reduced metformin

Options
2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
At my last dr.'s appointment, I had my metformin reduced from 1000mg twice a day to 1000mg once a day. I take the standard generic stuff - no name brand or ER. I have been on the reduced dose for three and a half weeks. Glucose levels have been slightly higher, but my 14 day average is 107 and my 30 day average is 106. MySugr is predicting an A1C of 5.2, and that seems a little lower than I might expect. I would be happy for my next one to be 5.2.

So far this is working...

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Congratulations. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    At my last dr.'s appointment, I had my metformin reduced from 1000mg twice a day to 1000mg once a day. I take the standard generic stuff - no name brand or ER. I have been on the reduced dose for three and a half weeks. Glucose levels have been slightly higher, but my 14 day average is 107 and my 30 day average is 106. MySugr is predicting an A1C of 5.2, and that seems a little lower than I might expect. I would be happy for my next one to be 5.2.

So far this is working...

Wow. Maybe you've got it licked (as long as you keep your carbs low and total intake under control, of course...).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor to leave me on metformin - I don't have gastric issues with it, and it's an appetite suppressant, so since I'm still trying to lose weight it's a plus for me.

Good to hear your levels are doing well with the reduced dose!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get the BG controlled without metformin and get off the BP med. The keto diet is one that I can stick with, and so far progress has been good. To celebrate, I bought three new clergy shirts. Neck size is down 1.5 inches...

One of these days I will tell my doctor about the diet.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Less meds are my goal also, I'm on metformin 1000 twice a day and it doesn't always agree with me. I lowered my dose for 2 weeks and my numbers would not go lower then 130 am fasting.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin for 25 YEARS had lots of diarrhoea , endocrinologist took me off this medicine ( 1000 a day) and I noticed improved bowel movements Did not affect my BG ! Also taken off B12 injections, metformin can cause B12 to be excreted! I have had yeARS OF incorrect diabetic advice!
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Very good! I am hoping to reduce my dose at my next visit as well.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    after 25 years I was taken off metformin because it caused loss of B12 and low ferritin and I had lots of diarrhoea I noticed no difference in my blood sugar Since then I have learned that there are other vitamin losses through metformin I now have no diarrhoea or stomach upsets1