Blood Work

Options
ClayBengal
ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
Well been on keto for almost a month and a half and have a dr’s checkup on Monday. Super interested/nervous to see what my bloodwork numbers come out to be. Was high in Tri’s before I started the diet. Hopefully a lot of success stories with bloodwork and keto!

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    Don't get freaked out if everything seems higher. I've read about how blood work can go up before it comes down/levels out. Some people dont see the drop/level out for 3-6 months or more. I hope it all looks fantastic but do stick with it even if the results aren't showing yet!!

Keep us posted on what it says :)
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had mine done after 3 months on keto. Fasting blood sugar down from 6.7 to 4.3, triglycerides down from 2.0 to 1.1 and cholesterol down from 7.0 to 6.5 with no significant increase in LDL. So fingers crossed for you.
  • ClayBengal
    Options
    Thanks! I am afraid my dr will be lecturing me on my diet but I am determined to give it a fair shake.
  • Jacqgh777
    Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Keep us posted
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ClayBengal - Looking forward to the updates! How did it go?
  • ClayBengal
    Options
    My dr called in sick yesterday!!! I’m kind of relieved to buy some time.
  • Jacqgh777
    Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I bet you’re gonna have great results!
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Check out Dave Feldman's website if you want to learn a lot more about keto and how and why it affects blood lipids. http://cholesterolcode.com/
  • ClayBengal
    Options
    All1971 wrote: »
    Check out Dave Feldman's website if you want to learn a lot more about keto and how and why it affects blood lipids. http://cholesterolcode.com/

Thanks All1971!
  • dgreene37
    dgreene37 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Took me ... another 1-1.5 years for my body to finish getting rid of all the extra cholesterol that losing weight releases into the blood stream. ...

I've never heard that before. Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next labs.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    dgreene37 wrote: »
    Took me ... another 1-1.5 years for my body to finish getting rid of all the extra cholesterol that losing weight releases into the blood stream. ...

I've never heard that before. Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next labs.

Yes, the more weight you lose, the more stores cholesterol is released back into the bloodstream and I lost a total of 167 pounds! Here's a little 4 minute video for you by Dr. Stephen Phinney which explains why this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Also not trying to jinx you here but often times if you end up losing a significant amount of weight it can take the body what to us seems like an inordinately loooooooooooooong *kitten* time to normalize. I speak from experience. Took me 22.5 months to lose the weight and another 1-1.5 years for my body to finish getting rid of all the extra cholesterol that losing weight releases into the blood stream. Silver lining: have perfect cholesterol numbers/ratios for the first time ever in my life so even if you don't get the news you want to hear, that doesn't mean it will always be that way!

I went off my statin and just told my doctor's office. I had 156 combined and ratios were OK on the med as I recall. At my next appointment, I had a 203 combined and ratios were a little wonky. He wanted me to go back on, but I told him I wanted to wait until I had reached goal weight and been stable for a year. I am pretty comfortable with this decision.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I went off my statin and just told my doctor's office. I had 156 combined and ratios were OK on the med as I recall. At my next appointment, I had a 203 combined and ratios were a little wonky. He wanted me to go back on, but I told him I wanted to wait until I had reached goal weight and been stable for a year. I am pretty comfortable with this decision.

@2t9nty...I understand where you are coming from. I gave my body much longer than I really wanted to but in hindsight I'm really glad I did. By about the 3rd year I was starting to get a little nervous myself, but I pressed on and decided to give it one more year before throwing in the towel with respect to cholesterol numbers / ratios, etc. I hope good things happen for your re your cholesterol down the road too! :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

@2t9nty...I understand where you are coming from. I gave my body much longer than I really wanted to but in hindsight I'm really glad I did. By about the 3rd year I was starting to get a little nervous myself, but I pressed on and decided to give it one more year before throwing in the towel with respect to cholesterol numbers / ratios, etc. I hope good things happen for your re your cholesterol down the road too! :)

I am a patient man. My doctor is always quick with the prescription and not so quick to take me off. I have a certain "take charge" attitude when t comes to my health. I will be interested to see what the panel says next time.
  • ClayBengal
    Options
    Well the weight continues to come off and old clothes fit again so I would have to think something good is going on with my bloodwood. Have had high tri’s a lot in life but I also was a carb binge eater. My Dr gave me lipitor and my side hurt while doing keto so I stopped with the lipitor so I’m hoping that decision doesn’t come back to haunt me.
  • dgreene37
    Options
    Thanks ladipoet!
  • dgreene37
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    Well the weight continues to come off and old clothes fit again so I would have to think something good is going on with my bloodwood. Have had high tri’s a lot in life but I also was a carb binge eater. My Dr gave me lipitor and my side hurt while doing keto so I stopped with the lipitor so I’m hoping that decision doesn’t come back to haunt me.

The statin worked really well for me but with changes to my WOE my numbers came down so far that, with my doctor's approval, I stopped taking it also. My tri's are still a little high and my cholesterol went back up but not as high as before. Doc is still comfortable with me not taking the statins but doesn't really like keto. Since it's working for the weight loss he's not pushing too hard for me to revert back to a more 'normal' diet.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    dgreene37 wrote: »
    Thanks ladipoet!

You're welcome @dgreene37!
  • ClayBengal
    Options
    The statin worked really well for me but with changes to my WOE my numbers came down so far that, with my doctor's approval, I stopped taking it also. My tri's are still a little high and my cholesterol went back up but not as high as before. Doc is still comfortable with me not taking the statins but doesn't really like keto. Since it's working for the weight loss he's not pushing too hard for me to revert back to a more 'normal' diet.[/quote]

Oh I feel I’ll be lectured by my dr on this diet.