Why do people hate keto when it works so well?

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I just posted on the motivation threads, asking people to join me in making a pledge to keep to whatever diet plan they are trying to keep to, for 2 weeks, and the ONLY responses I have had so far are people who want to berate me about my chosen diet.

Why are people like this? Surely on MFP they should rejoice that someone has found something that works?

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just posted on the motivation threads, asking people to join me in making a pledge to keep to whatever diet plan they are trying to keep to, for 2 weeks, and the ONLY responses I have had so far are people who want to berate me about my chosen diet.

Why are people like this? Surely on MFP they should rejoice that someone has found something that works?

I don't know why the main forums have people who are unsupportive of any WOE other than 'eat what you want if it fits w/i your calories'. One of my new friends started a thread asking for help because she has problems with chocolate. She handled the attacks on her decision to abstain with much grace - much more than I could have. In fact, I would have cried had I openly asked for help & then received judgment & belittlement.

So it's not just Keto they don't like. And because of that I mostly just lurk up there. MFP isn't the only WL forum where people have *very* strong opinions about keto "it's just a fad" "you'll die if you don't eat carbs" "it's too restrictive you'll never make it a week" blahblahblah.

I like the low carb groups (Atkins, Keto, Low Carbers Daily...). I find the folks down here in the basement to be very supportive & lowkey.

Hang in there. You are enthused about trying to change your life for the better & want to help others. I know it must sting to get the reception you got. ((hugs))
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find it's better for me to mainly stay in my keto/primal/paleo bubble on the forum...not because I am close minded but because I can maintain better focus on what I know best for me.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Keto and Atkins combined has cured me of my diabeties and has given me 71 pounds lost so far with EASE, I feel wonderful and the road ahead is a happy one thanks to Keto, I just has some blood work done and the numbers on cholestorol and kidneys and liver and blood sugar are the best they have been in over 20 years, when the doctor asked what I was doing, I lied, why because i would get that same ole look they always give, """ its dangerous""" ,,, please, look at the test scores!!!,,, so i just answered her with "more out , less in", that seemed to sataify the doctor,, so why do people treat us like they do, same reason the doctor does, they have bought all the montra that went around years ago that keto and atkins is dangerous, that it raises blood scores badly, when we all know they dont, but the old lies are there to stay , so keep doing what your doing, and keep losing weight and feeling great, along the way a few will listen to you and a few will get out of the same old trap we used to be caught in
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Keto and Atkins combined has cured me of my diabeties and has given me 71 pounds lost so far with EASE, I feel wonderful and the road ahead is a happy one thanks to Keto, I just has some blood work done and the numbers on cholestorol and kidneys and liver and blood sugar are the best they have been in over 20 years, when the doctor asked what I was doing, I lied, why because i would get that same ole look they always give, """ its dangerous""" ,,, please, look at the test scores!!!,,, so i just answered her with "more out , less in", that seemed to sataify the doctor,, so why do people treat us like they do, same reason the doctor does, they have bought all the montra that went around years ago that keto and atkins is dangerous, that it raises blood scores badly, when we all know they dont, but the old lies are there to stay , so keep doing what your doing, and keep losing weight and feeling great, along the way a few will listen to you and a few will get out of the same old trap we used to be caught in

Indeed :)
  • xMermaidx
    xMermaidx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I'm glad when I joined MFP I went straight to the Keto board, everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Maybe it's because we're all munching on bacon and whipped cream. :smile:
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ppl always bring up (in real life mostly) how Atkins died young of a heart attack, so good luck with that, basically.. :huh: anyone else get that?
  • timwhoa
    Options
    Years after his death in 2003, the rumor that Dr. Robert Atkins "died of his own diet" persists. The falsehoods concerning his death are mainly propagated by the vegan group the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and related groups and individuals. However, even the mainstream media is not blameless. In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system,
    and yet people like the previous poster keeps this old MYTH alive, please do your homework, and stop perpetuating what you have not looked into
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    To be CLEAR.....I wasn't saying I believed that. I was merely asking if other ppl are approached with that statement when they tell ppl they're doing low carb. Geez
  • timwhoa
    Options
    sorry touched a nerve there, we have to stand up for low carb and all it does for the good of people who use it, I miss understood what you were trying to say,, smile
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Years after his death in 2003, the rumor that Dr. Robert Atkins "died of his own diet" persists. The falsehoods concerning his death are mainly propagated by the vegan group the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and related groups and individuals. However, even the mainstream media is not blameless. In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system,
    and yet people like the previous poster keeps this old MYTH alive, please do your homework, and stop perpetuating what you have not looked into

I didn't know all that ty :)
  • BryonyKate
    BryonyKate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I just started keto on monday so thought I would give my input!
    So a bit of my background.

June 2012- I start extreme dieting. I decided to try the "juice diet" and the amazing results I had in the first week meant I wanted to go on with it..and on..and on. In the end I was on the diet for almost 8 weeks. (yup..8 weeks of fresh vegetable and fruit juice.) Along with this I was also exercising 2-3 hours a day. Looking back I have no idea how I didn't just end up collapsing.

I then went on a trip for a week where of course juicing was not really optional! Even with restricting myself to 5-600 cals a day, I still put on about 10Ibs just because my body had been so starved of food.

Upset about this drastic weight gain, I went all extreme again. I was actually eating this time but maximum of 800cals a day, and was at this point I guess I was (I've heard people call it this) an "exercise bulimic". I was exercising for a minimum of 4 hours a day. So over time I was losing more and more weight but of course felt terrible most of the time.

Then in March of this year, I went travelling for 10 weeks around Australia and Asia..and of course BAM..hello weight gain. I don't actually know how much I gained exactly. I didn't need to look at numbers to know it was a LOT. I would guess maybe 35-40Ibs. Since I returned in May I tried everything under the sun to get the weight off. The only thing I didn't do was over exercise and under-eat as this is obviously what lead to the problem in the first place. Instead I was making sure I kept my workouts to max 2hours a day and made sure I was eating a minimum of 1200 cals. Since May I was playing around with my macros...some weeks eating far more carbs, other weeks far more protein. The only thing I never changed as my fat. I always had that lowest (25% of my daily intake)..and yes..it was because we are all brainwashed to believe fat = obesity, high cholesterol and heart problems. Growing up my mum would only buy low fat butter alternatives..butter was like the evil food! Always had low fat cream cheese, low fat yogurt. Everywhere around us (on tv, magazines, billboards) we see "ONLY 99CALS AND LESS THAN 2% FAT!!" I was actually very "fearful" of carbs back in my extreme days of diet and exercise but over time I kept hearing about the "good and bad carbs" so started to eat more whole grain foods. I also saw a lot of people have great success and who looked physically great having a very balanced diet of protein fat and carbs. so I thought "well if they can eat carbs and look great so can I". I would see girls eating smoothies everyday consisting of 5-6 pieces of fruit, as well as a sandwich for lunch and brown rice with dinner. Only recently am I truly understanding the concept that every one is different. Its only after having spent 2 or 3 days watching various documentaries and looking through websites that I full understand keto and the low carb way of life. But "high fat" is taboo within society. People just aren't prepared to do the research because to them, advertisements on TV telling you that this "new low fat yogurt is best" is research enough.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know that I was guilty of falling for the conventional wisdom plan of "healthy" eating, and I actually (regretfully) convinced my mom to adopt that plan too. Low-fat cheese, skim milk, granola bars, whole-wheat toast with margarine. It actually makes me cringe to think about now. She's gained 30 lbs and I'm having the hardest time trying to get her back on the right path. She just refuses to give up her cheerios with banana and skim milk every morning because she believes it's healthy.

I think a lot of people who get results using conventional wisdom see keto as a "cheater's" diet. They have to work SO HARD to see any results, and with keto the fat just kind of falls off naturally. A lot of people don't need to exercise and we certainly don't need to starve ourselves.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. Thanks especially for the info on Dr Atkins, and for the story of juice dieting!

In the UK practically anyone who refuses a cake is accused of following the "notoriously dangerous Atkins fad diet". As these days I am not up for a fight every time I tend to avoid the A word and say I am following a ketogenic diet. As most people have no idea what this means, but are happy that it sounds vaguely scientific, they leave me alone. If anyone does want to warn me against it, I tell them that the UK govt's health agency, the NHS, advises epileptic children to follow keto. That shuts them up because they cannot believe the UK govt would put children on a diet that kills them with heart disease.

This SAME UK govt NHS simultaneously advises that keto will kill you - presumably only if you are an adult.

It's a CRAZY world, eh?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I'm on a ketogenic diet to manage my autism. Shuts 'em up real quick. I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, so technically I am a high-functioning autistic, though keto helps mainly with the attention-deficit aspects of it.
  • confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just tell people I'm on a ketogenic diet to manage my autism. Shuts 'em up real quick. I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, so technically I am a high-functioning autistic, though keto helps mainly with the attention-deficit aspects of it.

Yeah, I just say I'm pre-diabetic.. which hasn't been actually diagnosed to me, but my entire family has heart disease. So I consider that risk factor to be a pre-diabetic.
  • greenevalley88
    greenevalley88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    366to266 wrote: »

I was barrated terrible and put on trial when I spoke about how I lost weight on keto protical. I had to delete my account from the verbal harrasment and toxic arguments. :(
  • Half_Bruin
    Half_Bruin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fear of the unconventional is nothing new. Do what works for you and block out the negativity. I am a few weeks into Keto and will reserve my positive or negative feedback until I have a larger sample size. At the end of the day people choking down broiled chicken breast and brown rice probably do not like the idea that you are achieving results on bacon and cheese.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @Half_Bruin I hope the keto is working and your exams going well, just wanted to say I think you mean a smaller sample size, you're loosing weight, right? LOL :D:D:D