's bias with no science to back up her claims.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love how the author claims all you eat on a keto diet is bacon, butter, and coconut oil!!! And claims that we don’t eat plants anymore... yikes! And how many people just read this crap and believe it???? I wanted to leave a comment but they don’t have a comments section... gee I wonder why??? So I left a nice IG post and made sure to tag them.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    briteyes wrote: »
    I wanted to leave a comment but they don’t have a comments section... gee I wonder why??? .

:lol: I looked for the comment section too!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    "Keto diets rely on an extreme technique to (temporarily) move the scale down a few pounds, and basically eliminates all joy associated with eating real food and living life."

Seriously? Don't go keto, it tastes like sadness and despair!

The article makes a big deal about the first few pounds of water weight and how it's just water and will be gained back with eating carbs. No weight loss beyond the first few pounds is acknowledged at all. I guess if you lost more than a few pounds with keto you must be imaginary!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I eat a lot more vegetables now than I did when I was noshing on the muffin at the local coffee shop. I also eat almonds for a snack. I just don't feel guilty for eating fat anymore. This is probably closer to how we are Meant to eat. Think about it, Healthy Meats, Lots of vegetables with limited junk. It's just a new approach.

I ate rotisserie chicken the other day with the Primal (avocado oil) Chipotle Mayo mixed with it. It WAS DELISH. I was so happy. I had roasted brocolli. My breakfast was boiled eggs, avocado and green tea. Guess who's breakfast was more full of bio available nutrients? Me or the guy who eats a slice of toast with jelly and coffee with cream and sugar.

Yup... ME ME ME!

+1 to this.

On another note: A piece of the problem/perception of Keto though can be found in forums with posts BY overzealous keto individuals who report only things like eating fat bombs, bacon and BPC loaded with coconut oil and Kerrygold butter.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I tried to finish it just so I know the comments some will make about it but it is worse than bad. I do not think to get something that wrong could be done by accident or ignorance.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    So I'm like a fairy, then? I'd better get purple sparkly wings. And a rockin' wand.

Oh, oh, ME TOO!! I need to know where to get some for me too!! :D;)<3
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Bad article.

My favorite was this gem:
    not to mention how hard (and boring) it is to eat mainly coconut oil and butter for months on end.

My dinner last night was a chicken thigh, roasted zucchini and a huge salad with avocado and vinaigrette. High in fat? Yes. But 3/4 of my plate was vegetables.

I can’t think of the last time I had coconut oil and butters just to keep my eggs from sticking to the pan.
    This kind of misinformation is infuriating but sadly every day I hear of someone trying to figure out how to eat “enough”...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    "Keto diets rely on an extreme technique to (temporarily) move the scale down a few pounds, and basically eliminates all joy associated with eating real food and living life."

Seriously? Don't go keto, it tastes like sadness and despair!

The article makes a big deal about the first few pounds of water weight and how it's just water and will be gained back with eating carbs. No weight loss beyond the first few pounds is acknowledged at all. I guess if you lost more than a few pounds with keto you must be imaginary!

So I'm like a fairy, then? I'd better get purple sparkly wings. And a rockin' wand.

Like you don't already have them...

:joy:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Well I've been eating off plan for the past few days and like next to none of those carbs have been veggies. I eat way more veggies keto. I don't even like veggies but they round out a keto meal nicely. However if I'm eating carbs I want rice, French fries, and ice cream.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I don’t remember the last time I’ve consistently eaten this much produce. And I want to eat it, which is even better!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of articles like this over the years and a lot of misconception about certain ways of eating from friends and family. A lot of people think Vegans only eat salads and LCHF only eat eggs and bacon all the time. I know there are extremes to any way of eating which generate bad news and that is the first thing a writer will latch onto since it gets views, sells adds, and who knows if the writer or company they work for has other interests in mind.

The concept of giving up sugar, processed food, and a daily double cheese burger with large fries and a 32oz coke challenges a persons comfort zone and snarky articles like this one are a kneejerk reaction to someone who doesn't have the willpower nor wants to give up on their "crack" foods so they will find every reason not to do so. I've also noticed a lot of these articles the writer only tries it 10-30 days for the sake of writing the stupid article so of course they need to make it somewhat entertaining and alleviate people's fears about something that might take them out of the comfort zone and instant gratification mindset.

No matter what if you are informed about what you are eating and how it affects your body and don't go to some extreme that puts your health at risk then it shouldn't matter.

The one thing I hear a lot from a lot of different people is "It's not like you eat *enter junk food of choice here* all the time so its OK to eat it a few times a month" and its those same people who crab about being overweight and eat that type of food all the time. That is who this article is written for it's not aimed at people who know there are better ways to eat and be healthy.