HELLo heathens

IceQueenThaws
IceQueenThaws Posts: 27 Member
Hi, It doesn't appear this group is that active but I'd love to help change that. I have over 100 pounds to lose and would love the support of fellow humanists!

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Always happy to support those that have no need to invoke and/or thank something.
    Welcome - yes we are not the most active group around, but I have to admit that to me it makes me feel that there is a safe place when I see somebody on the forums going off on a deity tangent again :-)
  • IceQueenThaws
    This is funny; I have gotten most people at work trained to ignore when I sneeze and if someone does bless me I just say excuse me (as in excuse me for sneezing); I don't say thank you. I also say nothing when someone else sneezes and when questioned I mention I also say nothing when they fart so basically anything coming out of any orifice is going to be ignored by me. That's enough to stop the conversation! :-)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I just ignore the "bless you" when I sneeze. I'm pretty sure everyone (or nearly everyone) knows I'm atheist, though.
  • IceQueenThaws
    Where I live it's 99.9999% Christian and of those it's 90% Catholic so it's not easy being rationale!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I still say "Bless you" when people sneeze, even though I am an atheist. It's just a polite thing to do.
  • dutchandkiwi
    We say 'health' in Dutch when sneezing To my mind better
    I am with IceQueen that I don't like those innocent references either.
  • IceQueenThaws
    I love saying 'health'; I wish we could do that in the States! Yep, nothing innocent in the 'bless you' as it perpetuates nonsense (and in the States I'm pretty sure most 'merika type thinkers actually think they have a demon causing them to sneeze)!
  • dutchandkiwi
    I wonder why it anoys me really I don't have the same respons with christmas at all. But maybe that is because to me christmas is (akin to the indian festival of light) marking the change of seasons and start of lengthening of daytime. Plus because I know that the festival is pagan dressed as christian and they made it fit the religion vs reality.
    And apart form anythign it is time for family and joy regardless