Am i in ketosis or what?

Options
cata2222
cata2222 Posts: 2 Member
Heyy its been a week since i started my keto journey and i have been eating less than 20g of carbs a day but im not sure if i have already enered ketosis... i felt dizzy for some days and im no longer hungry but i dont have that fruity taste in my mouth i had when i first tried the diet... i lost 7 pounds but i think it just may be water weight! Do you know if i should be having any other symptoms to comfirm?? Xx

Replies

• jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    cata2222 wrote: »
    Heyy its been a week since i started my keto journey and i have been eating less than 20g of carbs a day but im not sure if i have already enered ketosis... i felt dizzy for some days and im no longer hungry but i dont have that fruity taste in my mouth i had when i first tried the diet... i lost 7 pounds but i think it just may be water weight! Do you know if i should be having any other symptoms to comfirm?? Xx
    Maybe get the Ketostix and measure your urine. I’m not in ketosis yet but my fault, still too many carbs, but I feel great.

• jacqui2494
    Options
    I just spent a long weekend away and I managed to stay with low carb if not in keto. It wasn’t hard at all. I mean, cheese , salami, that’s my kind of snack ;)
  • sallyann8
    sallyann8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well done! my hardest was going for lunch with a friend, she'd booked ahead, it was a small cafe, special was lasagna, or paganinis, toasties or baked potatoes, I chose a bowl of tomato soup without the bread as it was the only thing I felt I could eat!! Strange thing was I didn't actually fancy her cheese toastie, just wished there was salad or meat on the menu!! :|
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    jacqui2494 wrote: »
    I just spent a long weekend away and I managed to stay with low carb if not in keto. It wasn’t hard at all. I mean, cheese , salami, that’s my kind of snack ;)

Same here! I just came back from a 3-day trip and it was hard! I ate no carbs but we had a special dinner reservation at the fancy restaurant and I had to call ahead to notify them about no grains, no pasta, no sugar. I felt uncomfortable because I made so much fuss about it, but now I am back home and just tested my urine and still in KETO! So stocked! Worth it :)
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have not tested yet...I am interested to see though.
  • sallyann8
    Options
    Finally got my ketostix, they've taken just over 2 weeks to arrive, tested my urine and I'm in moderate ketosis which I think is good, now will I get 'large' or will it stop showing in my urine...will see. :/
  • WenCruz415
    WenCruz415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are in moderate keto after just a week or two that is great! I stopped using the stix, eventually you just KNOW when you are in keto. Once you get familiar with how your body responds to keto, then you'll know what signs to look for that indicate your keto level. It will stop showing large presence in urine after a while but hopefully by then you will know or you can get the blood testing strips.
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WenCruz415 wrote: »
    Great job! You are in moderate keto after just a week or two that is great! I stopped using the stix, eventually you just KNOW when you are in keto. Once you get familiar with how your body responds to keto, then you'll know what signs to look for that indicate your keto level. It will stop showing large presence in urine after a while but hopefully by then you will know or you can get the blood testing strips.

@WenCruz415 i did not know that ketons will stop showing large presence in urine after a while. I have been using ketostix for 3 months and so far it works. How long do you have to be in keto for that?
  • ksuhh
    ksuhh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, help me please, what indicators in urine symbolize you are in keto: 1,5 - 4 - 8 - 16 mmol/l?
  • WenCruz415
    Options
    anelyaG wrote: »

@WenCruz415 i did not know that ketons will stop showing large presence in urine after a while. I have been using ketostix for 3 months and so far it works. How long do you have to be in keto for that?

Yes after a while, the spillover of ketones doesn't show as much because your body utilizes the ketones more! So what used to be a consistent "Moderate/High" ketone read is now "Low/Moderate" result on the stick but I know when I am in ketosis. I am on day 81 today.Took me some time to figure out my body and know when I am and am not in keto. I have the blood meter test but it always confirms what I already know, and often times when reads are high on blood test they are low on the strips. This happened starting about 2/3 weeks ago.
  • sexysexy2
    sexysexy2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Lorraine and I do intermittent fasting 5 days a week from 7pm to 1pm the following day because I exercise in the mornings and scientists have proven that if you exercise on an empty stomach your body uses your fat stores to get the energy for the exercise you use. I have been doing keto for nearly 8 weeks but I am struggling as I have not had any weight loss but I have lost 10.5" (due to exercise I think). I exercise 5 days a week. I love the keto lifestyle but with 42lbs to lose I would like to see the scale move..... being in the Uk I count total carbs and my % are 5% carbs 65% fat 30% protein. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG as everyone else is losing pounds and pounds ...... oh and I use urine sticks which have only ever shown "trace"
  • sallyann8
    Options
    anelyaG wrote: »

Yes after a while, the spillover of ketones doesn't show as much because your body utilizes the ketones more! So what used to be a consistent "Moderate/High" ketone read is now "Low/Moderate" result on the stick but I know when I am in ketosis. I am on day 81 today.Took me some time to figure out my body and know when I am and am not in keto. I have the blood meter test but it always confirms what I already know, and often times when reads are high on blood test they are low on the strips. This happened starting about 2/3 weeks ago.

How do you know when you're in ketosis, more energy, less hunger?
  • WenCruz415
    Options

How do you know when you're in ketosis, more energy, less hunger?[/quote]

Yes exactly, I can tell by high consistent energy levels, really clear head and ability to focus, very low hunger, urinating more often and the scale is continually showing a downward moving progress (sometimes goes up THEN down) but as long as I have the combination of these things I can tell I am in keto for the most part. Sometimes there are variables like when my monthly visitor is around then harder for me to tell.

• jacqui2494
    Options
    Well my Ketostix finally show a mild ketosis. Yay! I got serious about reducing the carbs in the last few days. Cheese and almond butter are my addiction. Believe me, they go well together. I also did a 1.5 hour bike ride and some heavy gardening work. I don’t feel the increased energy yet. In fact, the bike ride was hard going.
    I have a question for you all. I’m doing another 50kms bike ride on Sunday with friends. Should I eat some carbs for instant energy or do I trust the process and see if I can do the ride on fat? I just don’t think I’m fat adapted yet. Don’t want to feel lethargic on the ride. Advice would be appreciated.