What Exercise Supports your Keto Goals?

Options
MissMorts
MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
Hi Team!
I had a thought that I was hoping to run by you all...
We sort of push some of the mainstream boundaries when it comes to ways of eating...
When it comes to exercise to support your Keto goals, what are you doing?
I’m interested what people are doing and seeing if it’s “mainstream” or if we’re pushing mainstream boundaries on the exercise front too?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Pretty standard for me -- barbell lifting with some kettlebell stuff thrown in for variety, and various forms of cardio.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I am not doing very well with my keto/ low carb recently. But for exercise I do running - when my shoes weren't finished. Until I get new ones I have to walk. I also do karate - Okinawan Goju ryu.

Both I do in the morning, after black coffee but before eating. I am trying to do intermittent fasting with it and it seems to work most if the time. Once a month I fall off every wagon I am on!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I was doing Beast the last 2 months, but now I'm bored so switching to fully body strength training 3x/week...plus I always do lots of walking, stretching, core, cardio, and such...trying to keep it balanced...I love pilates and yoga and combat...walking is awesome if the weather lets me get outside...the stretching feels nice but is boring, kind of like the strength training, those are more because I need them than because I like them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly low carb, but will chime in. Like Kpk54, I walk everywhere. I walk (or cycle) to work and back daily, and walk before or after work as well. Sometimes I jog instead. I do power flow yoga in a studio three times a week, and Pilates in a class at work twice a week. I used to lift, but after 20 years or so, switched to power yoga and Pilates.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Monday - horseback riding - dressage lesson
    Tuesday - 75 min flow yoga class + tuneup balls
    Wednesday - 60 min weight/fitness class followed by stretching
    Thursday - 120 min yoga class - flow, tuneup and Yin
    Friday - long hike outdoors 60+ min
    Several times a week do squats, planks and 7-way hips at home.

My yoga instructor is amazing and thinks outside the box re our classes. She includes a lot of “natural movement” and body weight work over and above traditional yoga positions and movements.

Right now not riding at home but by April shld be riding Sat and Sun w hubby plus at least once more during week.

FYI, everything I do re exercise is to improve my riding. Gotta have something you are passionate about.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm able to go to the gym the 4 days a week I work, so I do strength training two of those days (quick and basic: 4 compound movements/lifts) and cardio two of those days (I do MAF method training). On the weekends I walk/hike as fits our schedule and the weather. It's high elevation (6-8,000 feet above sea level) because we live in the mountains, so I feel like that adds a nice element to my fitness program.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Shron123 wrote: »

My yoga instructor is amazing and thinks outside the box re our classes. She includes a lot of “natural movement” and body weight work over and above traditional yoga positions and movements.

Right now not riding at home but by April shld be riding Sat and Sun w hubby plus at least once more during week.

FYI, everything I do re exercise is to improve my riding. Gotta have something you are passionate about.

Your yoga teacher sounds a lot like mine!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    recumbent exercise bike and walking

I find the recumbent bike to be exercise I can easily fit in because I do it while doing other things. When I'm chatting on the phone or Skyping with family or friends, I get on the bike. I can read MFP posts, read the online news, watch Netflix, etc. and exercise at the same time.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Nothing out of the ordinary for me. I am trying to build up my cardio/running endurance and my goal is go 3x a week during my lunch hours. I strength train Monday and Wednesday evenings and have yoga class on Tuesday & Thursday's. The weekend is sort of a crap shoot....
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm - I have been w her about 10 years. She moved away a couple of years ago and I tried about 5 different instructors, none of whom cld match her enthusiasm, knowledge, passion, etc. Thankfully, so many former students kept in touch that she now commutes and leads the two classes I now attend. Thank God really, as she is irreplaceable and pure motivation
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Such a wide range of activity which is great to see! So great to hear what people are doing!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    -Run
    -Hike / wilderness backpack
    -Lift weights
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm - I have been w her about 10 years. She moved away a couple of years ago and I tried about 5 different instructors, none of whom cld match her enthusiasm, knowledge, passion, etc. Thankfully, so many former students kept in touch that she now commutes and leads the two classes I now attend. Thank God really, as she is irreplaceable and pure motivation

I'd practically move towns for mine! I plan my teaching load around her!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Wow! I'm amazed you can find the time for all of that.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I've decided that just reading this post exhausts me and is way too much exercise for me, I need to head back to bed with a coffee!!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Back in the day, I did the classic Layne Norton Power/Hypertrophy split (pull day, leg day, push day sequence 6 out of 7 days/week lifting with 1 cardio only day in between 3 day rounds, 3 days high reps light weight, 3 days low reps heavy weight ex) 1 heavy leg day, 1 lightweight/high rep leg day same for push & pull muscle groups).

Currently doing something similar as far as the split goes but doing 3 days of leg training/week...not separating volume days from heavy low rep days though (using a mix similar to how Jim Stoppani suggests training). Slowly but surely moving to a simple upper body/lower body split (if I can figure out how to not spend 2 hours lifting during upper body days...lol too many god damn bodybuilder-esque isolation moves in my routines). Cardio everyday...LISS or moderate intensity (not incorporating HIIT yet, but plan on eventually).

I'm not certain any particular type of training would cater specifically or give people following keto an advantage....where's that wabmester? I'm sure he's got some controversial articles on endurance runners out performing those traditional glycogen loading marathon runners and such. From personal experience, I would say on keto, personal bests can be attainable with enough consistent training and time adapted; I will admit, carbohydrates as a fuel source can help more acutely for hitting good numbers though (some good YouTube content from Dr. Mike Israetal on carbs being superior for power lifters at least)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Rx_Keto wrote: »
    Back in the day, I did the classic Layne Norton Power/Hypertrophy split (pull day, leg day, push day sequence 6 out of 7 days/week lifting with 1 cardio only day in between 3 day rounds, 3 days high reps light weight, 3 days low reps heavy weight ex) 1 heavy leg day, 1 lightweight/high rep leg day same for push & pull muscle groups).

Currently doing something similar as far as the split goes but doing 3 days of leg training/week...not separating volume days from heavy low rep days though (using a mix similar to how Jim Stoppani suggests training). Slowly but surely moving to a simple upper body/lower body split (if I can figure out how to not spend 2 hours lifting during upper body days...lol too many god damn bodybuilder-esque isolation moves in my routines). Cardio everyday...LISS or moderate intensity (not incorporating HIIT yet, but plan on eventually).

I'm not certain any particular type of training would cater specifically or give people following keto an advantage....where's that wabmester? I'm sure he's got some controversial articles on endurance runners out performing those traditional glycogen loading marathon runners and such. From personal experience, I would say on keto, personal bests can be attainable with enough consistent training and time adapted; I will admit, carbohydrates as a fuel source can help more acutely for hitting good numbers though (some good YouTube content from Dr. Mike Israetal on carbs being superior for power lifters at least)

@wabmester
    :wink:
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try to walk daily at a decent clip outside in the fresh air. When I have the time I hit the treadmill between 30-60 minutes some days at an incline other days a faster pace and less incline. I also lift weights (different muscle groups on different days), pushups, and crunches. This is nothing hard core and I tailor my workout based on responsibilities for the week. Some weeks I may only get my walks in while others I might work out 5-6 days a week. I definitely try to get over 7000 steps a day and on average right around 10,000 but on intense weeks that pops up to 14,000 steps or more. I don't like to spend more than 1hr 20 minutes working out and used to get my entire workout done in 40 minutes so I would like to get back to that.

I also practice mindfulness 7 days a week 20 minutes a day. I highly recommend a mind/body program of some type.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Shopping