"Disability" and keto/low carb buddies?

Options
sweetteadrinker2
sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
I've got a few different autoimmune and genetic issues. I'm curious if anyone else in the group has EDS, dysautonomia, or other conditions that cause the need for a wheelchair or make exercise impossible somedays. I'd like to be friends :smile: Unfortunately it took my medical team a long time to find what was wrong, and my medications have caused lots of weight gain, as well as stress eating all the chinese food. Back on the wagon now though.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I am not in a wheelchair but I have RA, a Chiari malformation, and a form of dysautonomia. I have not been diagnosed with EDS but it often accompanies Chiari, I do have some joints that are hypermobile but not enough to be considered as EDS. You are welcome to friend me. I do have intermittent issues with exercise. Each time I embark on a serious program I sidelined by RA flares, tendonitis, stress fractures, or just overwhelming fatigue.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have ME - which is basically a physiological intolerance to exertion - so all my weight loss has to be on dietary restriction. I can walk slowly to get about now, but for a few years I needed wheels.

Anyway, I was "fortunate" when I first became ill with ME that I rapidly lost about 25lbs taking me to my ideal weight. However over the six years since then, I've gradually re-gained those lbs. In truth I probably only want to loose 20lb this time (family didn't like me looking "gaunt" LOL).

So I lost some weight a few years ago using calorie restriction alone, this time I'm hoping to go more LCHF. Low sugar isn't too tough for me (although I like a little fruit) but I sure find it hard not to eat potatoes - yup I'm from Ireland!

So any tips?

I read lately that some of our sugar cravings can be led by salt depletion, so I'm now happily shaking salt on my meals. Yum.
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have RA and Crohn's disease and a congenital hip defect. I definitely have days where I use a walker. And I use a cane alot. I kept hearing that keto is an anti inflammatory diet that would help with my immune problems but I still manage to have flares on it. Swimming and pilates is the only exercise I do. I have 2 small kids so if I can walk I do. Unfortunately going to the zoo often means I am in bed all the next day. You can friend me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've got a few different autoimmune and genetic issues. I'm curious if anyone else in the group has EDS, dysautonomia, or other conditions that cause the need for a wheelchair or make exercise impossible somedays. I'd like to be friends :smile: Unfortunately it took my medical team a long time to find what was wrong, and my medications have caused lots of weight gain, as well as stress eating all the chinese food. Back on the wagon now though.

@sweetteadrinker2 I deal with autoimmune issues. Ankylosing Spondylitis is no fun but the damage from years of taking Rx meds about killed me in one way or another.

Since Keto/LCHF I have ditched the power chair for theme park, etc usage. I have some walking canes but do not know where they are at any longer.

No Rx meds plus this WOE for going on 4 years is helping my health to recover so at 67 it is better than 30 years ago.

Currently I am working to try and remove calcium from my arteries, muscles, tendons and ligaments into my bones and teeth or out of the body.

At 63 the kids then 16 were having to help me in and out of cars, get dressed, etc.

This last weekend by myself I picked up and hauled a 3600 Ford tractor and pulled it for a total of 350 loaded miles with a pick up truck on pig paths and interstates without any down time being required this week unlike in the pass.

While I am excited about restoring the 1980 tractor for my use the ability to go get, restore and use it would not have been possible 4 years ago due just to the pain and feeling like death warmed over all of the time.

We are all different but I think in time most anyone able to log into MFP can figure a better Way Of Eating for themselves and just by sticking with that WOE with perhaps some future modifications may see continued health improvements.

In my case trying to avoid a new dangerous Rx med on a hunch I cut out all food containing added sugars and any form of any grain. Pain started dropping like a rock in just 30 days so I did not need to start on the Enbrel injection.

Today I am now fine tuning Magnesium and Vitamin D3 and K2 (MK-2 and MK-7) usage as noted above.

Due to my age and low state of health four years ago I know this is going to be a long haul for me but it is working in awesome ways already.

Failure is falling and failing to get back up in my view. Actually it has been over 3 years since I have physically fallen which is a record for me.

Best of success.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting "back on the wagon". I have a neurological movement disorder but it is not disabling and frankly more embarrassing than anything. I'm a bobble head unless I accept my head being turned right and accept groping for things to my left usually to have them end up crashing to the floor. I knock things over and walk into walls. :/ I walk half sideways so I can see things in front of me and have had embarrassing things happen like a store manager place his arm across me as we were walking to the back of the store "because I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking" and he didn't want me to knock over a display. :/ A day of Spasmodic Torticollis aka Cervical Dystonia. Mine doesn't cause much pain though I do have times I feel like someone is trying to twist my head off my neck due to the muscle overactivity.

It didn't hinder weigh loss. I'll walk for exercise/activity and have to stick to our city sidewalks which are much better maintained than neighborhood sidewalks. I'll do aerobics with the screen to my right rather than in front of me. Most comfortable is my stationary recumbent but that is mighty boring. CD/ST is purely neurological with a few overactive muscles resulting peculiar postures being the primary symptom. Nothing else.

My Dad was a paraplegic his last 20 years of life. He'd usually gain a few pounds during the winter from inactivity but was able to shed it in the summer just by being engaged in things he could do outside and making a conscious effort to eat less. He fortunately didn't have any other disabling health issues so when the snow was gone he was outside gardening, woodworking, etc. from his wheelchair. No pain that he mentioned but I'm sure he probably had some major wear and tear on his shoulders from wheeling that chair around all the time. He had an electric chair but chose not to use it much to keep his upper body strength. I digress. He was a pretty cool guy.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

CD/ST is purely neurological with a few overactive muscles resulting peculiar postures being the primary symptom. Nothing else.

Too late to edit so I really want to ETA: "In my case". My CD/ST is not debilitating. I have continued to work and make adaptations for daily activities. I have met others with more severe cases and they have got be absolutely miserable all their awake hours. Mine is mild comparatively. I don't want to minimize the condition. It can be incredibly painful, frustrating, embarrassing and debilitating. I'm just very fortunate. It could be much worse.

• ccol4him
    ccol4him Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm not in a wheelchair, but occasionally I have to use a walker or am bedfast. I have minimal cerebral palsy, type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, primary lymphedema(mostly in the legs), osteoarthritis in the right knee, and irritable bowel disorder. Some days it is hard to exercise and sometimes if my IBS acts up, the only exercise I get is running to the bathroom :D . I have been trying to exercise 3 days a week and started at about 10 minutes at first then gradually built it up to 28-30 minutes. Sometimes I do HIIT on the treadmill, sometimes chair exercises or a peddling machine while sitting on a comfortable chair. Once in a while, I use the Wii for Zumba or other dance games. It's hard to find fitness videos or games that are modifiable. I turned 50 this year and it seems a little harder to lose weight; but I've always had weight problems(except when I was a baby). I no longer need my diabetes medicine since starting this WOE last fall, and it's not my first time on a low carb diet.
  • ccol4him
    ccol4him Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The bad thing about lymphedema is that I can lose 5 pounds, then a flare up will take it back. It's frustrating.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ccol4him wrote: »
    The bad thing about lymphedema is that I can lose 5 pounds, then a flare up will take it back. It's frustrating.

@ccol4him
    It sounds like in this case that inches will matter as much, or more, than the scale!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I am not in a wheel chair; but have a number of health issues and have been on long term disability for apx 15 years. Keto/low carb has helped me to lose weight and has reduced a lot of my pain caused by inflammation. Feel free to add me. Best wishes for you.