the FLU

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,831 Member
I just want to say that I have had it since last Sat and it totally sucks. :( Read an article that it is hitting baby boomers more than usual this year. I haven't had the flu or a virus in almost 10 years. Until now.

Replies

• curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A plague is upon our household. Hubbs, now officially a senior, got hit hard and missed three days of work. DD got it next, and missed 3 days of school. Her chest hurts so much when she coughs she gives herself a headache--strange, but the doc says it happens. I think we may have had one day in the last week when we didn't visit or talk to our doctors.

And everyone is sick at work. Stay home, people! It will be a miracle if I don't get the flu too.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I have had it since last Sat and it totally sucks. :( Read an article that it is hitting baby boomers more than usual this year. I haven't had the flu or a virus in almost 10 years. Until now.

feel better soon!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,969 Member
    Options
    I've heard this year's flu is an awful one... So far, I'm good (knock on wood).
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I’m just getting over it. Been sick since xmas. Rough ride, but kept exercising.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That sounds wicked, folks. Sending healing thoughts.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Since xms Farback?!! wow. I couldn't exercise even if I wanted to. My rhr is through the roof and I don't want to overstress my system. My fever has been gone since last Wed but the respiratory thing and the nightly meltdowns just keep on coming. I hope not to have this for 30 days but am taking it slowly. Back to work tomorrow but sure wish the coughing would ease up. I don't want to spread it around but can't see that staying away longer would be well thought of...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Recent news: Heart attack risk is increased when people have the actual, genuine flu (and somewhat increased during certain other temporary illnesses).

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/24/579997381/aw-seriously-the-flu-can-trigger-a-heart-attack-too

The usual cautions apply about evaluating news that focuses on relative risk, when we actually care about absolute risk . . . still, be careful out there, folks!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I’m just getting over the flu. The whole of my city has been affected. I’m drinking hot water with lemon
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    It is a tough one! I had it in November. Took me three weeks to get through it. First week was bad, but normal crappy flu feeling. Second week I was in bed with a fever - Not getting up except to get more juice or go to the bathroom or find another box of kleenex (went through three boxes, I think). Third week, the fever had broken, but it was the coughing up all the crap that made it to my lungs. Once the fever breaks, even if you are coughing, after 24 hours, you shouldn't be contagious.

Also, have a friend on her that is an ER nurse. She says this year the flu is mutating, so just because you had it, doesn't mean you are immune this time. So take precautions when you get through it to not get another strain of it. Glad I'm so anti-social...I think it has saved me from getting it again.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I am finally feeling almost back to normal (2 weeks in) and getting some exercise but honestly my logging and maintaining have really suffered. I needed an Rx from my Doc refilled last week, and he refused (what else is new) without seeing me. I decided to just let it be rather than risk contacting another strain in my immune deficient state. I am learning that Docs are afraid to refill ANYTHING without an appt these days even minor little drugs. I would use my work online stuff but the Docs on there are total quacks and most don't speak English as a primary language. I HAVE gotten some Rx from them but it's a struggle because they don't even check the formulary so I end up having to wait extra time for the Pharmacist to get back in touch with them to get the right generic or size or whatever which costs $30 vs $500. I know this turned into a little bit of a rant, but you would think after being with the same Doc for 20 years that he would not be afraid to refill something I use once every friggin 5 years. Now I just have to remember to get Rx refills for EVERYTHING when I do my annual appt which actually leads to me stockpiling a little but saves me a lot of money and time in extra Doc visits. I know we have a Rx drug problem in this country but everyone seems to suffer because of it.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I hope you continue to get better towards a full recovery, @SummerSKier. <3
    I understand the focus about keeping up with the refills. I have a condition that requires constant attention from a doctor. I do have to spend energy on making sure that I have what I need.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I heard that some ppl got the flu TWICE this years. Isn't that terrible !!!!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Twice! So not cool. 'Seems so not fair somehow. :(
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I have heard a LOT of folks getting it twice also. it's why i did NOT go to the Drs office while i was still feeling punky, I am 3 weeks past the first fever day and I am STILL NQR. The brain fuzziness is receding of course but the congestion still hangs on like a small cold. Thank goodness the nightly meltdowns have stopped but this is just nasty stuff. I can see how folks with underlying other health conditions would be in dangerous territory with this bug.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    My household got the flu a few weeks ago. We were all feeling so unwell. Ironically we all did the same time the year before. So I might actually get the flu jab next year. You never know it may help.

I hope everyone is feeling & getting back to full health xx
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    A lot of, people are saying they have never had the flu as bad as they have had it this year. I hope all you sufferers are better.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I had my flu shot last October
  • BBee5064
    Options

Did it make a difference?
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,969 Member
    Options

The last time I had a flu show was many years ago. Each time I've had the flu shot, I end up getting ill in the days thereafter. My immune systems is fairly robust. I might occasionally get a cold but even that is relatively rare.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Worst flu I ever had was about a month after getting a flu shot many, many moons ago.

Stopped getting the shot and have rarely been sick since. YMMV.