Brittle Nails

Does anyone else have experience with brittle nails?? I am over a year out and I have to keep my nails really short because they continually break. My boyfriend even noticed and asked about it. Any advice? I take my vitamins everyday, and I’ve gone back to adding my protein shake each day - just started it this week. My surgeon recommended more veggies, so I’m trying that. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    My nails have changed over the past 6 months. I'm 3 years post op. I'm trying to figure out if it's diet related or something else. I initially thought it was related to some fingernail polish remover I was using. I'm still not sure but will give you an update. I see my bariatric doctor in about 30 days. I'll be getting the full blood testing and will ask about the change in nails.
  • kindofhope
    kindofhope Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks! Any advice is welcome! I also still struggle with water, so not sure if that’s related. I had my annual blood work and it came back mostly normal, except I think folate was a little low
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I took Hair Skin Nails vitamins post surgery and they worked great for me. I had minimal hair loss and my nails looked great.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    A good thing to remember is not every odd symptom will be related to your surgery or weight loss. My nails got like this and my doctor found I had an overactive thyroid. They are fine now that I’m medicated for it.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    clcmfp, thank you for the information. Two years ago I talked to my primary doctor regarding my thyroid because I was losing my eyebrows. He had the labs run the test with a negative result, no thyroid problem. But I have an appointment coming up and I'll ask again. I was diagnosed with a mild form of alopecia causing the eyebrow loss, which I guess is better than a thyroid problem.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I have super brittle nails. 5 of them broke off just this week. But I've always attributed that to my hypothyroidism. I haven't noticed any significant change in my nails since surgery, even with taking extra biotin supplements.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    I'm not even sure anymore if my nails are brittle or not. I started getting dip powder done 7 months ago. I do know my toe-nails break and peel often still.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Samquentin wrote: »
    I'm not even sure anymore if my nails are brittle or not. I started getting dip powder done 7 months ago. I do know my toe-nails break and peel often still.

I started getting dip powder and I am addicted.
  • kindofhope
    kindofhope Posts: 8 Member
    Update - I worked on increasing my protein and eating more veggies and healthy fats, and now my nails are finally looking healthy and strong again :) I’m actually growing them out a bit now