Ground turkey meals

Options
cmorehar
cmorehar Posts: 18 Member
Does anyone have good recipes or types of meals they can share with me for cooking with ground turkey? For awhile I've been doing ground turkey and whole grain pasta, but I am trying to veer away from carbs later in the day now. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I made chicken & “rice” soup recently, substituting cauliflower I threw in the food processor for rice. I browned ground chicken, added broth, then put in a bag of frozen mushrooms, some curly kale, a handful of Parmesan and a bunch of seasoning and it came out really well! Thick and hearty. You could definitely do it with turkey instead.

My one regret is not adding a little sausage—next time. :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you can turn them into turkey meatballs and eat them with zoodles instead of pasta

or make lasagne "noodles" from thin sliced squash and use the turkey in the meat sauce

ground turkey would also make awesome omelette filling with some cheese and onions/peppers

use it in chili (you can skip the beans or just use very few beans if you want to make it lower carb)

add it to alfredo or pesto with zoodles (and olives and mushrooms)

Make turkey burgers - add egg and maybe some steak sauce or ketchup/mustard to moisten it up a bit and make it stick together better

turkey meatloaf with mashed turnips and collard greens

You can pretty much do any ground beef recipe with ground turkey, just maybe plan to add an egg or some kind of sauce if you need to be able to shape it because the lower fat content in turkey will make it more dry and likely to fall apart during cooking.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Look up Mexican Meatloaf recipe. I don't have a specific recipe that I use since I just throw stuff together but there are lots of recipes on line and meatloaf makes great leftovers.

Really simple ones are basically ground meat of some sort, S&P, some jarred salsa, maybe a can of green chilis, some taco seasoning, shredded cheese, an egg and some sort of "bread" binder. I've seen Paleo recipes with almond flour versus bread crumbs but have never tried it.

Drain the salsa and green chilis if you go that route. Or just use fresh chopped peppers and onions. Turkey meat doesn't hold together nearly as well as ground beef IMO.

Chipotle chilis in Adobo or chipotle seasoning is a tasty addition.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    We do turkey burgers on the grill - great with a pinch of poultry seasoning/sage and a bit of chopped/crushed fresh cranberries mixed in. Sounds weird, but yummy like a turkey dinner with the juiciness of the burger. If your carb level allows, you can even use a bit of dried cranberries instead. Brussel sprouts roasted with bacon & a bit of garlic goes well and a nice green salad.
    You could also use it to make a keto pizza crust.... https://lowcarbyum.com/bacon-ranch-chicken-crust-pizza/
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    We do turkey burgers on the grill - great with a pinch of poultry seasoning/sage and a bit of chopped/crushed fresh cranberries mixed in. Sounds weird, but yummy like a turkey dinner with the juiciness of the burger. [/url]

Yum, can't wait to make this! Thanks for sharing.

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You can use turkey instead of beef in lasagna and use the fathead dough to make your noodles. I just tried this and it tasted good. I also do turkey burgers, chilli anything that I would use ground beef in.

Recipe for lasagna noodles is here:https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/just-like-the-real-thing-lasagna/
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    We make taco salads, meat and tomato sauce over eggplant, and a veggie soup. We've also used it for meat loaf