HELP!!! I'M CONFUSED

Magalisteph
Magalisteph Posts: 5 Member
HI! I started doing keto about a month ago but I'm not losing weight.
Before I started I had already lost about 3 kilos, then the first week after starting I lost 2 kilos but then everything changed the 2nd week, I gained 1.5 kg back and I thought it was no big deal at first but then came the 3rd week and again i gained half a kilo so now I'm worried... what am I doing wrong? I eat as much fat as I can and as low carb as possible, I only eat twice a day, no cheat meals and I fast for about 16 hours sometimes more. I try to exercise everyday as well.
I've been struggling with my weight for what seems like forever, even though I have always tried to eat as healthy as I can but I seem to never lose all I do is gain and I thought going keto would be great but now I'm wondering if I should just quit. :'(
please give me some advice on what to do.

Replies

• pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    If you don't mind can I ask you a couple of questions?
    What are your macros? Have you utilized a keto calculator to set your macros? Also are you measuring everything?

If you friend me you can see my diary and look at what I'm eating.
    These are my current macros:
    Carbohydrates 18 g 5 %
    Fat 117 g 75 %
    Protein 70 g 20 %
    I set these using the calculator on https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator. It's easy to use and will give a great starting point to see if your macros are where they need to be.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    You're overeating if you are gaining. Calories still have to be counted regardless of how low your carbs are. Measure your food, log everything.

Fasting is only an eating schedule. Your body doesn't care if you eat your daily calorie requirements in one hour, or spread out over 10 hours a day. It can be a helpful tool to not overeat if you prefer one large satisfying meal vs several small meals leaving you wanting to graze throughout the day.

I would take a look at the daily calories you are consuming to start with. I've seen plenty claims that you can "eat all you want" and advise to not count while you get "used" to the diet, but it's simply not true.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2018
    You said “I’m eating as much fat as possible”
    That’s completely unnecessary and most likely why you aren’t losing.

You do not need to add fat to already high fat foods.
    Just meat and whatever veggies you like and a little cheese and dairy if you tolerate it.
    Meat already has fat assuming you don’t just eat chicken breast and tuna
    6u3dy5595q0u.jpeg
  • oldkmom
    oldkmom Posts: 5 Member
    I suggest you read up on Ketogenic WOE--anything by Dr. Fung is good!! Some posts here are giving you misinformation (and some is good!!!)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    You're overeating if you are gaining. Calories still have to be counted regardless of how low your carbs are. Measure your food, log everything.

Fasting is only an eating schedule. Your body doesn't care if you eat your daily calorie requirements in one hour, or spread out over 10 hours a day. It can be a helpful tool to not overeat if you prefer one large satisfying meal vs several small meals leaving you wanting to graze throughout the day.

I would take a look at the daily calories you are consuming to start with. I've seen plenty claims that you can "eat all you want" and advise to not count while you get "used" to the diet, but it's simply not true.

Concur.

• Magalisteph
    pendennis wrote: »
    If you don't mind can I ask you a couple of questions?
    What are your macros? Have you utilized a keto calculator to set your macros? Also are you measuring everything?

If you friend me you can see my diary and look at what I'm eating.
    These are my current macros:
    Carbohydrates 18 g 5 %
    Fat 117 g 75 %
    Protein 70 g 20 %
    I set these using the calculator on https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator. It's easy to use and will give a great starting point to see if your macros are where they need to be.

Yea I used a keto calculator, my macros are carbs 10%
    Fat 70%
    Protein 20%
    Yes I'm measuring everything
    How do I add you? I don't know how to do that!
  • Magalisteph

Hi! I'm logging everything before I eat it and I'm not over eating, I'm actually having a hard time reaching my daily calories of 1200 most days I'm under that and I don't eat back the calories I get from exercise
  • Magalisteph

Just meat and whatever veggies you like and a little cheese and dairy if you tolerate it.
    6u3dy5595q0u.jpeg

The fat I'm eating is from meat, I'm not adding unnecessary fat especially since I'm afraid of over doing it, but I seam to be eating more protein than fat.... I do eat a little cheese every now and then.
    No I'm not eating just chicken breast and tuna!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member

6u3dy5595q0u.jpeg

The fat I'm eating is from meat, I'm not adding unnecessary fat especially since I'm afraid of over doing it, but I seam to be eating more protein than fat.... I do eat a little cheese every now and then.
    No I'm not eating just chicken breast and tuna!

More protein than fat makes sense for a fat loss keto diet. Remember that it’s by calories. Not grams when people say more fat than protein. It’s calories. But lots of people have confused that to mean more fat grams. That’s not correct.
    Fat grams should be lower than or equal to protein. That still makes fat calories higher though.

j3txcddonupw.jpeg
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member

Hi! I'm logging everything before I eat it and I'm not over eating, I'm actually having a hard time reaching my daily calories of 1200 most days I'm under that and I don't eat back the calories I get from exercise

How are you measuring the amounts of food you are logging? Labels? Weighing? Measuring cups?

Are you logging beverages as well?

Not nitpicking, but it does make a difference with accuracy ;)
  • Magalisteph

How are you measuring the amounts of food you are logging? Labels? Weighing? Measuring cups?

Are you logging beverages as well?

Not nitpicking, but it does make a difference with accuracy ;)

I used to use measuring cups but now I started weighing it with a kitchen scale.
    I stopped drinking anything that is not green tea, oolong tea or water I don't add anything to them and they are 0 calories
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Aside from all the great advice in this thread maybe you just need to give your body some time to adjust. Three weeks into a weight loss journey is a pretty short amount of time if you think about it. I've found the more I stress about things in my life the more apt I am to stall or even gain. Accept that the scale will fluctuate and just be concerned with the overall trend over time and prepare yourself for things to stall because it just happens from time to time. You might gain two pounds one week but lose five pounds over the next couple of weeks other weeks you might not see the scale budge and then one week you start dropping weight again. I try weigh myself maybe once or twice a week right when I get up in the morning and not take stock in my weight outside of that time frame since it will definitely bounce around throughout the day. Other things I've found that stall my weight loss journey are artificial sweeteners, low carb tortillas, large servings of peanuts, and adding more fat than I need. I've also found that not eating enough calories can have a negative affect on my weight loss. A mind/body approach works for me so I meditate 20 minutes a day (https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/).

Be present in the moment, be happy that you are willing to make a change in your life. Think about the things you didn't like before this change and what positive things you like now and how those changes will affect your future. You can't do anything about the past except learn from it and use that knowledge to help guide your future.

Good luck :smile: