Easter Treat - what we learned

Options
janette130
janette130 Posts: 66 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
When my husband and I started keto 6 weeks ago we planned to have a keto friendly treat on Easter Sunday - to you know, reward ourselves!
Eating low carb and enjoying healthy fats has made us both feel terrific. No more sugar comas, no more headaches, no more hangries. We even introduced I.F. which has both made us feel great!!
Well... Easter Sunday came and not only did we eat our keto treat, we both ate two chocolate chips cookies - family secret recipe type (which are totally my weakness). About 2 hours later... we both were nauseated and sick to our stomach. As we laid in bed trying to sleep, both still feeling sick, we had a long conversation about what we had done - a planned sabotage!

What have we learned from this...
*cheating isn't worth it
*weren't missing much
*don't take ketoisis for granted (it's a wonderful thing)
*don't plan to sabotage yourself
*more committed
*we really like the way we feel when LCHF
*our reward is losing weight and feeling healthy!!!!!

Replies

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I’m with you on this one. I went to a buffet for Easter and stayed within my limits with meats and vegetables. Then I decided, what the heck, I should have a dessert cheat. SO not worth it! I felt sick the rest of the day and felt super guilty for breaking down. Every time my husband and I cheat, I wind up miserable. When will we learn??
  • janette130
    Options
    I feel super guilty too. Had a good workout this morning and doing IF to use up the reserves - I was knock out of ketosis :( not a surprise though. Even while I was eating the cookie I knew I'd be :(
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It's good to reflect and know what works and what doesn't! How nice that your partner is doing this with you!

I think it sometimes takes nibbling on something we shouldn't to remind ourselves why keto/low carb is right for us :lol: The temptations become much more tolerable and less frequent if you have those negative experiences, it becomes easier to stay away from those foods when we know, through first hand experience, that they make us feel crappy.
  • janette130
    Options
    So true River_Goddess. Thank you for your encouraging words!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I indulged, even more than you did, and I feel quite gross. I forgot how bad this felt.
  • janette130
    Options
    LOL before indulging yesterday, I was thinking to myself. "okay after Easter, I'll go off keto for my birthday in June". I'm thinking not!
  • janette130
    Options
    SUPER 2t9bty! That's a win! Lessons learned for me. In time, I hope I can become more committed as I see more rewards. We are such a sugar-filled society. Aisle and Aisles of it at the grocery store!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    janette130 wrote: »
    SUPER 2t9bty! That's a win! Lessons learned for me. In time, I hope I can become more committed as I see more rewards. We are such a sugar-filled society. Aisle and Aisles of it at the grocery store!

I am a T2 diabetic and am controlling my glucose levels with diet only, so a cheat is not just a setback with ketosis or weight loss. My glucose levels go wonky too, and I get that feedback in addition to feeling bad.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

I am a T2 diabetic and am controlling my glucose levels with diet only, so a cheat is not just a setback with ketosis or weight loss. My glucose levels go wonky too, and I get that feedback in addition to feeling bad.

Yeah... my BG is going to take a few days to get back to normal. :(
  • janette130
    Options
    2t9nty: My husband is also T2 and his sugar levels have been so great on this life style change. Good things to come!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    2t9nty: My husband is also T2 and his sugar levels have been so great on this life style change. Good things to come!

My doctor took me off my diabetes meds at my last appointment. I get a blood draw this week to see what my A1C is without them. The keto diet has been really good for my T2 diabetes, but I will see if it is good enough at this point.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

My doctor took me off my diabetes meds at my last appointment. I get a blood draw this week to see what my A1C is without them. The keto diet has been really good for my T2 diabetes, but I will see if it is good enough at this point.

Good luck!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a weekend off after each month, and I'm just back from the most recent one. Each time I get all that indigestion and bloating and the food is never as good as I thought it would be and I start to feel all out-of-control and binge-y and I don't like it...

...but then I do another month straight of keto and I start thinking it'll totally be different this time and I should just eat the cookie. :)

I think, in other words, that it can be good to experience that let-down from time to time, because otherwise it's easy to re-shape it in your mind. Sometimes we have to check in with what we're "missing out on" in order to remember that we don't really miss it that much. As long as it's not too often and doesn't become a creeping habit, it can just be a part of the process, right?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I talked myself into bad snackies (large bag of S&V kettle chips) while I was on patrol this weekend. A mistake - one I know well by now, but it was an IDGAF sort of night. Ahhh well, hop back on. Unfortunately, I don't get very ill when I go off plan. Sometimes I think it would be easier to not stray if I did feel that horrible. I NEVER cheat on my Celiac diet, I should be able to do this better too.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't get very ill when I go off plan. Sometimes I think it would be easier to not stray if I did feel that horrible. I NEVER cheat on my Celiac diet, I should be able to do this better too.

Yes! Totally like the Celiac thing. It just wouldn't be worth it for you to eat something with gluten, almost ever! I really do think it's a benefit to have negative consequences after going off plan. For me, besides the crazy water gains, if I eat off plan I swell up with inflammation and feel sore for a couple days. I feel moon faced within minutes of eating sugar or grains. So it's really not worth it to me to experience that discomfort. Where if there were no negative effects of eating those things, I may be more easily tempted off plan on a more regular basis.

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I ate all the bad things I could. I feel terrible and regret it. I dunno why I do it as it makes me feel awful every time! When will I learn.......
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I was very good, then I inhaled a white chocolate rabbit, almost swallowed that thing whole! Next morning a pound down...........I am now eating a white chocolate rabbit every day!

@ironmaidenchick what matters is that you return to plan, not that you fall off occasionally.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Good luck!

Thanks! I will report the results - good or bad. I have lost a few more pounds which is going to help. Meter predicts a 5.9 or 6. The doctor convinced me that as long as I was sticking to the diet and was getting predictable results on the meter, I should check less often. I have been doing that, but I still have the averages it keeps. Every now and then I do a "reality check" reading to make sure it is about what I expect. It has been predictable.
  • heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I have a lot more indigestion and heartburn when I have bread or sugar, even if I stay within my calorie limits. I've never been diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity or anything like that, but I just plain feel better when I stick to the plan...