Attention deficit disorder and keto

Options
fuelednfit
fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
Hello all,

This is such a big community, I hope someone can share their personal experience.
So the diagnosis fell today, my son is ADD but not ADHD. The neurologist obviously was strongly pushing for drug treatment but I refuse to do so. I have read a bit and saw that sometimes Paleo and keto diet could help with adhd, ADD...does anybody have personal experience they could share with me?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a lot of time to respond but I think there is a post in the open threads in the launch pad where I talked about using MCT oil for ADHD. It sort of helped but nothing makes me feel more ‘normal’ than adderall does. I’ve cut my dose in half on keto but when I go without any, I just don’t feel normal.
    Please don’t be too firm in your commitment against meds. The daydreamy, can’t hold a thought or keep up with others conversations really sucks and makes you feel like a stupid freak. I intended to drop the meds since I was having so much improvement but I get too lost in my head without them.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know it's difficult....it's just at six I feel he is so young to be on meds if I can fix anything with diet and behavioral therapy, I want to try...
    I'll look up the post on mct oil
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @MariahMichaels

Congrats on taking charge of your daughter's struggles, and for engaging professionals on all sides of the equation.

Sometimes the hardest decisions can bear the best results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409869/coconut-oil-mcts-ketones-alzheimers/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37343584#Comment_37343584

@fuelednfit

in case you were still looking for the links, I found at least these two...

And the fact that you're digging in to find the absolutely BEST combination of treatment for your son speaks to your incredible parenting! One day, he'll thank you for that. Kudos. I swear, sometimes doing what's best for our kids is a full time job, on top of the 24/7 one of just raising them!
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @MariahMichaels I just wanted to echo the congrats on how you've worked to do what's best for your daughter. How I've gone about my daughter's treatment is very similar, and I know how difficult it can be. It's definitely gratifying though when we see the results of the hard work. My daughter is also 7, and I feel we've gotten her treatment plan just right. She is on a low dose extended release stimulant with a short acting dose in the afternoon.

@fuelednfit There are things I avoid if possible with all of my kids, and things I limit. Sugar, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are the 1st for me. I'm lucky that all of my kids love fruits & veggies as it makes my life easier. Artificial fragrances! They used to make my son crazy, especially the ones in Windex, detergent and fabric softener. I realized it only by accident one day. Now I steer clear of fabric softener altogether and use essential oils in my house. I'm not one of those people that will tell you to bathe your family in essential oils, but I find there are benefits, including promoting focus & relaxation. I try to feed my daughter a high protein breakfast with little to no carbs, in part because I want her to feel full longer when she takes her medication. It seems she has better days as far as being able to focus and just sit still when she has a high protein breakfast vs carb loaded breakfast. Another important part of her treatment is regular exercise. We start every morning with a walk, and we try to get in physical activity every day. Any activity where you can set small goals and your son can feel a sense of accomplishment can go a long way in getting him excited about participating.

Feel free to request me.
    I'm happy to share more of my experience if you like.