Protein Overage

Options
xosummerrainxo
xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
Lately I’ve been going over protein sometimes by 15 or 20 g and under my fat grams about the same number. My carbs I keep consistently under 20 and recently between 10 and 15 per day.That being said I’ve cut back on vegetables lately because they add up so quickly in carb counts. Do you guys find it bad when adding a little bit more protein when you’re hungry and if so what are ways to decrease your protein and what else are you eating instead?

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Lately I’ve been going over protein sometimes by 15 or 20 g and under my fat grams about the same number. My carbs I keep consistently under 20 and recently between 10 and 15 per day.That being said I’ve cut back on vegetables lately because they add up so quickly in carb counts. Do you guys find it bad when adding a little bit more protein when you’re hungry and if so what are ways to decrease your protein and what else are you eating instead?

I never consciously try to decrease my protein. If anything, i flex my fats...increase/decrease for satiety and sanity. :wink: I figure of all the things I could possibly overeat...that one (protein) will do me the least amount of harm...I'm also not a "too much protein will turn to glucose and carbs" screamer either. I eat veg in the form of salad, or maybe a caulimash, or roasted - not a ton, and not every day....depends on what i'm in the mood for.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I view protein as a minimum goal, going over is totally ok in my little world.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I maintain that protein should be the main stay of any healthy diet that doesn't specifically require protein restriction (like someone with kidney issues or protein processing issues, reactive diabetes that runs out of control, etc.) - and even then, only at doctor instruction.

The tenets that most educated low carb advocates agree on is:

Carbs are a hard limit. Don't go over them. These are set based on what program you follow.

Protein is a MINIMUM GOAL RANGE, based on your activity. The more active you are, the more you need. The heavier you are, the more you need - protein helps keep your skin healthy and gives it time to shrink with you - it keeps your hair, nails, etc. healthy. It keeps your existing muscle volume, and allows you to build muscle as you go.

Fats fill in only to satiety - this is the hunger control button...

So if carbs are a LIMIT, and fats are only needed to feel full...what is left if you're still hungry??? The only option to increase is protein! They body will convert what it needs for body functions from protein in a demand driven process. The body will burn stored body fat, including visceral fats around your organs, etc., to help make up any caloric deficit.

So, unless you're going over calories with that protein increase, you're very very unlikely to have any problems there. Remember that any caloric deficit you create on keto should come primarily from the fat category, since that's what your body will provide to fill the calorie gap you need to function. Remember to focus on nutrients...because stored body fat will be straight fuel, no nutrients!
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Makes me feel much better, thank you.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yep, like others, protein is an absolute minimum. Going over is preferred. Being under is a problem.

As for the veggies, it's not a huge deal. Some of us eat none. It's not for everyone, but they are a carb-source and some of us have issues with the fiber or other compounds.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Sometimes I could use the vegetables and I don’t because they add up quick on carbs. Most of my vegetables are salad and very few others here and there. I know they keep your regular and could use that because my carbs tend to be pretty low lately but experimenting with anything to get the scale to move again LOL
  • grugrx2
    grugrx2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I inevitably go over on protein by 10 and under fats by 10.

So I’m glad to read that the protein/fats allocation isn’t going to ruin my progress

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So I have a question, what if I come out under my protein minimum? I always seem to not get enough protein just about every day. Sometimes I can make it, but unless I eat 2 or 3 cans of tuna, I really have no way to get there. I just don't eat that much meat. Is that the only source for protein?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt for protein in addition to fish and meat but both do have some carbs. How many grams of protein are you trying to eat?

The carbs are not a problem for me since I hold my carbs to about 50 total versus the ever popular 20. I just picked some hemp seeds to see what all the rage is about. They have 10 grams of protein but a 3 Tbsp serving also has 180 calories which to me is a lot of calories for 10 grams of protein. I doubt I'll buy more but wanted to try them. They are nutty so tasty.
    So I have a question, what if I come out under my protein minimum? I always seem to not get enough protein just about every day. Sometimes I can make it, but unless I eat 2 or 3 cans of tuna, I really have no way to get there. I just don't eat that much meat. Is that the only source for protein?

• xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    @kpk54 My daily allotment is 95g. When I started I was only doing 71 (but apparently my deficit was far too high). Even at 71, I wasn't really getting enough protein. I'll look into Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, though I don't really care for them. Prior to being keto, I mixed jams/preserves with them to make them tolerable. Now that that is not an option, I dunno what I'd mix in to make them yummy.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 My daily allotment is 95g. When I started I was only doing 71 (but apparently my deficit was far too high). Even at 71, I wasn't really getting enough protein. I'll look into Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, though I don't really care for them. Prior to being keto, I mixed jams/preserves with them to make them tolerable. Now that that is not an option, I dunno what I'd mix in to make them yummy.

Flavored sugar free syrups, sugar free raspberry preserves, just stevia and sometimes nothing are my add ins to Greek yogurt. I eat cottage cheese with just salt and pepper. Nuts? Nut Butters? Tofu?

I know the "best " part of the egg is supposedly the yolk but I've eaten plenty of egg white omelets got protein and eggs are cheap!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx IMO don't eat something you don't like, there are many many proteins, all meats, fish.cheese eggs, poultry. Just choose one you like and eat some more of it! Good luck
  • NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really needed to read this today. I've been riding the struggle bus when it comes to getting enough protein. I've learned that the scale tends to freeze when I eat even close to my "goal" amount of fats, so I recalculated to try and reduce the amount of fat I'm taking in outside of using it for satiety. And since I'd rather chew tree bark than replace that fat with carbs, I've been researching ways to get more protein. I'm a huge fan of chicken, so that has been my go to so far.
  • nill4me
    Options

why eat something you don't care for? there are so many options...surely you must be able to find things you love.
    eggs, bacon, burger, steak, fish, shrimp, scallops chicken, quail, duck, turkey, goose ham, pulled pork, chops, ribs, lamb, meatballs, tofu, tempeh......

now im hungry, and going to go have leftover pulled pork for breakfast....lol
  • nill4me
    Options
    there should be a comma between goose and ham up there....i dont know that there is such a thing as goose ham. if there was though, i'd try it... :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    @chinatowninchina & @nill4me Very true! I'm not going to try to eat anything I don't like any more. I've done that for so long, because I knew they were 'good for me' or because I was told that. Like celery! I finally just gave up trying to like that nasty stick.

@NikaChartrand I know what you mean! I'm still trying to figure out what my body likes/wants/needs. It's frustrating, but having a group of likeminded people to come to for some assistance is awesome! as for protein, my go to is always tuna. I've never really like chicken or turkey except as deli meat. Otherwise I feel it is too dry. Bring on the beef!! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Try chicken thighs...and turkey legs...

You might fall in all over again!

Oh, and all the PORK!!!