Runnung and low carb

Options
I am a runner. Not a fast runner and I definitely have problems with motivation when It's wet or cold. But I run.

3 weeks ago I started a low carb diet and have so far lost 3.5 kg (around about 8lb). I am very pleased by this and will definitely continue as I still have more weight to lose and this is the only diet I've tried when I'm not continually hungey.

But running is a struggle - I suppose I must be hitting a bit of a mini wall each time I run because my body wants to burn carbs and there aren't any. I feel like I am running through treacle, and I am even slower than I was before.

Is this something which is likely to improve as my body gets used to this new woe? Or will I always feel like I'm running through treacle?

I have a 10k coming up at the end of March. Should I just go back to eating carbs for a few days before it, or should my body get used to this - many thanks for any advice

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Try upping your sodium if you have no medical reason not to. I'm not a runner but I walk a few miles at a time at a brisk pace. If I'm feeling lethargic or have legs of lead, I immediately reach for a boullion cube from my pocket or backpack and it fixes me right up. 10 minutes.

I'm about to head out now so dumped about a half o' teaspoon of salt in my palm and washed it down with some water.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate,

Others in this group can speak to this more precisely than I can, and I’m not currently a runner, but from what I have read, it can take your body up to 4-6 weeks to fully adapt to burning fat instead of glucose. If I’m not mistaken, this is the time it takes for your mitochondria to adjust.

Stephen Phinney has done research on low carb athletes and their performance—you can like find some threads about that in the “low carb topics” sticky post (or just start with the launch pad). Don’t forget, electrolytes, particularly magnesium and sodium, need daily replenishment on LC.

Sounds like the 10k is far enough away that you might well be fully adapted by then. Consider toting along either some coconut water or a keto electrolyte replacement cocktail, to prevent “bonking”.

Congrats on your success thus far, and best wishes for getting back to your stride with running soon!

Mary
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for more science on top athletic performance while Keto/low carb I can recommend a great podcast and website nourishbalancethrive.com/
    You don't have to buy supplements or get private personalized coaching from them to get their free webmail with reference links, and listen to the podcasts. I don't pay for any stuff but I find the free information is often interesting and helpful.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I agree that sodium is probably your main problem. You may feel a slight dip in energy while getting fat adapted but it is usually quite slight. If you feel noticeably slower, fatigued, brain fogged, headachy or have muscle aches, that is most likely caused by not replacing lost sodium that went away with your lost water weight.

Most low careers need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. For reference, there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt.
  • velocitykate
    velocitykate Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies. I've stocked up with electrolyte tablets today. (I think swallowing half a teaspoon of neat tablesalt would make me vomit!)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If I start having problems during a workout, I put the salt under my tongue...it should absorb pretty instantly that way, and it doesn't taste quite as strong.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies. I've stocked up with electrolyte tablets today. (I think swallowing half a teaspoon of neat tablesalt would make me vomit!)

LOL. The "technique" is definitely not for everyone. :)
  • etruscansunited
    etruscansunited Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. Not a fast runner and I definitely have problems with motivation when It's wet or cold. But I run.

3 weeks ago I started a low carb diet and have so far lost 3.5 kg (around about 8lb). I am very pleased by this and will definitely continue as I still have more weight to lose and this is the only diet I've tried when I'm not continually hungey.

But running is a struggle - I suppose I must be hitting a bit of a mini wall each time I run because my body wants to burn carbs and there aren't any. I feel like I am running through treacle, and I am even slower than I was before.

Is this something which is likely to improve as my body gets used to this new woe? Or will I always feel like I'm running through treacle?

I have a 10k coming up at the end of March. Should I just go back to eating carbs for a few days before it, or should my body get used to this - many thanks for any advice

It will improve and evwntually one day it will nir be there but it could take a lot longer than you might have expected.

Been there. Done that. Still learning. I base my experience on running, published research not gurus web celebrities fads or eminent experts plus extensive experience with science based sports coaching pedagogy.

Allowing for huge individual variability and without knowing your personal variables, my perception from actual experience and from observations is that training adaptation to endurance based running while keto adapted takes a lot longer than it takes simply to adapt to keto nutrition for daily living.
    Having considered hundreds if not thousands of published papers relevant to this, this topic is very sparsely dealt with. Yes a few can be named but there's actually a huge gap overall. This is promising since thus means there is a lot more to be explored in a scientific manner.

I disgress above to highlight the point that there is little reliable and established published science to guide you. So most of what you see on blogs and in posts (including this post) and hear is hypothesis. If someone is also selling you a product or a service, caveat emptor.

Briefly, for you to consider from my n=1:
    Pre keto+ insulin dependency -> could hardly walk up a steep hill.

Keto + insulin dependency -> could potter up and down hills for 2 or more hours, without any running training. Difference could only be attributable to keto adaptation. Learnt to experiment with exogenous salt prior to starting.

Keto + insulin dependency + training from the beginning -> now actually running non stop at pace up and down hills. Essential point is that I restarted training as though i had never before. Or, put another way, I hypothesised that the entire physiological system for running at pace needed to be re-engineered from "ground up".
    It is working for me.

You might not have my insulin dependency challenge, but perhaps it only shows more acutely (a) keto works for endurance based running and (b) it requires comprehensive retraining of the entire system needed for running.

That is, just keto adaptation alone is insufficient and also don't assume you can just continue running as for pre-keto without training on keto adaptation.

How long will that take? That's a huge question.

No published papers address that. Looking to raw science in cell metabolism and lots of other physiological systems, I guestimate it will take at least 6 months for substantial and sustained adaptation to keto adapted high paced running and up to 18 months to be optimally adapted.

6 weeks is too soon to expect not to have the heavy treacle experience while running at higher pace.

A silver lining is that tou can use this time to build up functional strength for your running.
    This will improve your performance, reduce injuries and improve your lifetime health.

Since you indicate you are more of a light recreational runner (and that's great), consider adding a short session somewher sometine doing something strenthy that you like.
    Even walking up a steep hill would be OK.
  • velocitykate
    Options

It will improve and evwntually one day it will nir be there but it could take a lot longer than you might have expected.

Been there. Done that. Still learning. I base my experience on running, published research not gurus web celebrities fads or eminent experts plus extensive experience with science based sports coaching pedagogy.

Allowing for huge individual variability and without knowing your personal variables, my perception from actual experience and from observations is that training adaptation to endurance based running while keto adapted takes a lot longer than it takes simply to adapt to keto nutrition for daily living.
    Having considered hundreds if not thousands of published papers relevant to this, this topic is very sparsely dealt with. Yes a few can be named but there's actually a huge gap overall. This is promising since thus means there is a lot more to be explored in a scientific manner.

I disgress above to highlight the point that there is little reliable and established published science to guide you. So most of what you see on blogs and in posts (including this post) and hear is hypothesis. If someone is also selling you a product or a service, caveat emptor.

Briefly, for you to consider from my n=1:
    Pre keto+ insulin dependency -> could hardly walk up a steep hill.

Keto + insulin dependency -> could potter up and down hills for 2 or more hours, without any running training. Difference could only be attributable to keto adaptation. Learnt to experiment with exogenous salt prior to starting.

Keto + insulin dependency + training from the beginning -> now actually running non stop at pace up and down hills. Essential point is that I restarted training as though i had never before. Or, put another way, I hypothesised that the entire physiological system for running at pace needed to be re-engineered from "ground up".
    It is working for me.

You might not have my insulin dependency challenge, but perhaps it only shows more acutely (a) keto works for endurance based running and (b) it requires comprehensive retraining of the entire system needed for running.

That is, just keto adaptation alone is insufficient and also don't assume you can just continue running as for pre-keto without training on keto adaptation.

How long will that take? That's a huge question.

No published papers address that. Looking to raw science in cell metabolism and lots of other physiological systems, I guestimate it will take at least 6 months for substantial and sustained adaptation to keto adapted high paced running and up to 18 months to be optimally adapted.

6 weeks is too soon to expect not to have the heavy treacle experience while running at higher pace.

A silver lining is that tou can use this time to build up functional strength for your running.
    This will improve your performance, reduce injuries and improve your lifetime health.

Since you indicate you are more of a light recreational runner (and that's great), consider adding a short session somewher sometine doing something strenthy that you like.
    Even walking up a steep hill would be OK.

Thank you so much for this - it helps me feel reassured. Nearly six weeks in, I still feel like I'm running through treacle and am nearly 1 minute/km slower then I was before (although still 15-30 seconds/km faster than when I started the ketogenic diet - and I wasn't fast to start with!). I'm doing a 10k next weekend - The way I'm going, I won't get anywhere close to my pb, and in actual fact, my friend, who's 10k pb is about 3 minutes slower than mine, will probably run it faster.

I don't really mind this, as long as I am reassured that I will eventually get there, which your post has helped with.

Thank you
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started 5 weeks ago and just started feeling normal this week during runs. Before that, I hit a wall at mile 2 and was running at least a minute slower per mile than usual. I agree with adding salt but mainly it’s a waiting game. As soon as the other Keto flu type symptoms were completely gone, my regular running endurance returned.
  • velocitykate
    Options
    I think that because I'm obviously not properly keto adapted yet, that I'll risk a couple of bananas - one before I leave the house in the morning (7.30 or 8am) and the second, half an hour before - it starts at 11am, so at about 10.30. I'm not bothered about the effect on my diet - if it makes me put on weight, I'll just fast for 24 hours, but I don't think it will. It may help me run though.....
  • velocitykate
    Options
    I should add that I'm not worried about finishing it - I will finish it, but maybe very slowly (like 10 minutes slower than my pb!). I just though the banans might help me go a bit faster. As a one off because I hope to be properly fat adapted before I do a half marathin in June
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    I should add that I'm not worried about finishing it - I will finish it, but maybe very slowly (like 10 minutes slower than my pb!). I just though the banans might help me go a bit faster. As a one off because I hope to be properly fat adapted before I do a half marathin in June

I would not do the 10k for time. You'll be able to finish it. It just will feel more like a half marathon! I have been looking at the times on my recent runs and they are actually still about 10-15 seconds per mile slower than my usual morning runs, but the big improvement for me this week is my heart rate is at its usual rate--pre-adaption, it was MUCH higher. My friend who runs about 2 minutes per mile slower than me is asking me to run a half with her next weekend and I actually might consider it--I think at this point in my adaption, my endurance is now fine, I'm just not as fast as when I was fueled by carbs.

I have heard of fueling with packets of almond butter instead of GUs and might give that a try! Going to do 8 miles this weekend and see how I feel.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Tagging @blambo61 as this recent discussion may be of interest to him as a runner.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Tagging @blambo61 as this recent discussion may be of interest to him as a runner.

I'm not much of a runner but I do run 3xweek and bike 1xweek. I do these fasted usually after a 19-hr fast. I usually eat a little bit of coconut oil before I do the workout. It gets me through. I don't eat LC though so I think what happens with me is the brain is fed with the coconut oil (my liver is low on glycogen by then and the muscles can't share glycogen with the brain) and then it allows me to go faster and the stored glycogen in the muscles fuels the workout. I've also used cornstarch right before running since it is slow release carb and doesn't spike the blood sugar a lot and also doesn't upset my stomach. I think it works the same (feeds the brain). The brain can run off of glycogen and keytones (from fat) eating those two things provides one or the other. Without eating them, I used to bonk after about 35-min and I would slow down a couple of min/mile when that happened. By taking 100kcals of either of the things mentioned, I can go a full hour at a hard pace no problem. If your trying to stay LC, I would try the coconut oil and see how that works for you. Some great reading on this subject can be found at "eatingacadamy.com". Read the parts where he discusses how keto effected his workouts. You may have to wait like others said tell you get more fat adapted and can produce keytones at a rate to support the higher energy output. Glucose can be metabolized in aerobic and anaerobic conditions whereas fat can only be metabolized in aerobic conditions so if your going at a real high pace where you go anaerobic, you may take a hit if your depending on fat metabolism to provide energy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    2 things I've learned running on low carb:

1. During the adaptation period (first 8 weeks of low carb), it is important to stay at lower exertion in order to improve adaptation and to prevent bonking.
    2. Make sure to get electrolytes.

*A 3rd thing is that a lot of fat adapted runners do supplement carbs during high exertion events (such as races).

The standard dieter (high carbs) can't oxidize fat in skeletal muscles beyond about 55% of VO2 Max, and 65% for elite athletes. The whole point of fat adaptation is to improve this level, and exercising at too high of an intensity during the adaptation period harms this effort.

As to the 10K at the end of this race, you need to choose between these 2 things:
    1. Go slow, as though it is a training run, and accept that you are not going to have a PR. I.e. Run it and don't race it.
    2. Take some carbs that you can tolerate 30 min. before the race. This is only if you can stand it without GI issues. It's only a 10K, so I would not exceed 50g (probably better at 30g). An idea to avoid much GI distress is hard candy, as that will go into your blood through the surface of your gums and inside of cheeks rather than through your stomach.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options

1. During the adaptation period (first 8 weeks of low carb), it is important to stay at lower exertion in order to improve adaptation and to prevent bonking.

*A 3rd thing is that a lot of fat adapted runners do supplement carbs during high exertion events (such as races).

The standard dieter (high carbs) can't oxidize fat in skeletal muscles beyond about 55% of VO2 Max, and 65% for elite athletes. The whole point of fat adaptation is to improve this level, and exercising at too high of an intensity during the adaptation period harms this effort.

As to the 10K at the end of this race, you need to choose between these 2 things:
    1. Go slow, as though it is a training run, and accept that you are not going to have a PR. I.e. Run it and don't race it.
    2. Take some carbs that you can tolerate 30 min. before the race. This is only if you can stand it without GI issues. It's only a 10K, so I would not exceed 50g (probably better at 30g). An idea to avoid much GI distress is hard candy, as that will go into your blood through the surface of your gums and inside of cheeks rather than through your stomach.

This seems like great advice. With that in mind, would you advise against running a half marathon at week 7 of fat adaption, even at a really slow pace? (Frequently ran them before doing Keto, and am "trained up" in terms of mileage.)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

This seems like great advice. With that in mind, would you advise against running a half marathon at week 7 of fat adaption, even at a really slow pace? (Frequently ran them before doing Keto, and am "trained up" in terms of mileage.)

I think that would be fine.
  • velocitykate
    Options
    Thank you all, this has been really interesting and helpful. I'll let you know what I decide about the 10k and how I get on.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I've found the UCAN superstarch is great for right before a run but is very expensive. For me, I would use before a race but not for regular runs. Regular corn starch seems to work just as well for me and it is much cheaper and those things do not upset my stomach even during a race.

I've got a friend that has eaten keto-style for a couple of years and does bicycle racing. I talked him into trying the UCAN starch and sold him on it not spiking insulin much and he tried it and reported back that he had an exceptional race with it and was very impressed with it.