New to Keto...Any assistance is appreciated.

Options
Hi, Guys....I'm new to Keto, but am a long time Low Carb Lifestyler. Post pancreatic surgery, I was suddenly diabetic. A couple years ago, my doc told me my A1C was close to 13 (yikes!) and it was time to go on injected insulin. I asked for three months. Went home and threw away every carb in the house and got serious. I lost 30 pounds and lowered my A1C from 12.8 to 6.6 in three months.
But now I've reached a point where low carbing alone doesn't solve my problem. I live in a low level of ketosis, but I still have seen my weight creeping back up (about 8 pounds in the past few months) and I'm scared. I need a solution. Having read about the Keto lifestyle, I thought I'd give it a try.
I've lost four pounds so far (in about a week) and I'm sure most of it is water, but I'll take it. I need the confidence boost.
Any and all tips and potential pitfalls are sincerely appreciated!
In appreciation, I am posting my own recipe for Shirataki Ramen Soup. There are no specific directions, but all the ingredients are there. I really missed Ramen after starting low-carb...this recipe has really helped.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/138435296718189

Replies

• craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good post. I just started a few days ago. I am ill for sure. Walking around like a zombie. Hope this passes soon. Thanks for the ramen recipe.

The cauliflower fried "rice" sounds really good too.
  • justdeemarie
    justdeemarie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started ketoing on Jan 8.
    Loss 15 so far and 25 to go.
    Not hungry and no need to workout ( unless I want to tone).
    It’s not for everyone but it is for me!!!
  • ramie2018
    ramie2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends, I am just starting out on this journey. I am totally blown away with how many carbs I'm use to eating! I have no idea but now that I am tracking everything I am eating I can see where I can make changes! Thanks for creating this group, I'm looking forward to learning more about this lifestyle.
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on Jan 8th and lost 8 lb. I am looking for a good resource for the keto recipes. So far a have one favorite blogger but wouldn't hurt to know more. If you can share -please do! I need help to stay cooking inspired.
  • mady579
    mady579 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a book online and started Monday following the recipes. I had already slowed my eating down. Cut out fast food, etc.. I've been walking on a treadmill and lost 6 pounds before starting Keto. I stopped the exercise and lost 2 lbs. in 2 days on keto. What's the rule of thumb for nutrition and exercise. I thought it was to stay under 20g carbs and haven't paid attention to anything. I just plugged my numbers in and have gone way over. And I thought you shouldn't work out until after the Keto flu passes.
  • RoxyWhoShrinkyDink
    Options
    I've done keto before and I know it works for me. I let stress get me off track. I'm back to it starting today.
  • anelyaG
    Options
    I've done keto before and I know it works for me. I let stress get me off track. I'm back to it starting today.

Good for you! I find it hard to stick to Keto right around my period (sorry for TMI!!) I just feel how my body is craving all the carbs!
  • anelyaG
    Options
    mady579 wrote: »
    I bought a book online and started Monday following the recipes. I had already slowed my eating down. Cut out fast food, etc.. I've been walking on a treadmill and lost 6 pounds before starting Keto. I stopped the exercise and lost 2 lbs. in 2 days on keto. What's the rule of thumb for nutrition and exercise. I thought it was to stay under 20g carbs and haven't paid attention to anything. I just plugged my numbers in and have gone way over. And I thought you shouldn't work out until after the Keto flu passes.

I am not sure about avoiding any exercise until after keto flu, what I have been doing is as I start Keto switch (fasting with taking additional minerals and vitamins) I also do 20-25 min 120-139BPM cardio workout (cycling, running, elliptical) It helped me to kick my body into the fat burning mode.
  • amazingmomager
    amazingmomager Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started in August but then we flooded in Harvey, so took a break for a few months. Restarted in January and down 14 lbs from August. I like dietdoctor.com for recipes and meal planning and info, but recently found Simply Keto book and love her recipes and advice. Recipes are more how I used to eat but keto-ized. I find it takes a while to get used to consuming high fat. Tracking calories and macros is something I’m just starting
  • amazingmomager
    amazingmomager Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also diet doctor has a really good gumbalaya recipe!
  • starr68
    starr68 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am VERY new to the whole Keto experience. My husband is diabetic and was recently told to cut carbs as a last-ditch effort to avoid insulin. As a support to him I am also planning the same. Who knew there were so many foods "good for you" that were so high in carbs... bananas and berries for instance.
    DH is NOT a fruit and veggie person and loves to snack on puddings and easy things .. oranges are too much like work according to him lol.
    What I am looking for is ideas on snacks.. and how to get the proper balance of carbs fat and protein. I have downloaded the total Keto app and have visited a few sites but man is it confusing.
    I am hoping we can DO this. We are so set in our eating habits AND he is very picky eater!
  • spharlershelly
    spharlershelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started KETO Jan. 7th,2018. I have lost 15 LBS. I feel like the weight loss is slowing down, ready to see the scale move again. I am almost out of the 180's and I can't wait to see 179!
  • mystery95
    mystery95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to Keto, I have purchased the year plan on my fitness pal, can someone tell me how to setup to use the keto diet?
  • WenCruz415
    WenCruz415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Started on 12/28 -12 lbs down/ feel incredible and my anxiety has really REALLY improved. So have any scatterbrain issues lol. On a hero podcast one of the people described it as the clouds permanently breaking and the sun just always shining through my mood is improved and I’ve got laser focus at work. I did hit a weird lethargy slump this week but even if I wasn’t losing weight I’d be keto because of all the other benefits.. oh my skin is also like a baby’s butt lol no more breakouts and my hair and nails strong and shiny
  • NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    mystery95 wrote: »
    New to Keto, I have purchased the year plan on my fitness pal, can someone tell me how to setup to use the keto diet?

I'm not sure if you've gotten a reply yet, but I was trying to figure that out too and I just switched my nutrient goals to 20g Carbs, around 170g Fat, and 70-ish grams of protein. I forgot the exact values, but it fits in quite well with keto.
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto years ago and the weight fell off me. Right now after 2 days of serious keto I’m feeling lethargic and have the blahs.
    I have subscribed to the 2 keto dudes podcast. I find them very entertaining. I thought that I really should bite the bullet after my weight loss stalled on the old CICO method. Can’t wait to be over the flu ! :#
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started this week and am waiting to weigh in on Sunday - wish me luck!
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mystery95 wrote: »

I'm not sure if you've gotten a reply yet, but I was trying to figure that out too and I just switched my nutrient goals to 20g Carbs, around 170g Fat, and 70-ish grams of protein. I forgot the exact values, but it fits in quite well with keto.

Ruled.me has a calculator that I found helpful to figure out what your macros should be.