Are pork rinds acceptable as a low carb snack?

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    nill4me wrote: »

These look interesting, someone tried them in an Airfryer too and that seemed to work well.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited March 2018
    That was my supper last night!! Pork rinds with shredded cheese and jalapeño slices done up under the broiler. Yum!
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    My snack this weekend was hot pork rinds with some peanut butter...odd combination, but it totally hit the spot. If I wasn't in a drought, I'd think I was pregnant by this craving combo :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    They have replaced tortilla chips in my life. I love doing nachos with them. They are great to use on anything you topped with saltines as well. When I get stressed I have to have something crunchy and they fill the bill.

Mine are not overly processed, just deep fried in lard.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Just got this recipe off a Facebook keto group for pork rind panko (crumbs) keto bread; it sounds great!

KETO BREAD
    Virtually zero carb per slice. I usually double the recipe.

Single recipe
    5 eggs
    3 oz crushed pork rinds (1 package from Bacon's Heir)
    1 Tablespoon soft butter
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1 Tablespoon powdered seasoning of choice (garlic, rosemary, etc.)
    Blend all ingredients (should be pourable. If too thick, add a splash of water.)
    Line a baking pan of choice with parchment, add mixture.
    Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    nikoba wrote: »
    My snack this weekend was hot pork rinds with some peanut butter...odd combination, but it totally hit the spot. If I wasn't in a drought, I'd think I was pregnant by this craving combo :)

Personally, I don't think this sounds odd at all. I would use almond butter instead. I have put all kinds of things on pork rinds - cream cheese, various cheese spreads (garlic herb, parmesan pepper, pimento, etc), sunflower butter, almond butter, tahini.......

It's all good.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    nikoba wrote: »

Yep, bacon & peanut butter has always been a great sandwich combo, so why not?
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Not just as a snack; they could be breakfast. Have you tried Mock French Toast? I know, it sounds weird, but it tastes quite a lot like French Toast to me. This has been kicking it around the low carb forums since at least 2001.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    I would say reduce the processed food when possible is a good idea. If you don’t have time in the morning, try buy some avocado. When ripe, just sprinkle some soy sauce on top and eat it raw. It’s one of the healthiest fat in the world, and very filling, delicious, with tons of nutrients. Much better alternative.

Or boil some egg the night before, again get some soy sauce packet from fast food restaurants and take the egg with soy sauce with you in the morning with a ziplock bag for the egg shell. Much better for your health and much cheaper also saves time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Had pork rind nachos again last night. :love:
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    If you can get them down...sure!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Oh, I wish I could find salt and vinegar pork rinds. My store only has plain ones.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    I tried the Carolina gold nuggets and maybe I got a bad batch, but they never popped in the microwave- had to use the oven and even then, some didn't "pop"
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    I tried the Carolina gold nuggets and maybe I got a bad batch, but they never popped in the microwave- had to use the oven and even then, some didn't "pop"

I bought these too. After reading reviews on Amazon, I skipped microwaving them. I bake them at 400 degrees for five minutes. Perfect every time except a couple of times early on when I rushed and skimped on the preheating time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Awesome thread. I have not tried any in a long time. I do the same with almonds and pepper jack cheese crisps. Whispers is the brand I get a WalMart from time to time.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I just found these on Amazon in Japan, and it looks like they are pork rinds that need to be deep fried -- do they resemble the microwave type sold in the US? Wondering if I can try that...
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B010A2D0TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2mxuwychw2cv.png
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Pork rinds and hummus are a great snack too! Nom
  • ChoiceNotChance
    @camtosh, that's what the Carolina Gold nuggets look like.
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    I like them crumbled on a salad. Nice substitute for croutons.