Intermittent fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So.... I just watched Dr. Fung's whole series on IF, and he says not to add water enhancers, which Mio is, but I'm such a Mio junkie that I don't think I can stop. >_< But I do have a LOT more info on IF now, so thanks guys for sharing things with me. :smile:
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Well, I did a fast of 6 days last month. No food just water. I was already keto adapted so I think for me it was easier because of it. But still, I don't think I will do it again. { I want to add that I am on no medications, and have no major medical issues. My daily work is farming so I exercise a lot. I would NOT recommend this for people who are ill or who are unable to walk a flat mile without losing their breath in 60 degree temperatures.}

But it was an interesting experience. I stopped feeling hungry unless I saw food. I was cold all the time. I was very much into ketosis cause my pee sticks were very dark. Everything seemed to go slower including me. I had to drink broth every day (while on low carb I only drink it every 2 or 3 days) to keep from being dehydrated even though I was drinking gallons of water.

That's one thing I feel Dr. Fung, and most fasting gurus, do NOT emphasize enough about straight water fasting. You have to watch your electrolytes and plain water ain't going to do that. You can see some people who record their fasting on VLOGS as they slowly become more and more dehydrated and suffer all the pain that comes with that. I scream at my screen, drink some broth or bullion or even ..gag..gator aide.

Anyway, I did lose a pound a day but it all came back when I went back on my low carb diet. But I have noticed those six pounds have again slipped away during these last 3 weeks. My hair which was gray has gotten more brown and my pierced ears have been trying to heal up. I also found that I had no arthritis pain after day 3. And if I stay away from artificial sweeteners, I have no arthritis pain now at all. The lose skin on my neck seemed to have tighten up some and though weight loss was nothing to write home about, my belly is now much smaller. But even 3 days after I ended my fast, I felt like I had run a marathon. My body felt exhausted and worn out. Now 3 weeks later I feel fine and energetic.

Anyway, I'm going to try fasting 2 days a week once a week now that all my easter guests have gone. I think intermittent fasting will be easier for me.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually do 16:8 daily except Sunday. It suits my lifestyle as I am not usually hungry on mormings till about 11am.

I usually have coffee with splash of milk (40 cals) and water in the morning. Sometimes hot lemon ginger tea if my mood feels like it. I was told not to use any sugars even artificial sugar since it will break your fast due to insulin spike.

On Sundays my family like to have breakfast together so I nibble a little something with them.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am working up to doing a week. My daughter is sort of going to do it with me. I am going to water fast and she is going vegan. So far I am up to 24 hrs pretty sad right? It's so hard with 5 kids and husband who are hungry all the time!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I feel Dr. Fung, and most fasting gurus, do NOT emphasize enough about straight water fasting. You have to watch your electrolytes and plain water ain't going to do that. You can see some people who record their fasting on VLOGS as they slowly become more and more dehydrated and suffer all the pain that comes with that. I scream at my screen, drink some broth or bullion or even ..gag..gator aide.

I've seen Fung mention broth a fair amount, but I also don't think he's having people do 6 days fasts either. I think the Snake Diet guy is kind of annoying, but do appreciate his emphasis on "snake juice" which is a DIY electrolyte beverage.
  • tommyveggie
    tommyveggie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I have coffee with a little half and half and coconut oil in the morning (~100 calories total) but don't eat food until 1:30-2:00. I'm done eating by 8 usually. I'm not strict about my eating window, but having 2 meals works best for me with keeping calories down.

I work out in the morning and while I'm fine to do it fasted, I have to do it caffeinated (45 minute drive to gym + 5 am gym start time), so I count my coffee as my preworkout. As the weather warms up I'd like to switch to iced coffee or tea which I'm fine to do without cream, so I may start a more authentic IF. It will be interesting to see the effect.

I have similar IF. No coconut oil just half and half. Really strict on my calorie count, workout routine, Mac portions but need more accountability reducing my 6 window. I break with late lunch ~2pm with protein shake and bar after workout.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm really only starting to look at IF, and for me, I'm doing a slow intro by skipping breakfast 2-3 times per week. Like others, I have decided to follow the idea that having some fats in my coffee (and therefore not causing an insulin reaction) will be sufficient for me. I figure there's no rush to take it any further quite yet, slow and steady is my motto at this point.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I started my first 24 hour water fast, and so far just a headache, so I think I need some salt. I'm trying to work my way up to regular ADF, but that's definitely down the road.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not a faster or even intermittant faster but I certainly don't eat/snack all day long as I often did before. I'm sometimes a breakfast skipper and sometimes eat only once a day based on hunger or schedule but it really isn't intentional for me and I always am drinking decaf with half and half...so not fasting.

I'm also not a "Fung Follower" but have read The Obesity Code and do listen to his videos. This one was recently posted on youtube. I find it very interesting and pertinent to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXGxoNFag4&amp;t=3066s
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've started a new job and having trouble figuring out my meals, etc., so I'm just trying to wait as long as I can to eat so I don't do a specific time frame and just eating mostly cheese with maybe some crackers (I know) and egg salad. Working close with someone makes me fear the breath and pretty much intense smell the keto foods I like have. Oops, more than you asked.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

I've seen Fung mention broth a fair amount, but I also don't think he's having people do 6 days fasts either. I think the Snake Diet guy is kind of annoying, but do appreciate his emphasis on "snake juice" which is a DIY electrolyte beverage.

Yes he does mention broth but not enough. If I had not been regularly drinking bone broth, I would have been seriously ill. I know the symptoms of dehydration and it ain't pretty. I just wish he would just mention it as a requirement to water fasting. I went right into ketosis and without the homemade broth it would have been rough.

He does mention his patients who come to him seriously obese with all sorts of metabolic problems. He said he puts them on water fasts and only encourages broth because it makes them feel better. That is a seriously dangerous way to look at your need for sodium and other nutrients to regulate your cardiovascular system.

Fung does encourage fasting - even longer water fasts. That's where I got the idea from his video tapes. He encourages everyone to do at least one longer water fast in their life and to do longer fast for your health. He said he fasts whenever he feels he's gaining weight and it maybe a longer than 3 days.