Have you been criticized for not doing it the "hard" way?

Options
2»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I was in a cafe with friends and a lady we knew came over to congratulate me and said to them wasn't I doing really well

One answered her saying I've lost nothing, the surgeon lost it for me

I was sitting eating cheese spread on crackers. They both had fish, chips, peas and a side of cheese toastie

I was going to the pool at 7am to swim lengths for an hour which they then made snide comments about how thier kids like to sleep longer and eat breakfast slowly while watching tv.
    How it was cruel to take my child out for walks in an evening

I find those who don't want to dedicate thier time to making lifestyle choices are those that criticise and try and drag others down
    They are not worth the heartache
  • brendajean316
    brendajean316 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum wow. I am so sorry you had to deal with that and probably continue to do so. I’m learning so much more that surgery and committing to the new lifestyle go hand in hand. I mean I knew it but it just keeps driving that nail home for me. Thank you!
  • JessieKat2552
    JessieKat2552 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and am 5 Days Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery and leading up I heard it soooooo many times. My Fiancee even told me I was cheating and I should lose it the natural way.
  • brendajean316
    Options
    @JessieKat2552 how are you doing after surgery? And isn’t it hard to hear someone say those things? I think many overweight people are so from some sort of emotional struggle. Don’t they know that is exactly the sort of thing that can frail us? I wish you only the best with your weight loss. You deserve it!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @JessieKat2552 I'm shocked that your FIANCEE would think that. This is the person you plan on spending the rest of your life with? I'm not saying you should dump them but you need to take a hard look at your relationship and how their opinions of you are going to affect your mental and physical health going forward. Personally, I would not be in a romantic relationship with someone that didn't support or believe in bariatric surgery.

In regards to this topic overall, I think there will always be people out there that have a negative opinion of the surgery. We all know it's not "easy". I've been very fortunate in that I really haven't had to deal with it too much. A few years ago a couple of my bus passengers expressed some skepticism but they weren't really mean about it. Other than that everyone in my life has been supportive. The fact that six of my co-workers had bariatric surgery also I think helps. My work environment is very friendly and supportive. I believe that positive energy regarding my surgery has helped me in my fitness pursuits.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request to someone who writes a lot of blogs that are motivating so I thought I would "friend" her and then her posts would jump into my newsfeed.

She deleted my friend request because I said I was prepping for the lap band surgery. And while she apologized for deleting me, she still made it clear that people who are not struggling the "hard" way need not apply.

Do you get criticized or discriminated against because you opted for surgery?

I have been extremely lucky. My family, friends, and colleagues have been extremely supportive. While VSG has been a lifesaver for me, I wouldn’t call it easy. However, it has been easier than my lifetime of dieting. Of course, I have had zero complications.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think that no matter what, as long as you are using a safe method to lose weight nobody should have a problem with it. After all, the goal is to make yourself healthier. Whether that's losing weight "the old fashioned way" or surgery, you are working to make YOU better.

If anyone has a problem with that, screw 'em. My sense of peace & self-worth isn't based on what random *kitten* think of me.
  • brendajean316
    Options
    Thanks, @StevenGarrigus , I'm learning to adopt that attitude. The people who have reached out to me in support is what has helped me feel not alone and to not take small-minded opinions to heart. I think I'll never leave this group!
  • NuMi2018
    NuMi2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No family outside of my immediate family knows I had this surgery. They were already so judgemental when it came to my weight beforehand and because of it I haven't talked to any of them in years, so I figure it's really none of their business. I did this for ME. :)
  • brendajean316
    Options
    NuMi2018 wrote: »
    I did this for ME. :)

You did it for the most important person! You're weight loss looks good on you!!