keto rash remedies?

Options
62apples
62apples Posts: 132 Member
keto rash...any remedies besides quitting keto?

was treating it as a possible fungus or parasite..
but that was not working

then I read the keto info above this groups main page.
that is where I saw a perfect picture of what I have
https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-rash-people-itch-low-carb
Using vics seems to be the best so far to keep it to a min.

I am not young nor am I a keto beginner...
I only fit the "lost lots of weight"...50+
Regardless, the itch is intense...

so has anybody cleared this up?

Replies

• 62apples
    Options
    1. source says to add bile salts and bentonite clay
    2. lady used coffee grounds as a scrub in the shower; followed by lotion.
    3. after sweating, asap either exfoliate shower or wipe down the areas.
    4. tea tree oil for the itch
    5. turmeric
    Of all of these, bile salts is the most repeated personal testimony remedy.
  • 62apples
    Options
    turns out this is Not uncommon but not everybody gets it.
    Plus, the duration varies.
    it has other remedies than what I posted above.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had it right before Christmas (stress?) after being Keto for about 3 mnths. It lasted maybe 3 weeks. I refused to quit. Washed the areas regularly, covered in coconut oil, kept on top of my water and elytes and made sure I was eating every last bit of the 25g carbs I was allowing myself. Very glad it took care of itself. Good luck!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For most itchy things topical bentonite is an amazing treatment - not only does it tend to soothe the itch, but it pulls toxins and allergens out, which tends to speed healing.

Assuming the page you linked is accurate and it's caused by high concentrations of acetone in your sweat due to ketosis, then it's essentially a chemical burn created by your own body. I think the best treatment is going to be less severe ketosis, so maybe increasing carbs to a slightly higher level. You don't have your diary open, so I don't know what your carb level is like on average, but if you are zero carb or under 20, then maybe increasing veggies to under 50 would help? You would still be in ketosis, but with more carbs available it should reduce how many ketones, and thus acetone, your body is producing.
  • 62apples
    Options
    I tend to be around 30 carbs
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, when I had it, I had to treat my skin with witch hazel to clear the toxins, then coconut oil to protect it. Dunno about the rest.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - never thought about it, but I did use witch hazel after I got the rash and started googling for info. Also, every morning for years, even pre-keto, I start my day w a face rinse and a coating of coconut oil (oil pull w the coconut oil as well). This probably helped with my rash and I wasn’t even aware of it ;).
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I used frankincense and lavender and tea tree essential oils straight on mine to help with the itch. It started at my bra line on the front of my chest, wrapped around the back and slowly crept towards my neck. As it would move higher the lower portions would fade and it took about 3 weeks to clear completely. I tend to bounce in and out of Keto and have never had that happen before but I am wondering if it was because I was fighting lots of stress as well as very low carb in that timeframe.
  • 62apples
    Options
    It started at my bra line on the front of my chest, wrapped around the back and slowly crept towards my neck.

Yes, that describes my rash. I thought it was a fungus or candida (which is a type of fungus also). I have increased up to 50 to 60 carbs. The rash is clearing up. Still, keeping my calories in check; hoping to maintain at least for now. I only can lose weight while in ketosis, unless something has changed since losing 50 pounds, but I doubt it.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    It started at my bra line on the front of my chest, wrapped around the back and slowly crept towards my neck.

Yes, that describes my rash. I thought it was a fungus or candida (which is a type of fungus also). I have increased up to 50 to 60 carbs. The rash is clearing up. Still, keeping my calories in check; hoping to maintain at least for now. I only can lose weight while in ketosis, unless something has changed since losing 50 pounds, but I doubt it.

Here’s hoping it clears up for you! I had actually gone to my doc thinking it might the beginning of
    a shingles attack. Thank goodness she recognized the shingles rash and mine was not it! I never did get pain(I was waiting for it) just the itching so all I can blame is Keto. I am under 20gm carbs for the last two weeks and no sign of it. Hopefully it stays that way!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    50 to 60 carbs should still be ketosis, right?
  • 62apples
    Options
    different people have different keto thresholds. I fall out of keto over 40 carbs. Sometimes I can get away with that amount or 50 carbs if for a day and according to the carb timing. 0-30 is strick keto. 30-50 is moderate keto. 50-100 is liberal but I don't think many people can be in keto at 100 carbs. still, they will benefit from eliminating grains and sugar.

besides getting the keto rash, keto people can test positive for the alcohol breath test. this is called a false positive.
    to prevent this, tell the person that you are on the keto diet and be sure that they write it into the notes that you said this.
    ask for a blood test.