April 9 Weekly Challenge: Spring Declutterfest!

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups

kjarh1jjcap9.jpeg

Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Spring Declutterfest!

It’s BAAACK! One of our most popular weekly challenges is back and I think just in time! Several rooms in my house are in serious need of cleaning and decluttering. I’m going to start with the upstairs bedroom. Right now, the task seems pretty daunting, but I’m ready to get started and I know I’m going to feel great after it’s done. Let’s all roll up our sleeves and take on that project that we’ve been meaning to get to. This is the week!

If you're wondering what decluttering, cleaning, and organizing have to do with better health, there are at least two interesting connections. When we're working on house projects like these, we're not sitting. We are up and moving around and this light to moderate activity has lots of health benefits. In addition, for many people, clutter is a source of stress, guilt, and can inhibit focus and productivity. Clutter becomes an array of visual cues of projects we haven't finished. The articles below go into greater detail as to how clutter affects our stress, productivity, brains, and indeed our lives. Not good. So this week.... let's bag, tag, recycle, and reorganize! We will feel great when we're done!

This Week's Challenge: Whether it's one project worked on over the week or lots of smaller projects, let's get these projects done. I'm looking forward to hearing what you accomplish this week. Post a picture of your finished project if you are so inclined!

Make it a great week!

...................................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Why Mess Causes Stress: 8 Reasons, 8 Remedies
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/high-octane-women/201203/why-mess-causes-stress-8-reasons-8-remedies

How Clutter Affects Your Brain (and What You Can Do About It)
http://lifehacker.com/how-clutter-affects-your-brain-and-what-you-can-do-abo-662647035

The Emotional Toll of Clutter
https://experiencelife.com/article/the-emotional-toll-of-clutter/

The Cost of Clutter: How Clutter Affects Your Time, Money, and Stress
https://www.verywell.com/the-cost-of-clutter-3144688

...................................................................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited April 2018
    Options

og4h6cznpj26.jpeg

And it’s Move It Monday! Post your Monday workout here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge

• themedalist
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Without going into too much detail I would encourage everyone to embrace this challenge.
    I used to be a tremendous hoarder until 6 years ago when I ended up living in a rented room following the breakdown of my marriage and the loss of my family home. I came to realise how all the things I had been hanging on to had done nothing to protect me from the harsh realities of life. In fact towards the end of my marriage the stuff I had kept had become links on the chain that was binding me to an unhappy and harmful situation. 'I can't go because I won't have room to take xxx with me' or 'I couldn't bear to be parted from xxx, my eldest son made it for me when he was 6' and so on. In the end I was lucky enough to be offered a garage to store some of my most treasured possessions, which I lovingly boxed up. Fast forward 2½ years and I had managed to get myself back on my feet and into my first home since the break-up. Filled with great excitement I transported my treasured possessions to my new home and started the process of unpacking them. Anticipation turned to bewilderment as I realised that, for the most part, the things that I had thought I couldn't do without, I had either forgotten about completely or had no part to play in my new life. Coursework from a degree I had taken 5 years previously and never looked at again, half finished cross stitch kits, glass paints, unfinished projects and gadgets that I had perceived as being really useful until I had to do without them. The list went on and on. Of my 'most treasured possessions' I probably kept about 3 things (apart from my books) the rest went to charity shops, was given away or was thrown away. The stuff that was really important I had kept with me all the time; that was the love and support from my children and friends. Everything else is really just dross.

Thank you for posting, @Jinantonix. You are so right — our possessions become links to our past and evoke good and bad emotions for us. Objects can become visual cues and triggers to events and people in our past.

And in our world of consumption it’s ridiculously easy to think we need more things in order to be happy. Your story is a good reminder that that’s rarely the case.

Thank you for sharing.
  • TKlepac
    TKlepac Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of big things I've been hanging on to for quite awhile, but they have started to show their wear. One of them is an antique vanity that my husband bought me when we first got married. It is an art deco piece empire style and came with a bed. I also have a captain's single bed that I bought when my grandson was first born. My house and bedrooms are small, so, I'm looking to replace that bed with something else.
  • themedalist
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    One of the things I've seen/heard on YouTube is to use second hand as a variation on storage. That if you need something for an occasion, e.g. a chainsaw, you can buy a used one, use it, and then resell it for the same amount. It doesn't take up space and you don't really spend anything in the end.

That’s a really interesting idea!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am enjoying reading your decluttering stories! And it’s great that many of you got started previously so that this week is a continuation of your earlier efforts. @texasgardnr, I can so relate to your garage story. Usually, that’s what triggers me to start decluttering. I can’t find something I’m looking for.

Last night I made my first attempt at decluttering the upstairs bedroom. I even made a decluttering playlist! My biggest challenge is I have some substantial constraints: my husband loves to go to secondhand shops and acquire the things that people have decluttered and discarded. Lovely. Fortunately, most of the things he’s picked up are confined to his office, which works well for me. But he’s also an avid book collector, and there are lots and lots of books strewn about in the bedroom I am trying to declutter. Hardback books I have no issue with, but there are lots of paperbacks that I’m not sure he will ever read again. But he can’t part with them either. Many of them are in plastic containers slid under the bed and dressers. Many years ago when our daughter became a toddler and moved out of the changing table phase, I emptied the contents of her changing table which also functioned as a bureau. And my husband immediately filled it with paperbacks. I drew the line and said, “Nope”.

I’m decluttering what and where I can. And accepting what I can’t change. He’s a wonderful guy and my decluttering doesn’t have to be his decluttering.

How appropriate. Today’s Daily Calm was on aversion and acceptance. Thank you to the Calm enthusiasts who recommended the app several weeks ago during, I think, our deep breathing challenge. I’ve used it daily since then and I love it.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    One of the things I've seen/heard on YouTube is to use second hand as a variation on storage. That if you need something for an occasion, e.g. a chainsaw, you can buy a used one, use it, and then resell it for the same amount. It doesn't take up space and you don't really spend anything in the end.

That’s a really interesting idea!

Agreed!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Without going into too much detail I would encourage everyone to embrace this challenge.
    I used to be a tremendous hoarder until 6 years ago when I ended up living in a rented room following the breakdown of my marriage and the loss of my family home. I came to realise how all the things I had been hanging on to had done nothing to protect me from the harsh realities of life. In fact towards the end of my marriage the stuff I had kept had become links on the chain that was binding me to an unhappy and harmful situation. 'I can't go because I won't have room to take xxx with me' or 'I couldn't bear to be parted from xxx, my eldest son made it for me when he was 6' and so on. In the end I was lucky enough to be offered a garage to store some of my most treasured possessions, which I lovingly boxed up. Fast forward 2½ years and I had managed to get myself back on my feet and into my first home since the break-up. Filled with great excitement I transported my treasured possessions to my new home and started the process of unpacking them. Anticipation turned to bewilderment as I realised that, for the most part, the things that I had thought I couldn't do without, I had either forgotten about completely or had no part to play in my new life. Coursework from a degree I had taken 5 years previously and never looked at again, half finished cross stitch kits, glass paints, unfinished projects and gadgets that I had perceived as being really useful until I had to do without them. The list went on and on. Of my 'most treasured possessions' I probably kept about 3 things (apart from my books) the rest went to charity shops, was given away or was thrown away. The stuff that was really important I had kept with me all the time; that was the love and support from my children and friends. Everything else is really just dross.

SO SO true! Decluttering is about SO much more than a tidier, better functioning home (but that is awesome too!) For me, it’s about having a future-orientation, not weighed down by the past. By giving away books I thought I “should read or finish someday” to the Library and only keeping the ones I truly LOVE, I could clearly see my interests and passions! Now, when I look at my bookshelves (I have two now), I see books I love & want to read or re-read. It makes me feel happy.

I have had the space to discover new interests & hobbies. I believe it has helped me to lose weight. We spent about 6 hours Marie Kondo-ing our kitchen Xmas 2015 & reduced eating out, as I was able to cook at home. We had been eating out almost all the time due to lack of time, wanting to relax, and as I realize now I had an addiction to the salt, sugar, fat. As of summer 2016, we only ate out 1-3 times a week. As of fall 2017, we stopped eating out altogether. Having a kitchen where you can find things easily makes all the difference!

The past is past. I so resonated with your message, @Jinantonix. Thank you SO much!!