Check in

Options

Replies

• jules81
    jules81 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok I've been so lost. My depression and anxiety are awful. I weighed back in at 320 lbs this morning sigh. I need some motivation. My aim today is to stick to 1670 cals. Simple ( i say!)

I've had 125 cals so far and got soup for lunch.

I CAN do this - We ALL can xxx
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey hope everyone has been doing well. I was cut off for a few weeks doing research for my job, but I was thinking of you guys and hoping you were doing well. I had a hard time because I was on the road and always do better at home when I have my routine. But I am back home and back online, and have already been to the store to get my healthy staples back in the house. Will be spending the day hauling wood from a big storm so my exercise is covered! Hope everyone has a great week!
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @jules81 I am so sorry you are feeling defeated. Take baby steps. Pick one thing. Just one bad habit and concentrate on that. Taking on too much too fast can be hard. Remember that starving yourself will not help. This is a learning process, and your body has to learn to crave the good things and not need the bad. I still have bad days too, trust me, but they are few and far between. Don't beat yourself up when you give into temptation. But seriously, just pick one thing today. Whether it's reducing soda from 3 to 2 (or whatever you usually drink) or adding 2 cups of water today, adding 500 more steps than yesterday. Start small. Good luck, and let me know how you are doing!
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    @CheezWhiz88 glad you're back to the routine and glad the storm gave you some wood. Have a good day and nice to see you back!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    @jules81 so sorry you're having a tough season. Remember, you are doing just fine! It's hard enough to deal with anxiety and depression, so don't add diet changes to an already hard list! Gently, gently, hold your own hand and remember that it is just food. Take care of yourself and do the best you can. When you feel better, you do better. So when you do feel better, think about how you can support yourself when you are having a rough time, how to be prepared and how to start to tip your mood upward. But while you're in it, be gentle with yourself and just try to get out of the pit. After you're out you can do a lot better planning. So today is Monday, yesterday is done with, and all is well. Every night you put that day to bed and try again in the morning. Today is fresh and awesome. Have a great day :)
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone.

@Mellykay88 Such an amazing accomplishment in the 22's. Keep it up.

Right after Christmas I purchased two pairs of size 20 jeans and I never remember being in anything smaller than a 22. I also found a pair of Vera Wang size 20 white Chinos on clearance for $5 and they were really tight. But I thought pants are hard to come by in this journey so I purchased them and today I have them on and it feel awesome.

Right now my biggest 2 goals are to be at 299 (I am back down to 300 after TOM this morning). Also to hit 100 pounds lost which is 7 pounds away. I am back to being really strict about my diet and water intake. I have been kind of relaxed the last 4 months or so......kinda been just counting calories and that was it. Then with my accident really everything took a back seat. Now I am back to doing this. Pushing myself just like at the beginning of my journey.

What has been working for everyone recently?
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @CassieBinTC great job on rocking the pants!
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That’s an awesome accomplishment @CassieBinTC ! I’ve had months where I was less than focused for one reason or another, too. What’s important is that we come back!

I’ve been thinking a lot about my own weight loss journey today and I think that it is crucial that I don’t become complacent. If a day goes by and I don’t put some focus on my plan, whether it be reading forums on here, reflecting on progress, or whatever, I begin to lose focus and it becomes easier to let myself slip. My thoughts can make me or break me, and the latter is true when I lose focus. I’ve also realized through this that I am going to have to stay focused forever. I’m never going to be able to become complacent with this because I will end up right where I started and that is absolutely not an option. Anyway... just wanted to put those thoughts somewhere... I hope my rambling makes sense to someone :wink:
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @Mellykay88 you've really thought things trough and arrived at some good advice for yourself. What you said makes sense and I need to pay more attention to the things you brought out. Thanx
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox you sure have a lot of compassion and caring thoughts. What a kind post where you replied to @jules81 Thanks for being you.
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @Mellykay88 You have such an awesome attitude about it all it amazes me. I do agree that you have to put some time into it because that is exactly what works for me. Keep giving us your thoughts we will all take them.

I am still dealing with TOM and it has been kicking my butt. I am still fighting. I am hinging between 299-300 the last couple days. I feel like Mother Nature can play some cruel tricks on us. Last night I went for a nearly 4 mile walk after work as my daughter was with her father. I seem to be liking walking more these days over going to the gym. Knowing that my surgery should be scheduled for tomorrow is kind of a big thing that is making me second guess myself if I made the right decision.

So that is my check in. I hope everyone is doing well and keep up the great work!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    @CassieBinTC it's easy to second guess yourself but the good news is that you have done an amazing job! And you've recently had an accident so you have been doing better than great. Sometimes you feel confident in your decision and proud, and sometimes it might help to remember that you can always change your mind and nothing is set in stone. Whatever makes you feel better, but regardless of the surgery, you are doing so well! SO WELL!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    @Mellykay88 I've been thinking about the same things. It's a forever change that means you have to get passionate about it and stay passionate about it. Instagram, YouTube vlogs, books, apps, whatever works. It's an elaborate motivation factory. And @bmeadows380 started an interesting convo re diet breaks. I think it's a case of being able to get into a diet break for a controlled period of time and then back on plan with no pain. Because life has ups and downs, vacations, mono, promotions, etc. So, getting off should be expected as much as getting right back on after a break. I think for people who are in it for the long haul, you have to be a little easy about it and plan for times when you are at the state fair eating funnel cake and and questionable meats. It makes it much more doable for me.
  • CheezWhiz88
    Options
    Just checking in. I am starting some D.Tox plan that my husband found, starting tomorrow. Tonight, we are going to the store to pick up all the necessary staples. Apparently, they warn you that you feel horrible the first 4 days while your body rids itself of all the bad stuff, so we will see how it goes. Doing the 14 day program with my husband will definitely make it easier.
  • Mellykay88
    Options
    Hi guys! I promise I haven’t disappeared. New job has me busy (which is a very good thing) and my MFP app has been WONKY lately. My scale has been up the past few days and I’m contributing it to too much salt over Easter coupled with TOM. For some reason the TOM gain always takes me by suprise. I found my Fitbit (it was stuffed in a draw... sorry cats, I really thought you’d swiped it) and I’ve been trying to hit by step goal every day. Now that the weather is nice I’m walking with my mom in the evenings. Hopefully the scale will move back in the right direction in the next couple of days. I hope everyone is doing well!
  • Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am literally so close to my first goal of 300 lbs! And my size 18 jeans are starting to fit me again compared to size 24 I was wearing before :#
  • Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @Mellykay88 TOM always throws me off too!
  • CheezWhiz88
    Options
    Everyone kept talking about “TOM” and I had no idea what it was and have spent more time than I’d like to admit trying to decipher what it stands for (instead of just asking, naturally). I even tried asking my husband, who assured me it stood for “totally obedient moron.”

...I finally googled it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @CheezWhiz88 *laughs* TOM - Time Of the Month; a woman's monthly curse lol

TOM throws me off because it causes water weight gain in preparation for it. I'm hearing a lot in the refeeds threat about Lyle McDonald's new book for body composition for women. Women have a lot of fluctuations during the course of the month in their weight due to their cycles, which can mask weight loss efforts from day to day and even week to week, especially if you are trying to lose at a slow rate. Apparently, we will weigh our least right after TOM and our most right before. I've also seen documentation that indicates in the 1st 2 weeks after TOM, at the middle cycle where we ovulate, we will be at our strongest, so it was suggested those 2 weeks should be when a woman works on strength training.

The suggestion was that a woman might want to pay more attention to monthly trends rather than weekly - probably pick a date after your normal TOM ends and use that to track your trend.

I know in my own experience, the above holds true, and I always knew that a 1 to 3 lb gain right before TOM was to be expected, at the least, and then I'd usually see a woosh right after (such as last week's weigh in). I also know I feel more tired than usual in that week leading up to my TOM, and I'm usually hangry all the time lol
  • Mellykay88
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Thank you for the info! It’s very accurate for me as well! I consistently gain 3 lbs or so leading up to TOM and then lose it pretty quickly, plus what I would’ve gave lost. It’s frustrating because it kind of messes with my head. Losing weight has really affected my cycles too (in a good way) so, where before my periods were very inconsistent, they’re now a bit more predictable, but still wonky from time to time.

The scale finally moved for me this morning! I’m about 5 lbs away from being 50% to my goal weight... which is VERY exciting!

Since the weather has finally started to warm up here, I’m going for walks in lieu of the gym on weekends. Yesterday morning I walked 4.6 miles!! It was FABULOUS! I also walked a little over 2 miles with my mom yesterday afternoon. It was a good day and I’m not even sore today! Another fun surprise is that some of my size 22 pants are getting loose! I think those size 20’s are coming sooner than I anticipated.

I hope everyone is doing well! I had a pretty long talk with myself yesterday during my walk and reminded myself that I must remain in the present and take this one day and one moment at a time. I can’t change my past, so no use regretting decisions that got me to my heaviest weight or punishing myself. I also can’t skip ahead to the day I finally reach my goal, so I may as well enjoy the journey. On days that the number on the scale goes down, this is fairly easy. I just hope I can remember this on days when my progress slows.