Keto and Lunchmeat

Options
Cylie5
Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
Hello everyone!
I was curious if anyone doing keto eat lunchmeat at all and what your thoughts are on pros/cons would be.

My husband are in week 2 and its okay. Were using it more of a guideline to follow to just cut out sugar and carbs so I'm trying to find different things for breakfasts, lunches, snacks etc.

Also suggestions on lunches or snacks are welcome :) Right now my snacks are hardboiled eggs, cheese, or slim jims.

Replies

• YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We eat it. It's nice and convenient. We try to find the lowest sugar/carb kinds. We have always loved lunchmeat sandwiches so that is a tough adjustment.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey and chicken breast and have no issues fitting it into my macros. I can't say if it makes a difference, but I typically buy the stuff from the counter rather than the prepackaged stuff.

I've also made my own from frozen whole turkey breast. It's so much better tasting than processed lunchmeat.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I eat it sometimes....i'll make cheese and meat rollups with pickle in the middle. Although, I'm not a poster-child for conformity :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I ate lunchmeat when I was keto. I'm just low-carb now and still eat lunchmeat. Never a whole pack at a time or anything, but I dice the lowest carb ham I can find on my salad almost daily. On camping trips, I roll lunchmeat and cheese up together for lunches.

Nothing wrong with lunchmeat, IMO.
    Others will disagree. To each their own.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lunchmeat. I always cook extra meat at dinner time so I have something the next day. My snacks include olives, cherry tomatoes, pork rinds, laughing cow cheese, gherkins, nuts, beef jerky or biltong, can of tuna, eggs or avocado.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Salami is another food that fits well as a snack in a keto plan. The presliced packages make it easy to track calories and macros. Regular versions if they fit your plan - low fat versions available if you need lower calories. I buy Gallo brand in the western US.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Pepperoni is my favourite snack. And I love bacon. I have processed meats a few times a week; sometimes every day.
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch meat all the time! If you get ham make sure to get smoked instead of honey (less sugar)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat it. Ham and the mystery meat aka bologna. Love bologna. :) Also like pastrami and deli corned beef. And deli roast beef but I usually make enough roast beef (pot roast) for leftovers.

Lettuce wraps are a frequent lunch.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I get nitrate free smoked ham and turkey. It makes for a nice quick lunch with string cheese and pickles.
  • Cylie5
    Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate the input. I've noticed that while most are low in carbs make up for a high calorie intake so it'll definitely take additional planning on my part. Good to know that its not completely off the table though!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I get nitrate free smoked ham and turkey. It makes for a nice quick lunch with string cheese and pickles.

Yeah definitely try to get the nitrite free lunch meats or eat the others pretty sparingly, your colon will thank you for it.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Xerogs wrote: »

Yeah definitely try to get the nitrite free lunch meats or eat the others pretty sparingly, your colon will thank you for it.

I think nitrate free is nice, but some nitrates is not a big problem for people.

Now if all the meat you eat is very processed and loaded with nitrates, that is less than ideal than the whole cuts, IMO.... but it beats out the other foods my kids want to snack on like crackers or cereal. :D
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Added sodium nitrate makes one of my kids vomit. Nitrates found in celery juice do not. So I buy nitrate free.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Added sodium nitrate makes one of my kids vomit. Nitrates found in celery juice do not. So I buy nitrate free.

Vomiting? Wow. I'd never heard of that before. Now THAT must have been a hard one to figure out!
    AnvilTime wrote: »
    Actually, the meats still have nitrite/nitrates in them. The manufacturer stated no added nitrites/nitrates, but if you look at the ingredient list, you'll see celery juice, or another green vegetable juice, that has been used. Why do they use these juices? Well, because they are naturally high in nitrites and/or nitrates depending upon the vegetable itself. A big bowl of most green veggies will contain quite a bit of nitrite/nitrates.

Also, ALL commercially made bacon will be NITRATE free, because the FDA doesn't permit nitrates in bacon, only nitrite.

Thanks. :) So true.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just avoid lunch meat that has added sugars, like honey glazed anything. I don’t eat it that often, though. I usually have leftover chicken breast around or make a turkey burger if i have time.
  • miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Salami and cheese is one of my go to snacks. And I like ham with my eggs. If you read labels, you can definitely find some that are better than others. Every body reacts differently, though, so you have to see if it works for you. I can’t imagine it’s any worse than commercially prepared jerky, though.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I love mortadella (aka, fancy Italian bologna). It's not a very good source of protein, though. Nice for a snack, not a meal. I just made a cheese spread to make rollups. :)