Blood sugar tanked.

Options

Replies

• PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I understand about the drops feeling uncomfortable. It took me a while to get past the diabetes educators who said you only had those feelings when you were actually low. No, you get them when there is a big difference even if it isn't technically low. I have been doing low carb (trying for 50, succeeding about 60) for the last 3 months. When my morning BS is down below 100, I drop my insulin (I only take Lantus and metformin) by 2 units. My BS will then go up to between 105 and 115 in the morning, and I start again. So far I have gone from 58 units to 36 units. The biggest drop was at the beginning and I did have to occasionally eat an orange when my blood sugar dropped to 70. Good luck with your journey, and keep checking your blood sugar and adjusting downward as you get better. :-)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @Scorpiotwin, in case you haven't already gotten around to it, I would suggest you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and watch his insulin-themed Diabetes University videos on YouTube. They are extremely informative, and his approach is pure LC, with as little insulin and Metformin as necessary.

BTW he's his own best success story - still going strong in his 80s with T1D, on a LC diet for decades B), by studiously disregarding conventional medical and ADA exhortations to eat more carbs and take more insulin. :s

I second the suggestion to read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. What an awesome guy. His story and his life are amazing. He was actually an engineer (with Type 1) who got fed up with the medical stupidity going on and decided to become an MD himself to help other diabetics. I thoroughly enjoyed his book because even though he is an MD I can see the engineer as well, heh. Do check him out. :)

He's a big reason we even have home blood sugar testing devices at all. He fought tooth and nail for them when they were first being developed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a relatively new perspective, but it could really change the way that even conventional medicine treats some types of diabetes!

https://blog.thediabetessite.com/5-types/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I know that this is a relatively new perspective, but it could really change the way that even conventional medicine treats some types of diabetes!

Yep, very interesting. I saw this on MedScape the other day when I was going through my notifications from their site.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Thanks for this link. I hadn’t seen this yet. I will be discussing this with my doc next time as I think that second cluster sounds more like me wher I just don’t produce enough insulin but not a type 1. My fasting insulin ranges between 3&4 and glucose and fructose metabolism both test well, but can’t get my A1c below 6
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Thanks for this link. I hadn’t seen this yet. I will be discussing this with my doc next time as I think that second cluster sounds more like me wher I just don’t produce enough insulin but not a type 1. My fasting insulin ranges between 3&4 and glucose and fructose metabolism both test well, but can’t get my A1c below 6

@cstehansen - That's so strange! I hope you get some answers... By any chance, has your doctor run the beta cell tests to determine your pancreatic function, etc.? @Sunny_Bunny_ can better explain, as she's been through all that with her daughter. I found it fascinating how many tests there are to tell you what beta cell function capacity you have, as well as if it's autoimmune related, and all of that stuff...

I wonder if you continually overtaxed your pancreas/insulin when you used to do your extended exercise/increased volume eating, leaving it less able to perform as needed in a normal setting.

I know that at my absolute best, my fasting insulin level was around/just under a 6...the 7-9 range is pretty normal for me fasting, doesn't matter 8-12 hours, etc. My A1c has not been over a 5.3 or 5.4%....

Have you used any of the "naturally balancing blood glucose" nutrients or supplements? It seems like these days, nearly everyone puts stupid chromium into vitamins, and it attempts to override my body's existing, developed blood sugar management system.

Vanadium is one of those...alpha lipoic acid (ALA)...etc.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Have you had a fructosamine test? It's like A1c, but the time frame is much shorter and the confounding factors are different.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to listen to all if this yet, but sounds like a similar thing. Shawn Baker is a really fit, middle aged carnivore who has some higher BG readings than expected, usually in the morning. His insulin levels were good too. He might have some insights that could apply to your situation.

https://robbwolf.com/2018/03/13/episode-385-dr-shawn-baker-carnivore-diet-and-dr-bakers-blood-work/

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard information before about the fact that red blood cells live longer on keto than SAD. So if that’s the case, that’s part of the explanation to why his A1c is high. His cells have been around for longer than the 3 months the test is using to determine the number. So it’s just inaccurate
  • ccol4him
    ccol4him Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 and have had a few low blood sugar levels in the morning, mostly. Sometimes, just moderately low, like 60-80. I have been doing this WOE since October, but have done low carb before. The blood sugar levels that are low scare me. I no longer take diabetes medicine except for a few spikes. I tried 20 carbs a day, but it was just too low.I usually eat 30-80, and sometimes 100. I turned 50 early this year. I've lost about 15 pounds, but it goes up and down.I also have lymphedema. Finding the right carb limit seems to be hard for me.
  • cstehansen
    Options

@cstehansen - That's so strange! I hope you get some answers... By any chance, has your doctor run the beta cell tests to determine your pancreatic function, etc.? @Sunny_Bunny_ can better explain, as she's been through all that with her daughter. I found it fascinating how many tests there are to tell you what beta cell function capacity you have, as well as if it's autoimmune related, and all of that stuff...

I wonder if you continually overtaxed your pancreas/insulin when you used to do your extended exercise/increased volume eating, leaving it less able to perform as needed in a normal setting.

I know that at my absolute best, my fasting insulin level was around/just under a 6...the 7-9 range is pretty normal for me fasting, doesn't matter 8-12 hours, etc. My A1c has not been over a 5.3 or 5.4%....

Have you used any of the "naturally balancing blood glucose" nutrients or supplements? It seems like these days, nearly everyone puts stupid chromium into vitamins, and it attempts to override my body's existing, developed blood sugar management system.

Vanadium is one of those...alpha lipoic acid (ALA)...etc.

I have not had autoimmune test yet.

I have tried all kinds of natural remedies with little to no effect. The only one that looks like it might be having an effect is gaba which is more designed to get my high cortisol under control.

Oddly, what appears to be working for me a bit right now is eating a higher volume of the more insulinogenic proteins. My theory was that the small amount of carbohydrate in my diet was not stimulating any insulin secretion and that by adding the more insulinogenic proteins into my diet, it may actually overshoot and drive down my BG a bit. Results are looking positive initially.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Have you had a fructosamine test? It's like A1c, but the time frame is much shorter and the confounding factors are different.

I have had this run each of the last three visits. All the results were in line with the A1c where "normal" is under 200, pre-diabetic is 200-250. Mine is consistently in the 225-233 range which lines up pretty well with my A1c that is 6.0-6.1.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to listen to all if this yet, but sounds like a similar thing. Shawn Baker is a really fit, middle aged carnivore who has some higher BG readings than expected, usually in the morning. His insulin levels were good too. He might have some insights that could apply to your situation.

https://robbwolf.com/2018/03/13/episode-385-dr-shawn-baker-carnivore-diet-and-dr-bakers-blood-work/

Funny that you post this. I had just listened to that podcast and thought, "holy cow, his BG numbers sound just like mine." However, my other numbers seem to be better than his - cholesterol ratios and testosterone.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I’ve heard information before about the fact that red blood cells live longer on keto than SAD. So if that’s the case, that’s part of the explanation to why his A1c is high. His cells have been around for longer than the 3 months the test is using to determine the number. So it’s just inaccurate

I had been thinking about this, but the fructosamine test lining up with the A1c is a confounding factor.

Just not having enough insulin production without actual autoimmune or beta cell death makes a lot of sense for a couple of reasons.

First, my dad has had pre-diabetic BG since the early 90's without any progression and his dad had a similar situation - neither being overweight. So if this is hereditary, that is a strong piece of evidence.

Second, up until just a couple years ago, the doctor only did FBG and not A1c and I was always told it was "higher than I would like to see, but not pre-diabetic" when in reality looking back, those FBG numbers from my early 30's are the same as I have now (110-115), so likely had my A1c been done then, I would have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic 15 years ago. With no real change in time over that period other than a brief spike up to 6.6 just prior to going low carb, this consistency makes me think I may have been this way for a long time, especially since my first physical post high school was in my 30's.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    ccol4him wrote: »
    I'm type 2 and have had a few low blood sugar levels in the morning, mostly. Sometimes, just moderately low, like 60-80. I have been doing this WOE since October, but have done low carb before. The blood sugar levels that are low scare me. I no longer take diabetes medicine except for a few spikes. I tried 20 carbs a day, but it was just too low.I usually eat 30-80, and sometimes 100. I turned 50 early this year. I've lost about 15 pounds, but it goes up and down.I also have lymphedema. Finding the right carb limit seems to be hard for me.

I would not be concerned about the number regardless of how low UNLESS you are symptomatic. There are multiple studies from back before the ethics boards would have allowed them showing that if someone is fully ketogenic, getting BG down below 20 caused no symptoms or harm.

In this podcast - http://www.ketohackingmd.com/4-7-day-water-fasting-hack-experiment-results-part-1/ - they are discussing both ketone and BG readings over the course of a 7 day fast where the doctor actually got down around 30 for a BG.

Now, both of these people have been keto for many years and there bodies have fully adapted. Since you are still relatively new, I doubt you would get that low. It takes time, but it is normal for the BG to trend down. As long as you are eating smart and not taking medication to lower your BG, it shouldn't drop too fast.

Having lymphedema means it is almost 100% that you have insulin resistance. As others can on here can attest, being overweight does not mean you are always insulin resistant. And as I can attest, being insulin sensitive does not always mean your BG is optimal.

The reason it is important is the more insulin resistant you are, the more strict you have to be on your carb count. If you are symptomatic at the lower BG levels, the best way to combat that is to be more consistent in carb count (at a lower level) which will give you more consistent BG readings. The absolute number is not the issue when it comes to symptoms. It is rather the range and speed of the drop. Going from 80 to 60 may not cause any symptoms, but going from 250 down to 150 could cause someone to have hypoglycemic symptoms.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I could have written this headline earlier today. Been a super long time since my BS tanked aka went this low. When something woke me up at 345AM, as soon as I stood up I was like whoa something is not right here. It had gone to 45 good grief it should never be that low.

I am a T2D, and the goal for morning BS is under 120. I personally have been working on it to get it more between 95-105 as that seems to be my sweet spot.

And I know exactly what caused it on Sunday. Not my normal walking.
    But for all the people who snicker and state housework is not exercise. We have wood floors. So I first used murphy soap and washed the floors. And moved the furniture around as well. Then I used the wood floor outshine to make them all look pretty. 6 rooms, 3 hallways later they looked great. About 90 minutes straight, I was soaking wet with sweat when done.

And I take my long lasting lantus at night. Been taking 40 units, use to be 70. I take Trulicity once a week as well. Note to self, if besides your long walk, you do anything to point of sweating buckets adjust the Lantus down next time. It use to be more medications but I have decreased both number of medications and amount I still take since starting LC in May 2018.

It took me eating something twice in 40 minutes to get the numbers above 80. When I got up for the days hours later it was at 110 which shows I had way too much insulin floating around.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    120 right after eating something is good.

If you are 120 while fasting, it is too high. If you normally run 200's and 300's, you really need to get to 120 (and even lower) RIGHT NOW!!!

Staying in the 200's and 300's all the time is what ruins your health.

Pretty much this.

I tend to now run a fasted of 85-87 and PP of 110-115 (have had it as low as 90 if I run a 20-30 minute cycling session before eating) and have never felt better. A1c now tends to hover around 4.6-4.8.

Admittedly though, it took me some years to get to this point. I don’t even see a 140 PP reading after eating 100g (dry weight) of white rice anymore.
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm type two and just started low carbing again and in just two days my bg numbers are down like from 10. morning fasting to 7.5 this morning. So low carbing works. Thank you all for the great info.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm type two and just started low carbing again and in just two days my bg numbers are down like from 10. morning fasting to 7.5 this morning. So low carbing works. Thank you all for the great info.

10 to 7.5 representing what?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

10 to 7.5 representing what?

Probably fasting blood glucose, measured in mmol/l.