Liquid Protein Requirements

Options
DawnCumm
DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
I am two months in and was calculating my food/drinks with the goal of 60 to 80 grams of protein each day but my NUT just advised that they recommend at least 60 grams alone from liquid protein because of your inability to absorb like you used to, I had RNY. What have you all been told?

Replies

• Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would suggest following what your NUT said to do. :)

My NUT just said to get at LEAST 60 grams of protein a day. (RNY 5/16/17) I'll be 10 months post op on Friday, and my labs have all been good. (minus my liver enzymes being elevated due to the dang gallstones... but they were normal until last month!)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done August 2016. My nutritionist wanted me to get 80 grams of protein daily from all sources combined. Some days I have less, some days more. I believe I average out at around 75-78.

As @Samquentin stated, follow the guidelines your surgeon gave you.
  • staypuffstedman
    staypuffstedman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi did you get this protein from supplement drink or from food? I have just been sleeved a week ago, any tips you could give me? Thanks v much
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Hi did you get this protein from supplement drink or from food? I have just been sleeved a week ago, any tips you could give me? Thanks v much

They are recommending 60 to 80 from supplemental drinks, additional from food is fine. Just seemed high to me because initially I was combining food and supplement/drinks to get this amount. Seems from what I have seen above this is not the norm. I am doing what they say but man this seems like a lot of drinking in between meals.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Honestly this makes no sense to me. I understand protein recommendations after WLS but to say 60 have to come from an artificial liquid source? I would think you'd absorb LESS, not more.

I quit protein drinks within a few months of VSG. I eat mostly whole foods and get plenty of protein from food. I'm the lightest and healthiest I've been in my adult life.
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    DawnCumm wrote: »

They are recommending 60 to 80 from supplemental drinks, additional from food is fine. Just seemed high to me because initially I was combining food and supplement/drinks to get this amount. Seems from what I have seen above this is not the norm. I am doing what they say but man this seems like a lot of drinking in between meals.

They are probably recommending it from the protein drinks specifically because they are the easiest source of protein for you to digest after surgery and before you start introducing protein-rich foods like chicken, tuna, etc.

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

They are probably recommending it from the protein drinks specifically because they are the easiest source of protein for you to digest after surgery and before you start introducing protein-rich foods like chicken, tuna, etc.

This. I was told in the beginning to use protein drinks to supplement my protein intake because I wouldn't be able to reach my protein goal with food, but I was also told that ultimately I should aim to reach my protein goal with protein rich foods.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had the VSG surgery and initially started off getting all my protein in liquid form, 60-65 grams per day. As I was able to start eating I reduced the liquid protein supplements. It's a slow transition but that was the recommendation from my surgery center. But like everyone else said follow your nutritionist guidelines.

I think the amount of protein required varies by gender and I see some variances by Doctor's.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    I did ask for how long, I am past month three but my NUT stated this would be ongoing. I am going to re-ask at my next appt. IMO if you are getting protein amounts from any source seems fine, but her response was related to part of my inability to absorb these nutrients long term.....but I can see that others are not being asked to do this long term. :smile:
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    DawnCumm wrote: »
    I did ask for how long, I am past month three but my NUT stated this would be ongoing. I am going to re-ask at my next appt. IMO if you are getting protein amounts from any source seems fine, but her response was related to part of my inability to absorb these nutrients long term.....but I can see that others are not being asked to do this long term. :smile:

I know that people who have RNY have absorption problems getting their nutrients. I had the standard sleeve and after I could start eating protein rich foods, they told me to taper off on the drinks, bars, etc and try to get as much as I can from regular foods.