Keto without an oven?

Options
Hi guys!
My boyfriend has been really impressed with my family's results while on keto and wants to jump on board, but he feels (maybe rightfully so?) that it is going to be difficult because his oven doesn't work. He has a toaster oven and a stovetop (so bring on the stir-fry, am I right?), but I know it can be hard to cook filling and satisfying meals without an oven.
So my question- does anybody have any really great stovetop keto recipes? I really appreciate y'all's help!
Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Toaster oven should be able to handle the same kind of things an oven would -- roasting veggies, cooking chicken thighs, etc. If he's already used to not having an oven, I don't see why going to keto would be cause for pause.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Frying things in a healthy oil is also a very delicious way of preparing meats and vegs.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have a toaster oven and barely ever use the full-sized one. I make a lot of soups (on the stove or in a slow-cooker), bake individual chicken breasts, and make 6 servings of keto “lasagna” at a time in a pan that fits in the toaster oven. I also like to make small individual salads from my grocery store’s salad bar—I eat those as snacks or pair them with a protein for a meal. As long as he has some bakeware that fits in the little oven, I think that set-up should be fine!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have an oven but other than loaded cauliflower, I don't use it much. I cook mostly everything stove top.
    Bacon & eggs
    Sausages & Salad
    Fajita bowls, taco bowls (no shells)
    Grilled Chicken Caesar (no croutons)
    Stirfry
    Meat & Sauteed veggies
    Soups & Stews
    Bunless burgers

He could do roasts and other large meat dishes in a slow cooker. If he doesn't have one, they're a dime a dozen at the second hand shops :)
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    honestly, during the summer I never use the oven, because it makes the entire house miserable. look for any meat recipes that sautee on the stove top in a pan. I like any recipe that pairs meats with low carb veggies, so I can cook all in one pan:
    chicken marsala (chicken + mushrooms)
    fajita meat with sauteed peppers and a little onion (also really good cooked on the grill)
    italian sausage with eggplant and tomato
    bacon & shrimp and wilted spinach
    bacon wrapped shrimp cooked in toaster oven
    chicken tikka masala (I saw a recipe for low-carb naan, but haven't tried it yet)

I second the crock pot recommendation. it's an easy way to cook a large chunk of cheap meat that can be used for easy lunches during the week:
    beef stew (no potatoes, use a turnip instead, add a couple carrots, but mostly lower carb veggies, whatever you like)
    coq au vin (chicken cooked in red wine)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My favorite cut of beef is a chuck roast and I prefer to simmer it on the stove versus roasting it in the oven. Sear on both sides then add enough water or broth to cover the roast and simmer with some onions. I also add stuff like a couple bay leaves, red wine, a couple tbsp of tomato paste. Not essential but add flavor. Add whatever vegetables you want the last half hour-hour. More water/broth if needed. I add cabbage and celery for me. Carrots and taters for DH.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The only thing I cook in my oven is bacon and fathead pizza (rare treat). Hubby will do a pizza once in a while. There's always the crock pot, or instant pot if you are into new gadgets. Also, does he have a barbeque/grill? We grill throughout the winter on our deck in Western Canada....
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use a frypan, slow cooker, grill and benchtop mini oven. So many options on ways to cook he will be fine.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My oven's heating element went out 2 years ago and we've yet to replace it. The stove top works, we have a roaster oven, a slow cooker, a microwave, and a toaster oven. A slow cooker and/or roaster oven would increase the number of recipes he can use.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I grew up camping, so I can assure you that everything in the known universe can be cooked in a skillet. If you are in search of ideas try some of these or google keto camping or keto skillet meals:

lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-camping-outdoor-grill-recipes/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Toaster oven should work well. Other than baking bread and grilling vegetables once in a while I rarely use the oven. Both can be done in a toaster oven. You can make microwave bread in a cup too and saute the vegs.
  • TripleSnake
    TripleSnake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Actually, I used oven only to warm up the Good Foods pizza, and it can be done in microwave as well. I mostly cook stews, soups, stir fries, etc, sometimes use slow cooker, bake mini cupcakes in microwave. Bacon - in microwave, specific microwave bacon dish.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Only thing that I use the oven for is a roast or brisket and we haven't had either in awhile. I know folks roast their veggies (I don't as I prefer most veggies raw). Anything else I cook is on the stove-top or the grill.
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys SO much! I've never had a toaster oven and had no idea it could handle so much, haha. I'll be sure to share all this with him. Thanks! :)
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the crock pot and instant pot idea. Much cheaper than an oven and I use both all the time!
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower fried rice is really easy to make. All kinds of stir frys and egg dishes.