Intermittent fasting

Options
KSJR78
KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
Id like to hear what everyone thinks about it , how you do it and what you think breaks your fast.

Replies

• janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I've started to do IF. Before keto I couldn't even go an hour after waking up in the morning before getting the shakes and that hangry feeling that goes up in your throat. Being almost 7 weeks into keto I can go from 4:30 pm to 11:00 am and once I did 1:30 pm and then I wasn't even hungry but felt like my blood sugar was dropping and got that foggy feeling - but no hunger.
    I have loved it and I do it everyday.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do daily-shortened-feeding-window style of IF, 16:8 ... 1p-9p is my window, and usually it starts later than that, sometimes it goes later too. I'll throw in a 24h fast now and then.

My version of fast is 'fasted state = no calories', so I'm okay with black coffee, diet sodas, etc.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    Im surprised by the difference of opinions on what breaks a fast. Some say anything with calories, others say anything sweet tasting, some say depends on macros involved.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    Im just starting, 16:8.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm an old hippie. I don't fast these days by concur with @kirkor. No calories. Period.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with a little half and half and coconut oil in the morning (~100 calories total) but don't eat food until 1:30-2:00. I'm done eating by 8 usually. I'm not strict about my eating window, but having 2 meals works best for me with keeping calories down.

I work out in the morning and while I'm fine to do it fasted, I have to do it caffeinated (45 minute drive to gym + 5 am gym start time), so I count my coffee as my preworkout. As the weather warms up I'd like to switch to iced coffee or tea which I'm fine to do without cream, so I may start a more authentic IF. It will be interesting to see the effect.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I was "taught" that anything that causes an insulin response breaks a fast.
    I do 18:6 (feed period, 10am - 4pm) and break my fast with beef bone broth and MCT oil, and sometimes bulletproof coffee, however, these items do not cause insulin spikes, so most folks consume them during their fast. I agree that it's based on personal goals. My goal is T2 diabetes "reversal," eliminating my insulin resistance without meds.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've been fasting for a long time now....can't really remember when I started. I usually follow at 16:8 IF schedule. Breaking my fast around noonish and wrapping up eating around 7pmish. I consume no calories (black coffee is ok) during my fasting windows.

I throw in a 24 hour fast about once a week. I travel a lot for work and that fast usually happens after I've had a day with higher calories or carbs than usual.

Exercise while fasting hasn't been an issue as long as I'm well salted. Lol. Im partial to trail running and some of my best runs have been while fasting honestly.

• catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 16 hours no food including at least 13 hours strictly water fasting (per Dr. Satchin Panda Circadian studies). I use Zero app for tracking and flexible schedule as to when I take lunch, so lunch is 16+ hours after end of dinner. My eating window is from about 1 pm to 9pm.

I'm still getting used to this, and often not sleeping very well. I need coffee, but I've been trying to push the "strictly water fasting" time until about 10:30am. I usually have bulletproof coffee with no sweeteners. This easily gets me through until 1pm lunch time without feeling hungry.
  • julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I go from around 6pm until around 11am. I find it easy and natural. I always drink my coffee black no sugar so I don't have a problem. Jason Fung, of IF fame, says you can have a teaspoon or two of milk or coconut oil in your coffee if you must. He also allows bone broth because it doesn't spike insulin.
  • kirkor
    Options
    KSJR78 wrote: »
    Im surprised by the difference of opinions on what breaks a fast. Some say anything with calories, others say anything sweet tasting, some say depends on macros involved.

Want to have your noodle really baked? There's one school of thought that even a "stomach stretch" signal = breaking a fast, i.e. drinking water!!!
  • KSJR78
    Options
    Wow!! I definately couldnt do that.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    What do you feel is the most beneficial result from IF?
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I do 18/6. ( I usually eat my first meal at noon.. second by 6) ... my body seems to love it... sometimes I have a morning treat of coffee with stevia and a splash of unsweetened almond milk and of course water :)
    Good luck!
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I rotate with 6:18 with a couple 24 hour fasts a week. I drink coffee and water. On 6:18 days I eat from 2-8. For the 24 hour fasts I cut from 6pm the night before and got to 6pm the next night
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 18:6 with my eating window at noon to 6pm. When fasting I have nothing but flavored water (like La Croix) and unsweet green tea. No artificial sweeteners of any kind, as Dr. Fung says they can cause an insulin response. I break my fast with a LCHF lunch. :)
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try IF but still don't know how to define when I'm breaking my fast. Is drinking water flavored with Mio considered breaking my fast if they have 0 calories and don't spike my sugars? I usually add lite salt too, to keep up my electrolytes, but that also has 0 calories. I could probably go all day just drinking Mio in my water and never get hungry :sweat_smile: But I just don't know enough about IF to try it. It kind of scares me, tbh.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The salt is definitely ok, but the sweetness in the mio may spike your blood sugar. Anything sweet can do it in some people. The only way to know for sure is to test your blood glucose. IF is sooo easy. Like Dr. Fung says you just don't eat. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIhhrYjVhOk
  • kirkor
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx Mio should be fine especially if your main purpose of IF is to maintain a caloric deficit. Keep in mind Dr. Fung's main patient base is diabetics and people with kidney disease, and so they are going to be more sensitive to blood sugar issues.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Interesting video clip @flitabout38. Thanks.