How LONG have you been living a LC lifestyle?

Options
Just curious as I keep hearing people say, "Well how long is that REALLY sustainable?"

A coworker told me her mom hasn't had more than an occasional rare treat--on really extraordinary occasions, like a European vacation planned for years--since she did the Atkins diet in the 1990s. So she's still on the Atkins diet, pretty much.

There are so many horror stories of backsliding and then switching to something new--just wondering who has been able to keep it up as a true lifestyle change!

Replies

• Pack100
    Pack100 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Since September 2017, Never going back
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    6 years !
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Just since the first of this year, but reading how long others have done it makes me hopeful. This is the only stretch of my life when I haven’t binged, when I’ve felt like I could just be “normal” about food. The weight loss is awesome, but that’s the thing I don’t want to give up.

I can’t sustain it on my “cheat” weekends and I doubt I could sustain it trying to moderate carbs, either. Maybe a few years from now; maybe I’ll never get the hang of it. And that can be okay, because I can just do this instead, for as long as I need to.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It will be two years in August.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Since Nov 2013
  • NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    February of this year but I plan on eating this way for life!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Since June 2013 -- mostly lchf, under 50-80 gr carbs per day. Sometimes keto levels. I can't handle anything higher than that without hypoglycemia kicking in.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LC for just a few months. I love the weight loss and my sugar cravings have stopped.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1 year this month. I started off with less than 20grams a day, now it's at 30 grams a day. When I get to my goal weight I will increase to about 50 grams of carbs a day I believe. It truly is easy to follow and maintain as a lifestyle. I don't have crazy cravings or any desire for carby foods. I eat at a mess and I still manage to find ways to maintain this lifestyle.

I also make sure to choose fats that a doctor wouldn't say no too, haha. Like coconut oil, olive oil, plant fats from nuts and seeds. I try to mimic the Mediterranean/French diet as much as possible while keeping it keto...since people praise those diets as the best.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was making an attempt to go LCHF during Spring Break (March 2017) but really didn't get on board until after I had my workout routine down pat and school was over so it would have been the beginning of May 2017. This way of eating (WOE) works for me so I don't see going back to the Standard American Diet (SAD). I might have an oopsie meal now and then but they are getting far and few between. Once this semester is over I will starting working out more regularly and losing weight but LCHF has allowed me to maintain a decent weight in what would be times of the year where I would gain a great deal.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these answers--very motivating and inspiring!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So what did you guys (who have been at it more than a year) do for Thanksgiving, vacations, etc. Indulge in 1-2 items, stay completely on plan, go off track then hop on the wagon afterwards? Trying to envision my own experience in this lifestyle beyond the honeymoon phase so curious how others have handled turning down a fresh croissant in Paris (do you just eat the croissant), saying no (or yes?) to a sloppy birthday cake your kid baked you, breaking it to Aunt Bobbie that you are not eating her stuffing this year....
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @Running_and_Coffee honestly, I never cheated on holidays. I always said I would but I ended up staying keto. The difference is I wouldn't count calories. So if I wanted more cheese, pepperoni or keto friendly desserts - I went for it.