Day 6 of keto

Hi everyone! I'm new to this but trying hard to get it right. So far so good until this morning. I was in the shower washing my hair and my shoulders and back ached so bad I had to keep stopping. Then I actually had to sit down in the shower to rest because I was so tired. Same while getting dressed. I was just so tired. I've already had 5 glasses of water today plus magnesium. Does this sound like part of the keto flu?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Up your sodium (salt) intake if you have no medical reason not to. Drinking X amount of water is is OK so long as you increase sodium along with it. Drinking lots of water just flushes through the body and takes whatever sodium available, with it.

"Tired" is typical of "keto flu" but upping sodium should resolve that. The generally suggested amount of sodium is 3000-5000 mg per day. I drink salty broth with another 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt added or simply pour salt into my hand, lick it off and wash it down with some water.

Some people like to heavily salt all food, chew/suck on salt crystals throughout the day, make and drink their version of " keto-aide", etc.
  • SweetTallulah
    SweetTallulah Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you. I'll try some salty broth. :)
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Yup, getting over running on sugar... I feel MUCH better without sugar and gluten, yet I also feel slightly more lazy overall. It's steady tho, not like sugar which makes me switch back and forth from energized to sleepy all day. So... in ketosis, I can sit on my butt all day and lose weight, vs. not, and gain weight lol! The overall steady, yet decreased energy isn't something that improved over time for me, but being really tired as you adjust to no-sugar is normal and will go away soon
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member

was reading an article that suggested a sports drink heavy on electrolytes. look at this
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/10/19/beat-keto-flu-with-homemade-electrolyte-drink
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    lenkearney wrote: »

was reading an article that suggested a sports drink heavy on electrolytes. look at this
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/10/19/beat-keto-flu-with-homemade-electrolyte-drink

Watch for carbs or artificial sweeteners with sports drinks. Carefully planned supplements may be better for your diet and keto flu.