Binge eating

Options
wibblewobblejellyontheplate
wibblewobblejellyontheplate Posts: 58 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Hi,

So great to have this group available. I’ve been a binger for as long as I can remember.

I just wondered if anyone has any advice on worked for them or observations on what has helped.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @wibblewobblejellyontheplate

For me, exhaustion, stress, and hormones out of whack are like the trifecta of my most intense and regular triggers...

But since they are the triggers, I'd probably look for the underlying causes. For me, that involved sugar addictions, "leaky" gut or compromised digestion (I had my gallbladder taken out in December of 2000), circadian rhythm issues, and PCOS/hormone imbalances/thyroid dysfunction.

OMG, as I typed that out, I kept thinking of more contributing factors!!

Before I list out suggestions that helped me, personally, I'd probably suggest determining which things you can most easily address.

If changing jobs isn't a option, can you find better ways to deal the transition from work to home? (Transitions, and wanting a snack, worried you won't get a breath to yourself until everyone is asleep?)

Can you set up a stress plan for managing it better?

Can you get more sleep?

Can you change your dietary intake?

Do you have any medical issues already known? Any deeply suspected?

I can offer more info later, but I'm out of time at the moment...
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Lovely post, thank you.

I know there are certain times, always “monthly” two weeks before the dreaded day. It’s been worse since hitting 40 and having young children. This hasn’t helped with sleep. I can’t help but feel I’ll always be stressed about work but have a very stressful job and finish each day at 5:30 pick up kids by 6 then the bingeing starts again. I also overeat when I wake up, coffees and any carbs sweet stuff.

I brought some pinhead oat bread and avocados and binged in that last night- can’t to 1600 kcal in top of all my other foods. Certain foods are a no go like seeetened cereals and white bread and it seems recently any carb.

So triggers:
    Biscuits, cakes, bread (even healthier versions), any crackers (even whole grain), if I have any of these foods around I eat them and don’t just want one. Even the healthy stuff carbs. At the same time I think we need some carb so a tricky one.

When I finish work all I can think about is food. I work really hard (as do most people) and am tired I would go to the gym but have to pick up children and then feed them when we get back.

The odd thing is I had a day off during the week and binge ate that day (obviously had children around).

Tiredness less than 8 hours (I average 6 at the moment so no doubt not helping).

Also just feeling old, I have injuries and I think I’m turning to food to help lift my mood if that makes sense.

Why worries me is I met a relative who we didn’t know as children grew up in a completely different environment also are binge eaters- so I’m worried it’s a bit generic.

Thank you for your support!!!!

Options
    This is great I’m on a roll now. I think a problem is when I go to bed at night I look forward to breakfast before work, if I took that away I know it’s awful but I dread the day. It’s like my comfort zone.

I’m aware that not helpful thinking, that’s more to do with emptional eating than bingeing.

My diet withou. I diet without binge foods are milkshake (skimmed milk) and protein bar for breakfast and sometimes chocolate, I know bread /cereals trigger me to feel sleepy and want more hence my odd breakfast, lunch is at 12.00 and is a sandwich (usually my favourite type whereby i have bread as I love it with cream cheese or whatever I want) and an apple yoghurt some dark choc, and evening meal pizza with salad, curry woth veggies.... so it’s a balanced diet with some less healthy foods and some healthier I don’t see as good and bad.

I think that’s what’s been hard about treating binge eating previously , mine isn’t due to restricting, or viewing foods as good or bad. I love food - too much I rely on it.

I think not being happy at work has made me loose my motivation for life a bit. But everyone has to work hard, it’s they way I deal with it. I have a responsible job too and not sure it’s good for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    For me, de-stressing from work includes finding a friend to vent to, listening to some loud angry rock music, going for a swift walk (even if only to the bathroom/loo or car!), adult coloring books (swear words are fun!), meditation music (meditation is HARD if you can't calm), crafting, dancing around, etc...

Also, taking a deep breath and bringing to mind all the things to be thankful for about your young children BEFORE you pick them up...

Focusing more on reducing stress and anticipation of things BETWEEN places, between work and when you pick up the kids, between when you pick up the kids and home, between home and work, etc.

A friend shared these links with me a while back...

http://toomuchonherplate.com/time-to-do-something-else-transitions-and-emotional-eating/

http://toomuchonherplate.com/punctuation-overeating/

http://www.overeatingrecovery.com/embracing-emotions/do-you-turn-to-food-when-youre-in-a-transition-2/

That being said, the body does not REQUIRE carbs of any kind...but it can use them and they're often readily available. I find that there is no healthy bread unless you make it a home yourself from organic grains. Any bread that sits in a store or market has chemicals in it to prevent molding or it going stale, etc. It's those chemicals, plus the fact that most manufacturers add sugars to make their product preferred over others, that fry our systems. Salty, sweet, and fatty is the body's perfect attraction. These additions are made to products beyond reason.

For me, healthy carbs are vegetables, some lower sugar fruits (berries, stone fruits, etc.), etc.

The body has zero biological need or requirement for SUGAR in any form. Our body is incredible that it can convert and use anything we do give it...

Our ancestors did not have ready access to sugar, and it was an isolated special treat. Now in this day and age, we have access to it every day, all day, and it's added to foods that have no need of it to make us crave and buy it more, etc. Additionally, fruits have been manipulated over time to have less seeds and more sugar in them, so even so-called "healthy fruits" aren't as healthy as they used to be.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/heres-what-fruits-and-vegetables-looked-like-before-we-domesticated-them

I had to cut back on all grains, sugars, and starches for a time - and combine that with a therapy using amino acids to start breaking the chain on this cycle...for ME... I don't know if it has helped anyone else... I'm not claiming to be a doctor. I'm just sharing my own experiences.

I'm more of a compulsive eater first, and binge eater second. I will have foods just call to me, softly at first, then raging screams in my head until I consume that food - or every other food available to try to ignore that original food. And then if I get that food, it often isn't as satisfying as I expected to be, so I either eat MORE of it, or I switch to a different food compulsion.

Many times this is our dopamine reaction - a biological function - screaming at us what we need. Which is why we can't always escape the biological imperative. It's also why amino acid therapies can help...

This was the first article I read on the subject that helped me, though I took a different direction after this:

http://carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/

I still have binge cycles (tracking tightly, even like the check in thread here, is another large trigger of mine for more disordered thinking and eating cycles to increase), and food compulsions, but they're far less intense than they used to be. Sometimes I can even ignore them and move on...

Good luck!!!

P.S. Remember that some people do great with huge changes, whereas others get the best results from making small changes, but consistently... Remember, too, that absolutely NONE of this above may apply to you...or some of it, or all of it... There's nothing that works for everyone... Any number of changes might help you, but you'll have to find that for yourself...

P.P.S. Remember, too, that yes, everyone has to work hard to make a living - BUT no one has to stay miserable in a job. You can change jobs or your way of thinking about your job, etc. There are jobs that are less stressful and bad...and there are some jobs that are really hard work, but they're rewarding, and even loved...

Oh, and by the way, I'm a 41 year old female, with all kinds of health mess, and a job I dread going to many times, though the work itself isn't bad, it can be stressful. I don't have little ones at home with me anymore, but I'm perpetually exhausted by the adult child (boyfriend/fiance) in my home... Among other things... So please remember, in any dark and desperate moments, that you're not completely alone in the struggle.

(HUGS)
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing.

Loved your stress response tactics, especially the colouring in. For a split second I thought colouring, that’s so calm then you suggested swear words... now I’m with you!

Thank you for the links, I haven’t read them yet as would like devote time to reading. You’re so right about preparing for stress and working the mind down prior to kid’s pick up.

It’s odd as I’m ill and lost my appetite. It’s almost liberating.

I noticed years ago I was working away and would buy meals out and would generally eat less. I think some is habit too. I am nervous about eliminating foods however, when I have freely allowed access to all my favourites bread, cake etc I don’t really have a stop button and the only result for allowing free access was that I binged every day for weeks.

Do you find yourself still craving food and looking forward to each meal, or have you managed to control that compulsion?

It really is amazing you controlling the bingeing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing.

Loved your stress response tactics, especially the colouring in. For a split second I thought colouring, that’s so calm then you suggested swear words... now I’m with you!

Thank you for the links, I haven’t read them yet as would like devote time to reading. You’re so right about preparing for stress and working the mind down prior to kid’s pick up.

It’s odd as I’m ill and lost my appetite. It’s almost liberating.

I noticed years ago I was working away and would buy meals out and would generally eat less. I think some is habit too. I am nervous about eliminating foods however, when I have freely allowed access to all my favourites bread, cake etc I don’t really have a stop button and the only result for allowing free access was that I binged every day for weeks.

Do you find yourself still craving food and looking forward to each meal, or have you managed to control that compulsion?

It really is amazing you controlling the bingeing.

The restrictions are somewhat temporary. I never imagined I could do it, but once I did, something clicked in my brain and it was so freeing and amazing...

I developed some health issues, and I've been off that plan, eating whatever, for a while now... I miss a lot of the free feelings I had eating that way.

I know for me, a lot of my issues were in my gut. Once we eat a lot of sugar or chemicals, we damage the lining in our gut. Once we do that, the neurotransmitters that control mood can't convert and absorb properly, and we need more to do the same job.

I rarely, if ever, lose my appetite. I used to joke about temporarily wanting a disease that would stop my appetite, etc., and then I realized I already had a disease, and to minimize what others suffer, even in response to my own suffering, was wrong...and unfair. But if I had a way to figure out how to consistently eat less or eat all the right foods for me, etc., I'd probably give up a lot to do it...

I don't restrict the foods completely, even when I started. I tell myself I can have them if I desperately desire, but they're not on my current plan, so they are treat items, not every day items. I NEVER restrict anything completely. That mindset is destructive for me. But I wanted to see how far I could tie things back and still manage it... And I did for a time.

I still binge, to a point, periodically. I still find eating compulsions, again, to a point. Sometimes, I can figure out if it is a psychological trigger (like I'm dying for candy/soft drink (fizzy cola?), I know either I'm tired or hungry or stressed)...if I'm tired, a quick walk or something might help. Some sunshine. Vitamin D3/K2, caffeine - without sugar, or an l-glutamine capsule... If I'm hungry, I have some almonds or other reasonable snack EVEN IF I'M PREPARING DINNER, as it will set me up not to be SO overwhelmingly hungry by the time I eat that I can't control myself, etc. I might drink some water, etc. If I'm stressed, again - l-glutamine tablet, walk, etc.

If my brain is just flipping me off with the giant middle finger and saying F U body, then I have to decide if something else will realistically satisfy my PMSing tantrum throwing inner child... I try to buy things in smaller servings, or FORCE myself to buy only one, etc. That way I can say, Okay, you can have one, but only one, because that's all I have... I find that the majority of super specific cravings are due to one of 2 things for me...nutrient deficiency ... or my wacky messed-up addict brain. The neurotransmitters really help with the addict-brain part...and vitamins/supplements really help with the nutrient part... Addressing both gives me a reasonable chance of success...

I do still crave food, but I can generally tell why I'm craving something... Lately it's been hamburgers. I'm sure that means my iron is low AGAIN. I actually DROPPED my iron levels AFTER supplementing by Rx, so I've been switching things up again. Sometimes it will be what we call french fries...I think they're chips to you... Fried potatoes. Usually that tells me I'm craving salt, which for me generally means I'm super low on water was sodium, maybe magnesium, too...depending. Having thyroid issues among the rest, somethings just eating some salt does the trick (not too much, just a bit)...or drinking some broth, etc. So it really depends on what I'm craving, and whether I can determine why. Chocolate usually means I missed a dose of magnesium, or I'm super stressed (this again is a place for the l-glutamine, etc.)...

Here's a few more article links to add to your list. Any time it say something else (alcohol, *kitten*/cigs, etc.), use the word sugar or whatever bothers you most... Look at it as if they just used the wrong word and it is written just for you...

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-beat-sugar-cravings-glutamine/

https://www.afpafitness.com/research-articles/alcoholism-need-vitamins-become-well-2

http://flowingfree.org/diet-and-supplements-that-help-you-quit-smoking/

These go along with that first one about "is your brain two quarts low?"
    Options
    Interesting. I had a whole day in with child today and it was raining so we stayed in, in A good mood apart from a horrid cold but no real stress and bizarrely, it took me unawares, I binged, peanut butter bread, sweetened yoghurts and bean cereal of all things. Damn just when I thought I had my head round triggers and self reflection.

I’ve been really motivated by your posts. I like your approach and think should be similar to banning but leaving myself free access to foods I overeat on and spending time around those foods for a whole day is tricky.

We’re of a similar age. It was the most liberating feeling to think I may be free of my obsessive food thoughts.... then I binged. It will be a long journey. Sigh.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I will tell you, successes - or rather recognizing successes, is a HUGE trigger for me.

I can't say, Yay, I made it a week! Yay, there's hope. Yay, something is clicking. Yay, I didn't each chocolate today!
    Yay, I lost 5 pounds or 1 kg! Yay, I went down a pants size... Yay - ANYTHING...

Instant binge trigger.

I think it goes back to self esteem, not really daring to believe that success is possible, or that we truly deserve it, and something... So I don't. I don't set goals, I don't consciously celebrate ANYTHING. I step back as much as I can and try to logically view it as ONLY DATA.

I feel better, I've reduce inflammation as far as facial swelling and reduced joint pain... But I don't go, YAY, I DID THIS! because it undermines my successes.

I can't track days here, I do it loosely in my head, like, "it's been a while since I binged... Oh, really? That's nice, let's see if we can keep going..."

I don't have hard and fast goals... Sure, I want to get somewhere under 200 pounds again, but I haven't been there in nearly 20 years, really, so I don't know what that will like on me. I know I liked the way I looked at 19, 140 pounds, but that would be way too thin now, since I have had a child and all that... So I know that's unrealistic.... So somewhere in there, likely on the higher end, because I will never give up muscle for pounds lost, you know??

I have to keep it very fluid, and very ... unexciting. That's nice...keep going, you're not there yet, etc.

It can cause motivation to wear out, but we have to get determined, not motivated, because motivation will ALWAYS FAIL at some point, usually when it's least helpful. Determination with rise and fall, but it doesn't go away if you nourish it.

Even being off plan for MONTHS ON END, regaining 40 pounds, I'm still as determined as EVER to never let this beat me. My partner deserves better, my daughter deserves better, and most importantly, I DESERVE BETTER...

But this has taken me YEARS to get here, and it's still a daily struggle... So yeah...don't get discouraged. If you keep doing healthier things and making better choices any time you can, eventually good health MUST follow.

Dance with your kids during a commercial or while the water boils for dinner! While the stove is baking a weekend lunch! Find NEW ways to make life, exercise, relaxing, and such FUN or at least tolerable... We're FAR more likely to use techniques when we don't dread them.

P.S. I'm not on much on weekends, so feel free to shoot me a message if you have a question or anything. My notifications are better for those. (I hate checking groups from my App, it never works well!) Have a good one...
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am very much not an expert, and I totally don't have my own stuff together (so I am taking in the advice as well).

Here are the things that I have noticed:

-boredom; if I am busy I just go go go and food becomes fuel not a distraction

-fatigue; my brain seems to think that food is going to somehow get me through the evening. I have had some success with switching an evening binge with a cup of tea

-stress; binging lets me be completely involved with something outside of my normal routine/life. Unfortunately finding that numbness is still a big part of my struggles right now.

-small failures; I tend to be an all or nothing type of person, and that leads to small hiccups (like an unplanned afternoon treat at work) to balloon into full on binges. Still working on forgiving myself when these things happen.
    Options
    I could actually tick off each one of those too. Thank you for articulating.

I think my triggers are:

1. Stress, and depression. Food gives me a little lift sometimes a massive lift in mood instantly and like you guys have said, it provides a happy little different world. I don’t let anyone into that I. E it has to be done alone.

2. Waking up from sleep oddly. If I had a daytime nap or when I wake in the morning. I’m not sure if that’s due to my dazed state....

3. Tiredness
    4. Boredom
    5. Depression

I don’t always recognise the above and only after having eaten am able to identify the cause.

I do worry food has drug like properties, with out sounding like I’m not taking responsibility but I had been avoiding bingeing and had low mood but today raised the children’s stash of chocolate rolls and can honestly say I felt euphoric following - and covered in hives.
    Options
    Thank you for posting lama it helps me to self reflect too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I could actually tick off each one of those too. Thank you for articulating.

I think my triggers are:

1. Stress, and depression. Food gives me a little lift sometimes a massive lift in mood instantly and like you guys have said, it provides a happy little different world. I don’t let anyone into that I. E it has to be done alone.

2. Waking up from sleep oddly. If I had a daytime nap or when I wake in the morning. I’m not sure if that’s due to my dazed state....

3. Tiredness
    4. Boredom
    5. Depression

I don’t always recognise the above and only after having eaten am able to identify the cause.

I do worry food has drug like properties, with out sounding like I’m not taking responsibility but I had been avoiding bingeing and had low mood but today raised the children’s stash of chocolate rolls and can honestly say I felt euphoric following - and covered in hives.

It actually triggers a dopamine response, which is the same type of feeling that drug addicts get/feel when high. And it changes our brain chemistry, which is why we have to have more volume/quantity as time goes on ... and have it more often...

And when it is a brain chemical response, it is a biological imperative, even if it is WRONG, and becomes nigh on impossible to defeat...

It's why I like the articles I posted before... They repair or mitigate the damage we've done to ourselves....at least some of it...
    Options
    I agree except I think when I’ve read articles saying no one can be addicted to food I doubt my own observations. It’s weird though, particularly before tons of month or when really stressed or tired, for me any carb will do. Even a not very attractive one such as porridge (!) I will want volume. I was shocked at how great I felt after sugar when feeling really low. Imagine my surprise when I had the sugar come down.

I think some of us are just programmed a little different, as I have said before my husband will look at me slightly shocked that I can eat plain bread with feelings of euphoria!
    Options
    Thank you both for sharing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @wibblewobblejellyontheplate

I like this video to help explain the chemical brain responses to food, in a way that's easier to understand... I'm not saying everything applies, and no one wants a boatload of excuses, but this does factor in for many of us...
    Options
    Thank you knit or mis. I am full of pmt (I think) and this am thought I would have peanut butter on toast an hour later I was raiding the tins for biscuits - albeit low sugar ones and each time thought I just want the pack! Today I failed.....

Work in progress. How can I say the same thing to myself, just devour one and always I have more.

Plan next time/ get out of the house and don’t work from home at weekends when snacks are available!