Back on the wagon....

Options
2»

Replies

• lowil44
    lowil44 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Off the thread. Looks like the person who started the thread hasn't come back.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Two hours later I can check before supper and it will be 120 when I have not eaten anything.

I suspect I am dropping lower while I sleep and then the body is kicking in with dawn effect or whatever when I am waking up.

I'm having similar issues. during the day I can get fasting readings before lunch or dinner down to around 100, but still getting 130s in the mornings.

one site recommended waking up at 3 am and testing for a few days to see if you are normal during the night and just getting a "dawn phenomenon" rise in the morning OR if you are going too low into hypoglycemia in the night and then rebounding too high "Somogyi effect".

I still can't seem to find a 'fix' for dawn phenomenon. any suggestions?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

This may not be a very satisfactory answer, but I have decided that it is one of those mysterious things and shrug my shoulders. If the A1C is good, it all evens out.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Two hours later I can check before supper and it will be 120 when I have not eaten anything.

I suspect I am dropping lower while I sleep and then the body is kicking in with dawn effect or whatever when I am waking up.

I'm having similar issues. during the day I can get fasting readings before lunch or dinner down to around 100, but still getting 130s in the mornings.

one site recommended waking up at 3 am and testing for a few days to see if you are normal during the night and just getting a "dawn phenomenon" rise in the morning OR if you are going too low into hypoglycemia in the night and then rebounding too high "Somogyi effect".

If you can get a prescription for a Freestyle Libre reader and subcutaneous sensor, they can be had relatively cheaply, and you should be able to get a handle on your daily BG patterns with only one 10-day sensor. (FYI, I was able to snag 3 sensors for $40 at Walgreens.)

You could then try different approaches - taking whatever meds you take (metformin?) before you go to bed or when you wake up, exercising before bed or when you arise, eating/fasting at night, eating less or more the day before, having a shot of whiskey for breakfast :scream: ......etc.
  • scrdofbugs
    scrdofbugs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was out of town and just got back to the boards.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you back. :)
  • Memerex5
    Memerex5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Been a long time. Fell way off the wagon. Had some new health issues come up (diabetic and a complete herniation of L5) plus my DH passed on August 31 so tons of emotional eating.

5’4”
    New SW (and biggest I’ve ever been) : 234lbs
    Size 20-22 pants
    Breasts across nipples: 47” Waist 43”, hips 48”

Thoroughly disgusted, ashamed, and embarrassed with myself. But I know why it all happened and now I just need to figure out this diabetic diet crap. All I was provided was high protein and low carbs. Ugh.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Memerex5 wrote: »
    ...now I just need to figure out this diabetic diet crap. All I was provided was high protein and low carbs. Ugh.

There are some folks here who can help you with LC and T2 diabetes. Just saying...

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Memerex5 wrote: »
    Been a long time. Fell way off the wagon. Had some new health issues come up (diabetic and a complete herniation of L5) plus my DH passed on August 31 so tons of emotional eating.

5’4”
    New SW (and biggest I’ve ever been) : 234lbs
    Size 20-22 pants
    Breasts across nipples: 47” Waist 43”, hips 48”

Thoroughly disgusted, ashamed, and embarrassed with myself. But I know why it all happened and now I just need to figure out this diabetic diet crap. All I was provided was high protein and low carbs. Ugh.

I'm sorry for your loss. 2017 was not kind to you. :(

2t9nty is right. There are a number of people and old threads that might be of help to you. In the Launch Pad, the mods have put together a great sticky about T2D.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482542/diabetic-discussions#latest
  • Memerex5
    Memerex5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well I’m down to 222.4 as of today. Down 12 lbs. some progress in the activity level however it’s killing my back. Plan for this weekend is to deep clean the truck from my late husband’s mess, more yard work and hopefully start C25K!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped and started and stopped running over the years. Running has never been my thing but I love doing mini triathlons. I've used C25K to help get back into it and I've also used C25K for the treadmill. I really do love the program. It's a great structured entry (or re-entry) into running.
  • lynnaj
    lynnaj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on the wagon. Just got out of the the Hosp/ICU in June newly diagnosed with T2 and I've gone from 12.1 to 7.0 A1C in 41 days. I eat aprox 30- 35 carbs a meal. Shooting for 90 a day so far.Down a bit weight wise since I went in. I'm trying to focus more on making healthier choices. My vision was affected but thankfully my vision has almost gone back to normal as well.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    lynnaj wrote: »
    I'm on the wagon. Just got out of the the Hosp/ICU in June newly diagnosed with T2 and I've gone from 12.1 to 7.0 A1C in 41 days. I eat aprox 30- 35 carbs a meal. Shooting for 90 a day so far.Down a bit weight wise since I went in. I'm trying to focus more on making healthier choices. My vision was affected but thankfully my vision has almost gone back to normal as well.

Great job on that A1c. :heart: That's one of the great things about low carb diets. Keep it up!
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    >>My data from just a few days show a pattern of dipping into the low 60s/high 50s in the wee hours of the morning, then rising steadily into the 90s - 100s into late morning before I've even eaten anything.<<

My husband got the Libre a few months ago. He finds the Libre readings are consistently lower than the finger sticks. What have you found the correlation to be?

(Sorry, I don't know the correct way to do quotes.)