Do you have a Goal Weight? (and why??)

Options

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @cgcrutch you know when I was young, (a long long time ago) I was in France on holiday and 6 months pregnant and with a 15month old in tow, I wanted to go to the beach but didn't want to be seen in a bikini and some one said just come to the beach and look and what do you know there were all these women much much larger than me (and NOT pregnant!) and they were wearing bikinis. I decided there and then if they could I could, so what I'm saying girl, is get that bikini and that belly button ring!! <3<3
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @tcunbeliever I had to look that up online, may be age or maybe language divide! :D
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me, I really want to get back to the weight I was when I FIRST thought I was overweight, which was a size 16 when I was 18 years old. I have no clue how much weight that was. Under 200. But above 160. So my goal right now is to get to 185 which is 90 lbs less than what I originally started at. But I want to keep going after that to probably between 150-165 because I want to see if I can, and what I look like. I don't think I'm meant to be that light, at 5'9", I'll probably look malnourished. So if I can get to 160, I may stop. Or I may keep going. I've got a long ways to go and I'm sure my goals and challenges will change over time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Oh, wow... That is almost exactly what I've said to myself (change the numerical details...). All my friends in HS were a 0 or 00, and I was a size 8. I thought I was a fat cow.

Now they're all in the 12-16 range, and I still feel like a cow, but I'd give a lot to go back and talk with myself back then.

The 140 I weighed when I got married - if I got that thin now, I would look unhealthy, I know I would. My whole body shape has changed.

Since I started losing weight, I actually weigh about the same as I did in the "heaviest" looking pictures I have, BUT I'VE gotten rid of so much inflammation. I swear, inflammation itself looks like 50 pounds!!! From eating all the foods that hate my body...

So, all the hugs!!!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeah I selected a goal weight based off charts for my height and age. I think its good to have goals and something to strive for. It keeps me motivated but I don't obsess over it. I need to lose 15-20lb more before I hit my goal. I might try to lose 5-10lbs more if I feel extra motivated or just chill in maintenance for a while and tone up through exercise. I'd rather not go into my 50s overweight and out of shape and want to have better health both physically and mentally moving forward.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    This morning I was 151 - so 6 lbs of water down in a single day...this is why the scale is just such a pain in the rear.
  • mx_mommy
    mx_mommy Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I started Keto on September 18, 2017. SW 290 CW 254 GW - I keep changing... started out at 160, but now I'm thinking 150 would be a good goal. I think the perfect weight would be 130. I'm only 5'4". Why? Because I think I will be healthier, have more energy, it'll be easier to move around, and much easier on my joints.
  • mx_mommy
    Options
    GoLisaGoSD wrote: »
    I'm 5'4" and my initial goal was to get down to "healthier", whatever that was (I'm 245). Recently though... I have a number goal... 150lbs. And then see what happens...

I'm exactly your weight and height! :)

• mx_mommy
    Options
    For me, I really want to get back to the weight I was when I FIRST thought I was overweight, which was a size 16 when I was 18 years old. I have no clue how much weight that was. Under 200. But above 160. So my goal right now is to get to 185 which is 90 lbs less than what I originally started at. But I want to keep going after that to probably between 150-165 because I want to see if I can, and what I look like. I don't think I'm meant to be that light, at 5'9", I'll probably look malnourished. So if I can get to 160, I may stop. Or I may keep going. I've got a long ways to go and I'm sure my goals and challenges will change over time.

I remember the last time I was 160. It was 1989. We had 2 sweet little girls and I thought I was FAT! I would KILL to be 160 again! LMAO I'm only 5'4". When I got married in 1984 I was 125# and size 10-12. I would love to be 150, I think... or 140. LOL We'll see where I can get to. I suspect I will need a tummy tuck and breast augmentation... with all the loose skin.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @tcunbeliever

BWAH HA HA HA ... "monthly subscription to Lucifer's Waterfall" is too ... on the nose freaking perfect! Thanks for that.

I know, rite! :joy:
    I now have a new phrase!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think my goal weight on r/keto (way back when I started) was "whatever". That's been my attitude from the very start. I needed to lose weight, but how much wasn't really a thing that I thought about. My reasons for weight loss aren't scale related. Sure, I tracked my weight (religiously), but that was just a data point. My goal has always been fitness and wellness related. Do I get out of bed feeling good every morning? Am I able to do everything that I need/want to do? Am I able to perform at a level that is acceptable for me?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had a goal weight based on estimated body fat %, but then had to keep decreasing that as I lost both fat and lean mass; and as I was able to perfect accuracy of body fat % measurements. That original goal weight was rounded off to 150 lbs.

Now, I can determine body fat at home within 0.3% of a Dexa scan at any given time; so it is constantly changing and I average the prior 2 weeks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm pretty much in the boat with @FIT_Goat...

The truest measurements I'm aiming for aren't just numbers/data... I want the tangible measures...
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Well, there was also a distinct "American Beauty" goal in my mind. I wanted to look good naked. Lol. That was more important than the scale anyway.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @FIT_Goat goodness for me that ship has sailed........a long time ago at that!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @tcunbeliever

BWAH HA HA HA ... "monthly subscription to Lucifer's Waterfall" is too ... on the nose freaking perfect! Thanks for that.

OMGness! Hearing @KnitOrMiss re-phrase and laugh at it... now I get it! Believe it or not, when I read it the first time, I actually thought it was an actual subscription to some kind of pill or supplement @tcunbeliever ordered to help you lose weight!

I’m so out to lunch!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Is it sad that not only do I not have a weight goal (anymore), I don’t even have a size or fitness goal (anymore). Now, my goal is just to stick to this long enough to actually rid my body of inflammation and feel better long term.

When I can wake up in the morning and consistently want to get out of bed and consistently go to the washroom without having to take something to make it happen, I will consider that: Goal Met!
  • char1iej
    char1iej Posts: 36 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I do, in fact, have a goal. That may change. I started this process a month ago with two things in mind (regarding weight). I wanted to weigh less than 200lbs. And, I wanted to be able to say, "I lost 50 pounds" in the process. Weighing in at 242 the day I set the goal, a loss of 50 pounds would result in me weighing less than 200 - 192 to be exact. So, I set my goal for 192.

The BMI chart says I should weigh 165. I disagree, as I think I would look "scrawny" at 165. For the time being, my goal is 192 - subject to change a bit lower when I reach that goal.

Since we're all different and have different reasons for becoming healthier, my advice would be to decide for yourself. I'm not one of those "it's all about me" people, but you decide if you need a number to strive for. Or, if you just want to choose when you feel comfortable & healthy. Best wishes!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Is it sad that not only do I not have a weight goal (anymore), I don’t even have a size or fitness goal (anymore). Now, my goal is just to stick to this long enough to actually rid my body of inflammation and feel better long term.

When I can wake up in the morning and consistently want to get out of bed and consistently go to the washroom without having to take something to make it happen, I will consider that: Goal Met!

I really hope this happens for you, living with pain must be horrendous. <3
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @char1iej

Remember, the BMI chart typically only accurately applies to someone who never became obese in the first place. Once we have added fat cells to our bodies, even when we have emptied them, they never go away completely, so our bodies look and feel different, and sometimes, previous expectations are no longer realistic.

I know that insurance and medical groups use BMI as the measuring stick, but it's really not the best one.

I try to remember that Olympic Body Builders are considered Overweight and/or Obese in some situations by BMI calculations alone. They don't account for fat percentages and such. I like the mental milestone of 50 POUNDS GONE, but you could look better by far at 200 pounds and muscular than 150 or even 175 as skinny fat, etc.

I think I posted the links to Staci - the NerdFitness body builder... I love to see that when she's 30 pounds heavier but fitter, she looks smaller than the lighter weight. I'll go look to make sure I posted the links. If not, I'll come back and add them.