cauliflower rice/riced cauliflower

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I had an aha (duh?) moment yesterday and decided to wok fry my cauliflower rice before serving it as the base for mapo tofu. (spicy chinese tofu). OMG cooking the rice made it so much better! I've cooked it when stir frying it before and of course when using it for pizza crust. But not for just serving. YUM.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to pick up a bag and give it a try, so I will totally keep this in mind!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    That's already on my menu for tonight! Took me a few tries before getting it right. Made the mistake of steaming it once before ricing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    That's already on my menu for tonight! Took me a few tries before getting it right. Made the mistake of steaming it once before ricing.

Steaming only really works for making the pizza crust. I also read that roasting it in the oven on a cookie sheet with a bit of oil works well. But woking it is so much faster.

Having left overs with a yummy roast and some asparagus and half an avocado for lunch. YUM.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @JodehFoster , I do both. I think it's Green Giant, but they now make spiralized veggie noodles and riced cauliflower and cauliflower mash (but it has rice flour in it)...anyway, I do stock up on some of the pre-made frozen products for days where convenience is a factor. But I do like the taste of fresh better. I used the riced cauliflower/broccoli blend in a buffalo chicken dip and the bitter cruciferous flavor totally overpowered it...where I hadn't had that issue with fresh before.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen stuff. I use it so often, buying pre-made saves me a good bit of time on meal prep. I do find that it has more moisture than fresh, but cooking it on a very high heat seems to help get rid of the extra water without sacrificing the texture. My current obsession is salsa chicken "rice" bowls!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I bought the Trader Joe's frozen cauliflower rice and added it to cooked ground beef, salt, pepper and 21 spice seasoning (Trader Joe's) and omg it's GOOD!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How much does a bag cost? At TJs, or Kroger etc.?
  • mettfam
    mettfam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m in Canada but I buy it at Costco in the fresh produce. We use it a few times a week in place of rice or startches. So fast with it already riced and it takes minutes to pan fry it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    mettfam wrote: »
    I’m in Canada but I buy it at Costco in the fresh produce. We use it a few times a week in place of rice or startches. So fast with it already riced and it takes minutes to pan fry it

I haven't seen it in costco here, but I'll look again! Thanks for the tip.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I buy a head and chop it up then rice in blender after washing. Takes 5 min tops. For a full head I use 2-3 tbsp coconut oil w cumin and turmeric - about 1 tsp each plus salt and pepper. Totally yum. Also do a Thai version w curry. Equally yum.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    How much does a bag cost? At TJs, or Kroger etc.?

I can't remember but not too expensive. Green Giant now has frozen cauliflower rice and available at Walmart. I bet Loblaws has something in the freezer section!

I mixed some in my all meat chili last night and no complaints!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mettfam wrote: »

I haven't seen it in costco here, but I'll look again! Thanks for the tip.

The Walmart in my area of Canada carries Green Giant Riced Cauliflower in the frozen food section for $3.47 for 340 grams. Maybe check with your local Walmart if you're in the US. (Edit: lol, I see someone already mentioned this already - I didn't go through all of the comments. Hope you can find some in your area)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Now that Whole Foods has been taken over by Amazon, I've been purchasing 365 (Whole Foods brand) frozen organic riced cauliflower for $1.99 (regular price) for a 12 oz. package. This is substantially less than my local grocery stores, even when my local stores have a sale. I've been buying it through Amazon Prime Now at an even lower price because Amazon offers various deals where I've gotten $5.00 - $10.00 off your order promo deals (minimum purchase $35 for free home delivery).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Now that Whole Foods has been taken over by Amazon, I've been purchasing 365 (Whole Foods brand) frozen organic riced cauliflower for $1.99 (regular price) for a 12 oz. package. This is substantially less than my local grocery stores, even when my local stores have a sale. I've been buying it through Amazon Prime Now at an even lower price because Amazon offers various deals where I've gotten $5.00 - $10.00 off your order promo deals (minimum purchase $35 for free home delivery).
    Do those orders come in a refrigerated package?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's $6 for the giant costo size bag of organic riced cauliflower...I haven't tried it yet...
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

In case you are unfamiliar with Amazon Prime Now, it is different from other Amazon shipments. Fresh and frozen food delivery is not available everywhere - although I know they are expanding this service. The order comes directly from a local Amazon warehouse (in my case Raleigh, NC - I live in a suburb about a 1/2 hr. away). You place an order for delivery within a 2 hr. window of time (8 a.m. - 10 p.m). They send their drivers directly to your home (they typically have several stops within the delivery window time frame). The refrigerated and frozen items that I have purchased have come in bags with ice packs- sometimes paper bags, sometimes insulated bags depending on the item. It's fine if you're home to accept the delivery but I would not recommend it for a drop off delivery, unless they pack differently for a drop off delivery. They very well may do so, I've just always arranged for delivery when I'm home.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

In case you are unfamiliar with Amazon Prime Now, it is different from other Amazon shipments. Fresh and frozen food delivery is not available everywhere - although I know they are expanding this service. The order comes directly from a local Amazon warehouse (in my case Raleigh, NC - I live in a suburb about a 1/2 hr. away). You place an order for delivery within a 2 hr. window of time (8 a.m. - 10 p.m). They send their drivers directly to your home (they typically have several stops within the delivery window time frame). The refrigerated and frozen items that I have purchased have come in bags with ice packs- sometimes paper bags, sometimes insulated bags depending on the item. It's fine if you're home to accept the delivery but I would not recommend it for a drop off delivery, unless they pack differently for a drop off delivery. They very well may do so, I've just always arranged for delivery when I'm home.
    Thanks for this. I'm not sure we have this option yet. I'll check!