Input

Options
I have just decided to begin the Keto diet, I have seen some serious success from friends and really want to succeed. Can anyone share their success stories or even frustration? I am looking at the diet and it's hard to wrap my head around the fact I will lose weight and still eat this high of fat level. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DETRMND
    DETRMND Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well! I had this problem as well-wrapping my head around all the fat I was eating. I started Keto the second week of November and between then and Christmas I lost 7 lbs and felt great after I made it through the first week. Just think of it as an experiment and see what happens. You won't do yourself any harm eating Keto for a couple of weeks. You'll see!!
  • leisfeld
    leisfeld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time hitting the macros to get to Keto. I can't seem to bring up the fat without bringing up the carbs. See example day below. Is there any foods that have calories but 0 carbs? At a loss when it comes to trying to stay at 20g Carb, 60g Protein, 100g Fat and 1200 calories. This is the macro suggested based on an online survey.
    o49bd42nk236.jpg
  • dearmrsjurca
    dearmrsjurca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're looking at NET carbs. MFP doesn't calculate NET carbs, just total carbs. Subtract the amount of fiber you've eaten from your total carbs to get your net carbs. For example, that celery has 2g fiber, and the blueberries have 1g fiber. Check the other items and see how much fiber each has. Get a total of fiber intake, subtract from the total carbs shown by MFP and that will give you your net carbs.
  • leisfeld
    leisfeld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're looking at NET carbs. MFP doesn't calculate NET carbs, just total carbs. Subtract the amount of fiber you've eaten from your total carbs to get your net carbs. For example, that celery has 2g fiber, and the blueberries have 1g fiber. Check the other items and see how much fiber each has. Get a total of fiber intake, subtract from the total carbs shown by MFP and that will give you your net carbs.

I presume you were replying to my post. I have added fiber to the tracking so I can subtract but as you see in the above example. My net carbs are 24 and yet my calories are only 911. It worries me that I am not getting enough calories and fat and too much carbs to get into Ketosis.
  • czhao
    czhao Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started low carb diet for two week and just started Keto diet today. I am guessing you will need to add pure fat to your diet....use coconut oil to cook egg...or I also read to try bulletproof coffee (black coffee with butter).
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,274 Member
    Options
    jsbarrett3 wrote: »
    I have just decided to begin the Keto diet, I have seen some serious success from friends and really want to succeed. Can anyone share their success stories or even frustration? I am looking at the diet and it's hard to wrap my head around the fact I will lose weight and still eat this high of fat level. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone - jsbarrett3 you voiced my sentiments exactly. I had my yearly dr. appt. 2 days ago and she told me the only way I was going to lose my weight was through a keto diet! I've been doing a little research (and goodness sakes I'd have to have been living under a rock to not know people who have lost weight this way) but I just can't justify eating all that fat and protein!

But it obviously works - I just am having trouble figuring out exactly what to eat and not to eat. But - there are plenty of websites that spell that kind of thing out. My doctor also recommended an app "senza" that is specifically for tracking a keto diet.

Sorry for the lengthy post - but I would love to hop on board here and learn from others who have been down this road. Thanks.
  • czhao
    czhao Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've just downloaded Senza. I started to track food from myfitnesspal.com if you set your goal (say, 5% carb, 25% protein, 70% fat) myfitnesspal also can show you what left for the day. I stayed under 20 g carb yesterday and added a lot fat...this morning I was in trace of Keto!!! I was not able to get trace for past two weeks of low carb diet...I did not eat any rice etc, all carb is from veg and it did go beyond 20 g of carb....good luck and keep us posted!
  • candilc9
    candilc9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    leisfeld wrote: »
    I am having a hard time hitting the macros to get to Keto. I can't seem to bring up the fat without bringing up the carbs. See example day below. Is there any foods that have calories but 0 carbs? At a loss when it comes to trying to stay at 20g Carb, 60g Protein, 100g Fat and 1200 calories. This is the macro suggested based on an online survey.
    o49bd42nk236.jpg

Butter
  • nicolewherry
    nicolewherry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of calories and fat left for the day so I ate a tablespoon of salted butter! Yum!