T2D - Glucophage (name brand) > Metformin (generic) ?

Options
123457»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Bonny132

There is another thread on here about that @2t9nty @RalfLott @cstehansen @GaleHawkins - Anyone have the link handy?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Bonny132

There is another thread on here about that @2t9nty @RalfLott @cstehansen @GaleHawkins - Anyone have the link handy?

Thank you @KnitOrMiss I have read up some myself, but I do appreciate any extra information I can get my hands on.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    A related question for you guys. A friend has been prescribed Metformin for insulin resistance and her sister being a pharmacist advices her not to take it, but to try another remedy instead: Berberine, anyone tried this product in place of Metformin?

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_premium_berberine_complex?af=gaw&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5Xqrj8aqfc-yWgktouL9TTNY-1uTwVKIhXpXsfQAYKk22EMWoHTM_BoCPIgQAvD_BwE

I have tried berberine in combination with metformin, and I have not been able to tell any difference in glucose readings.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just my experience. I had ZERO difference when I tried this a few months ago. Sugars the same and tummy upset (sadly) the same. I could not tolerate metfirmin or glucophage. However one cost me $6. a month out of pocket and the other $130. a month out of pocket. Both were extended slow release formulas.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Plop!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @JessicaLCHF - I could not initially tolerate the Metformin, and did slightly better with Glucophage...

However, a friend sent me this link: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

About titrating up. My Endo wanted me to try again. The first little bit (I think week 2-3, maybe?) was rough, as I had to break the pills to start at 250, but I adapted pretty quickly. I'm currently at 1000 mg a day, 500 mg each morning and night. I'm gearing up towards 2000 mg a day, per optimal dosing recommendations, but I'm having problems increasing further.

I survived a week with 1250 mg, then bumped up to 1500 with there being a half dosage each at morning and night, and that was a miserable 3 days (despite generic immodium). I got tired of it, and jumped the dosage up to full pills each time, for 2 days, (2000 mg total), and that was even worse. So I'm back down to 1000 mg.

I think my next go will be attempting to start the half pill again, then bump that to a full pill at that dosage (evening for me is better tolerated)...rather than adding the second half dose to my AM schedule... making the 1500 still 1500, but different configuration. If that works, then I'll decide whether to do a half pill or whole pill to reach the 2000 mg apex.

I personally don't feel massively different, but I did lose about 10 pounds in the first 3-4 weeks WITHOUT ANY DIETARY CHANGES, so I feel somewhat confident that once I survive the massive loose stool and dehydration that being at 2000 mg a day might bring about some good changes.

I'll have new fasting insulin, fasting glucose, and A1c tests done in April.
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have found that I don't have problems with the generic metformin if I take it with milk. If I take it with anything else I get the stomach upset. I take 2000mg extended release in the evening.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @PQ4321 - if I take mine with dairy, I have a reaction similar to food poisoning, so I don't think that one will help me any. Thanks.