Nightmare about eating a plain bagel :)

Options
I have actually had a few bad dreams about mindlessly grabbing a very high carb food and eating it and then remembering my diet. Out of curiosity so that perhaps I can quell this anxiety, what would happen if I did eat a few bites of a high carb food a few months into the keto diet? Would I “get thrown out of ketosis” and immediately regain some weight and start craving sugar? Or would it be no big deal? I’ve stuck to a keto plan pretty much 100% and have turned down many many offers for things that were off the plan, to the point that it’s getting to be annoying to repeatedly say no to the same people!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad would happen, probably. But, these dreams are a good sign. A lot of the long term successful members on here will admit to having these dreams. It is usually a good indicator that you are doing well. Just the way the brain works.
  • Jcc2018
    Jcc2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 20 years ago. Now occasionally, after having been out socially the evening before, I'll have a dream and in the dream I am smoking. The next morning I awaken in a sheer panic -- "Did I smoke?!" Lol. My brain being hypervigilant about something it has made a pre-decision NOT to do. Congrats on your decision!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Carbmares! I still have them occasionally.

Bad? If it's enough to break your carb threshold, then you'll go out of ketosis. You may or may not end up with gastric upset. You'll probably gain a little water weight, which will leave in a couple days of on-plan eating. You may or may not crave carbs. It's individual. A catastrophe though? Nope.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think I may be an outlier.... I can't recall ever having dreams about eating. Flying, on the other hand, swooping like a bird fairly close to the ground... I used to dream that all the time, in fact I would purposely try to think of that just before I went to sleep as it was such a joyous feeling. Haven't had that much lately. I should try thinking about it again, as I am going through a lot of stress right now with elderly parents moving into an assisted living facility next month. Tons of things to do - ohhhh, the list.
    Don't freak out too much about a slip, all of us go through it. Just remember to pick yourself back up and keep on. You could have some digestive issues, body aches, inflammation - depending on any underlying health issues you might have. Everyone's different.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’ve had so many dreams like this in my three months of keto! I’ll be sitting there just eating the thing, and it’ll start to dawn on me that there’s a reason I haven’t been doing that, and I feel all weird and confused.

I actually did have a bite of apple cake a few weeks ago, and since it was a few hours after my last meal and at least two hours before I’d get to eat again I was really wondering if that would be enough to take me out of ketosis. It wasn’t. With that in mind I had a generous bite of mashed potatoes and a little “tropical salsa” as part of a restaurant meal recently, and it was fine.

Be thoughtful and consistent, but in my experience so far there’s no upside to being panicky. Most people who are doing keto tend to eat lower-carb than they actually need to, which leaves a little wiggle room in case we need it.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks, was afraid you guys were all going to tell me I must be neurotic to have nightmares about bread. I got through Valentines Day, my birthday (celebrated three times) two business trips, a family vacation and Passover without slipping up beyond a glass of a drier wine that still keeps me within 15-30 net carbs (20 is my goal) so i am feeling pretty good about this so far. I find this much easier in general compared to Weight Watchers and other similar diets I tried previously!!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I had one where I chowed down like a champ on a huge spaghetti dinner right when I was first doing keto. When I woke up I was mortified. Took me a while to figure out it wasn't real, and I was devastated til I did. Lol!! Total wish fulfillment scenario.
    Same thing when I quit smoking. I think I smoked a pack in my dream....
    Hasn't happened in a while.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks, was afraid you guys were all going to tell me I must be neurotic to have nightmares about bread.

LOL, no. You would be shocked at how common such things are. There is also a common dream about sleeping through your final exams, usually had by people who are long out of college and very successful. The brain is a weird thing.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Thanks, was afraid you guys were all going to tell me I must be neurotic to have nightmares about bread.

LOL, no. You would be shocked at how common such things are. There is also a common dream about sleeping through your final exams, usually had by people who are long out of college and very successful. The brain is a weird thing.

Oh I know that one, I remember dreaming I had to tell my dad I'd failed my finals (years after I'd passed and was working!) and his disappointment. That was about 1 million years ago but I still remember!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    When I first when gluten free after my celiac diagnosis I would have gluten nightmares all the time. lol
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A couple days into starting keto, I dreamt I was eating garlic bread galore! :lol:
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    big chocolate cake , I dream I am eating it , with my hands just eating the whole cake like a 1 year old LOL when I wake up I want that cake , i hate those dreams , I try to eat very soon after a dream like that (no carbs ) so I can rid my mind of it . MY husband thinks I am nuts so I understand worrying about telling people what you dream . I tell hubby to shut it now LOL and tell him it's normal.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think you really only need to worry if you wake up and one of your pillows is missing :wink:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I think you really only need to worry if you wake up and one of your pillows is missing :wink:

:joy: