Do you have a Goal Weight? (and why??)

Options
chinatowninchina
chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
I realised when reading some posts that I don't actually have a stopping Goal Weight!! I've been so much focused on just getting down somewhere, anywhere, below what I was previously that I never even thought about where I actually want to be, weight-wise at least! Even writing this I still don't to be honest. I've never been a thin person or at least in my eyes I've never been thin/slim at the time, though looking back at photographs I have been relatively slim.

So where do I want to stop loosing weight? When I met my very, very lovely second husband 18 years ago I was very light (for me at 5'4'' and not a tiny frame!) at 124 lbs, that was called the divorce diet and I ain't wanting that again! So where, oh where do I want to be weight-wise? Not 124 that's for sure as I'm no spring chicken now and over 60 you need some coverage IMO! How much coverage though, that's the question!

When I started in late September 2017 I was 184 now I'm 153 (at least today!) Do I in fact need a goal weight because right now I'm thinking that maybe I'm about there, though that's still 19 lbs more than what I was 18 years ago, but then strangely, I am 18 years older as well!!

Ideally I suppose I want to loose another 4 or 5 pounds which gives me some lee way (in my head at least!) for holidays and water weight gain. It may take me months but I can live with that. So I may be saying 148 lbs, who knows, not me it seems!

Where are other people with having a goal weight and why!!

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    Options
    goodness that's one amazing weight loss, well done to you! I bet your doctor is very pleased with you you must be very proud of yourself as well and deservedly so! <3
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I first started out with one particular weight goal in mind, and I got there, and then went 20 below that. I regained that 20 plus 20 more and realized both going down and going back up that there was a weight range where I felt great and my loose skin filled out a bit so I liked my overall body appearance better.
    That's my new goal range.

Right now, Ive got 20 pounds down to go. Still, I have lost 110 right where I am today....so I know I can do this and get to that sweet spot again. And I'm happy with the number I've chosen even though I had tried for that elusive sylphlike teenage weight. Oh well.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I had a weight goal and it was the weight I had hovered around most of my adult life before I spent 8 or 10 years gaining 60 pounds. :# I'm there. It's fine. Too bad it's not dispersed as it was when I was 24 but that was 40 years ago. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use more of a goal size. I like to be a size 8-10. I'm 5'8" so that is slim enough for me.

For weight, I go for more of a goal weight range. Things change, time passes (dammit), bodies change so the actual weight that I look good at is determined by a number of factors.

When I was in my 20s, a size 8-10 was about 160-165 lbs. I was strong and lean with very little jiggle. Now? A size 8-10 is below 155 and has a lot more jiggle than that size used to have. I'm not as strong as I used to be. Less muscle and more fat, even at a lower weight.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to be under 200 lbs.
    My second goal is to be 180 or less.
    I don't really have a final goal weight per-say, just to fit nicely in all my clothes, to feel healthy, strong and at my best.
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    Do you know, what I like is that we all seem to really realistic about what our weight maybe should be roughly, and that some of us ain't spring chickens anymore! <3

I appreciate this too. I know I will never be the weight or size I was in my 20s. That's not realistic for me. So - happy, healthy, and fit feel like better goals. I'll be 35 in a few months and definitely don't expect my body to be the same as it was at 22.
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to get below 200. My next next is to see about 166 because that will mark my 100 loss mark. After that my mind chose 145. Whether it stays at that number I will not know until I get closer.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    In college I was about 110. At almost 5'8", that is way too thin. But I wasn't dieting to get there. I was just so lucky in that I could eat anything and it did not matter! Boy has that changed!! I started in January at 176, the highest I have ever weighed. Now I am at 151. My goal is 140. Ultimately I'd love to get down to 130, but I know at 140 I am a size 4 and that will make me very happy.
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    My first goal is to be under 200 lbs.
    My second goal is to be 180 or less.
    I don't really have a final goal weight per-say, just to fit nicely in all my clothes, to feel healthy, strong and at my best.

Oh yeah, also, I'm 5'8 and have a lean mass of 165 lbs... so although 180 lbs seems high, it is actually a healthy weight for me (and looks really great on my frame :smile: )
  • GoLisaGoSD
    GoLisaGoSD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my initial goal was to get down to "healthier", whatever that was (I'm 245). Recently though... I have a number goal... 150lbs. And then see what happens...
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goal wasn't very big--am almost there. I'm most interested in maintaining this lifestyle because every other way of eating I've tried has not helped me fight the munchies/eating out of boredom, etc. I will add back some net carbs and calories when I am 5 lbs below my goal weight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Since my last time really at goal weight, give or take, I was at 140, 19 years old, foolishly getting married (we won't go there)...

Since then, I've had a miscarriage, a full term birth (DD is 17), adrenal fatigue, progesterone deficiency, hypothyroidism, PCOS, over a decade of plantar fasciitis, and goodness only knows what else I'm forgetting.

I, too, followed the "divorce diet," and lost nearly 50 pounds in 3-6 months, but it was a lot of muscle along with all the water, inflammation, and fat. There was a lengthy rebound period...

Long story short here - I do not truly know what it is to live in an adult body anywhere near a healthy BMI... So I don't have any realistic goal weight...

BUT, I try to always remind people that OLYMPIC BODY BUILDERS ARE CONSIDERED OBESE BY BMI STANDARDS - BECAUSE BMI DOES NOT TAKE BODY FAT PERCENTAGE OR MUSCLE VOLUME INTO ACCOUNT AT ALL...

To give perspective...someone cal look significantly "thinner" and "healthier" while being more than 20 pounds heavier...due to muscle tone, etc.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I actually feel fortunate that I do not have a magic number in my head for a goal weight. I know too many people that obsess over a specific number and lose sight of some other really good stuff.

I never had a scale in my house until I started living with my BF about 7 years ago and I was around 150. I do have a pair of jeans that are kind of my marker that I wore before and around the same time. I had energy a-plenty, I slept well and overall felt good and strong. My divorce diet made those jeans much too big and lots of people commented that I looked "sickly", that was approximately 130.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    so many of us have done the divorce diet, it's not fun but it is effective!! Still I'll stick with second marriage contentment despite the weight gain!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Where to even start...once upon a time I have a goal weight of 135...which I managed...I was a size 7...so then I started lifting weights...and I went up to 150 and a size 3...which is actually really nice...then I wanted to get down to 20% body fat from 25% body fat...which I did staying between 145-150...and now I'm thinking maybe I'll just invent some measurement goals since that's way more stable than my weight anyway...I'm currently around 157, but my monthly subscription to Lucifer's waterfall is due soon, and I'll probably drop 5-8 lbs of water once that hits...so still 145-150 range and still a size 3 mostly, but some of my jeans I can take off without unbuttoning, so maybe more like a 2 1/2...not down to a 2 quite yet...

for me there will always be another goal...either to lift more, or to be more flexible, better endurance, or a smaller size...there is always room for improvement and after 21 years of diet and exercise I am well aware that if I stop trying to improve I will definitely not improve, it's that simple...life is too short to be stagnant...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @tcunbeliever

BWAH HA HA HA ... "monthly subscription to Lucifer's Waterfall" is too ... on the nose freaking perfect! Thanks for that.