ketovangelist coaching?

Options
melluc2
melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
Has anyone here participated in the ketovangelist coaching? Did it help you get to your goals faster? Did they open your eyes in things you didn't think about before?

I want to try, but I don't have the money for every month. Is there a way to have 1 or 2 time consultations to pay?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I think you’d get better advice from the veteran members of this group for free than what you’d get from their paid coaching.

I found the forum here to be a lot of help. There is a certain amount of fumbling around as you get it all figured out for yourself. People here seem to understand it is not a "one size fits all."

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I just clicked through one of the coaches, and see that they want $150/month. I am not sure if that is typical, or if it varies. But, there are people on here who might be successful in the way you need. Finding one of them to be an accountability buddy would be a lot cheaper and they would be one on one working with you.

I guess it just depends on what you're seeking from a coach. Expert advice? You can post here, and you'll get it. One on one accountability for your goals? You'll find a friend here willing to talk with you every day, usually though PM.

It's similar for nutrition or fitness goals. We often have monthly challenges, which may align with your goals and are free to participate in.

Anyone is welcome to join challenges at any time, and they don't have to follow the theme either. If they just need an accountability place to follow their goals, it's perfect. We're doing "Active" right now, but anything goes IMO. Whatever is an improvement for you in any aspect.

• melluc2
    Options
    Thank you. It's true, I do get a lot of help here but sometimes it's a hit or miss. Depends on who sees my post.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What I found to be best was having a friend who would be there to check up on me and hold me accountable. Even though he is not on the same diet path I am on. We still talk several times a week (usually on FB) and even call each other when major events happen. If he doesn't hear from me pretty often, even just to see what is up, he will assume the worst and try to find out what is up.

Ask around on here. See who might be looking for an individual accountability friend. Get to know them, and find someone you trust. Or, find someone in your life who can fill that role.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @melluc2 would you feel comfortable allowing some info to be public or posting in this thread such as age, gender, amount left to goal, lifestyle habits that might affect your eating plan (ie. family to cook for, night shift worker, disease states?) That may help you find someone with whom you have more in common so that you can get more personalized help from others in a similar situation.
  • melluc2
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @melluc2 would you feel comfortable allowing some info to be public or posting in this thread such as age, gender, amount left to goal, lifestyle habits that might affect your eating plan (ie. family to cook for, night shift worker, disease states?) That may help you find someone with whom you have more in common so that you can get more personalized help from others in a similar situation.

Sure! I'll prob change my settings too. Friends can see my food diary.

Female, 30 yrs old, 146 pounds (because I keep gaining weight the past month regardless of what I do it seems). I would like to lose 10 to 15 pounds. I cook fo husband only, who is also keto.

calories are 1350,
    net carbs 30 (bc there's family history of thyroid issues and so I read below 30 grams of carbs can be too stressful on the thyroid in those cases...I can find links if ppl want to see). However, I do not have any thyroid issues. This is just a preemptive move.
    Fat: 98 grams
    Protein: 85 because I lift and run often, as well, I'm going through military training.

I'm at a 20 percent deficiency. I didn't put my calories below my BMR, even though it was suggested. BMR is about 1300 calories a day.

Inches were about the same, going up about a half an inch here and there. Haven't measured this week. Have a record of weight and measurements for the whole duration of my 1 yr journey, so I'm quite meticulous. I also record and weigh my food.

I know I was doing too many licks and nibbles and not eating all of my fat....but I've pretty much corrected that in the last 2 weeksish. With no change and still seeing weight increase.

When I'm working with the military it is hard to ensure I'm eating everything I need. But I avoid the obvious carbs and eat a lot of salads with ranch and meat. I bring healthy snacks from home if I feel like I need the extra fat boost.

If you need any more info just ask! I'm still tracking and hoping there will be a woosh soon. I doubt it's all muscle, but I'm also sure there's some muscle gained for sure. :)
  • melluc2
    Options
    Also should mention I'm 5'4. Haha
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am older than you, but other than that, we are super similar in size and I lost close to 10 lbs in 7 weeks doing keto "perfectly" at 1350 calories a day, 20 net carbs or less, working out 5-6 days a week (running, Orange Theory, cardio, weights, spin). No nibbles or anything, though--I track everything.

I think those nibbles are TOXIC--they add up. I got to this weight by nibbles and occasional cheats....I've always been a healthy eater.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Unlogged nibbles are the debil! An extra nut here and there. Lick the spoon. A few drops extra because the creamer carton is empty except for that... Some supplements have calories! :scream:

Give it 2-4 more weeks for sure. Water...OMFG! My cycle is so stupid. I gain water for my cycle, and I keep it for about 3 weeks, lose it, and then it's time again to gain it. ROAR! :rage:

I'm taking a 2-week maintenance break right now. I should have lost weight the last 6 weeks I've been busting it, but didn't. TYVM scale... :astonished: So I'm taking a break. Eat at maintenance. Chill. Rest my psyche. Then back to work.

Hang in there.
  • melluc2
    Options
    Le sigh. I'll try to hang in there. Can be so frustrating. Especially when family seem to go about it with minimal monitoring. But, I'm 2 weeks into carefully avoiding my nibbles and such. We'll see in another 2 weeks time.

Water weight is a big deal. Gained 2lbs last week over night because my period was coming. Hoping it'll go away soon but, like you said, sometimes it doesnt for a while. I also know being stressed can mess you up with cortisol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember, you do not (necessarily) need to eat "all your fats."

Carbs are a limit.

Protein is a minimum range depending on your age, weight, activities, etc. MINIMUM....

Fats are ONLY to satiety (when in weight loss mode).

Now, since you weigh less, you may be to use more fats for fuel - as you use up all of your stored body fat, but remember, your body burns stored body fat to provide the extra calories needed when you are eating at a calorie deficit. Since the deficit calories ONLY COME FROM BURNED STORED BODY FAT, please remember to take your calorie deficit ONLY FROM YOUR FAT CALORIES allotted... Your body can't burn fat and give you protein! Etc.

And make sure that even though you are eating at a deficit, you still aim for 100% of your recommended nutrients, NOT the 80% deficit... Stored body fat has no nutrients to provide to your body when it is burned.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    melluc2 wrote: »
    Le sigh. I'll try to hang in there. Can be so frustrating. Especially when family seem to go about it with minimal monitoring.

This is the story of my life--surrounding by people who are thin and they don't seem to put in any effort to get there. They eat healthy and are active, but they get to eat pizza and not think about how much they ate for lunch, and say yes to birthday cake for everyone's birthday. And I don't. So unfair. My husband's entire family is like that, and fortunately, our kids seem to have been blessed with their metabolism, so there's that. But I have spent SO much of my life looking at other people who seem to put in minimal effort into thinness, and they are all wearing a smaller size clothing than me. And I hate it.

But I have figured out that my body plays by its own rules, and I do not get to lick the spoon and stay a size 4. I don't get to have a glass of wine with dinner more than 2x a week. I can't have a big stack of pancakes for breakfast every Sunday and figure I'll "burn it off" by taking a dog for a walk. I truly have to watch every bite and I have to slay my workouts.

But over time I think good has come of this approach, not not just the "good" of being thin. I kind of like being a scrappy fighter who has to work it to own it. I take other physical blessings I have for granted--perfect vision, nice hair, nice skin...these are just mine. They probably feel that way about being thin without working for it. Anyway, just trying to say, I hear you!!!
  • melluc2
    Options
    It is important to eat a certain amount of my fats to prevent my body from breaking down my muscle for protein and to develop gallstones. However, after I think in my case, anything above 56 grams is just filler, like you said @KnitOrMiss .

@Running_and_Coffee it's good to know there are other people are in the same boat.

• canadjineh
    edited April 2018
    Options
    edit to add: Posted because we were also discussing the 'eating my own muscle' conundrum in this thread.

Just came across an interesting aside while reading up on the latest (MedScape) on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME for a friend.... I'll grab the partial quote, but warning - this could send us ladies down a rabbit hole concerning breakdown of proteins for use by the body....
    (apologies for the precise and possibly confusing sci-language, but it is a doctors' continuing ed. site)
    Effect Seen Primarily in Women

Dr Fluge and colleagues found different results between women and men. Compared with control patients, the 162 women with ME/CFS in the sample had significantly reduced levels of six specific amino acids (isoleucine, leucine, lysine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and tyrosine) that enter the oxidation pathway as acetyl-CoA, which fuels the TCA cycle directly and independently of PDH (P < .001 for isoleucine, leucine, phenylalanine, and tyrosine, and P = .001 and .009 for lysine and tryptophan, respectively). This finding suggests that the PDH enzyme is not functioning as it should, the authors suggest.

In contrast, the 38 men with ME/CFS had slight but insignificant reductions in serum tyrosine and phenylalanine compared with control patients, but also had significantly elevated concentrations of 3-methylhistidine, a marker of endogenous protein catabolism (P = .003 compared with healthy men). That difference was not seen in the women.

An explanation for this, Dr Fluge said, is that males use muscle tissue as a source of amino acids, whereas females, who have less muscle mass, preferentially use serum free amino acids as fuel.

Nevertheless, he added, "the PDH impairment seems to be the same in both sexes, with no gender difference in up-regulation of mRNA for the PDH inhibitors PDK1, PDK2, PDK4, and SIRT4 in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of the ME/CFS patients."

When I get the chance, I'll be checking around Google Scholar for more info on this, as it sounds like it could mean that males are more prone to breaking down their own muscle mass with low protein ingestion than females are.
    Or am I reading this wrong?
  • canadjineh
    Options
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26491425 Gender-specific pathway differences in the human serum metabolome.