INSULIN AND FAT RETENTION

Options
sarahtrust
sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
THE ROLE OF INSULIN IS TO HOLD ON TO FAT. hOW DO I DECREASE MY INSULIN (DIABETES ENDOCRINOLOIST KEEPS RAISING IT) AND INCREASE THE NON-FAT RETENTION HORMONES eg glucagon??

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would try Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He invented home testing and treating T1D and T2D with a low carb diet to reduce insulin needs. Fewer carbs = less insulin needed

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

He also has some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOI9bk3VZc

Sarah Halberg is a good source for info too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Exercise! Lots and lots of exercise.

Insulin is not just a bad guy - bodybuilders abuse insulin because in addition to storing fat, it also helps with muscle building. You need insulin to allow glucose into your muscle cells.
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    Thanks for responses i AM trying to have 90 carbs per day to maintain good sugar levels I have many other health issues and low mobility so exercise is very difficult, can only walk about 20 steps without stopping, I am having dense nutrition and 1200 calories per day, trying to get enough iron calcium and potassium and protein and balance fats. I will know if this has helped when I get my next) diagnostics results in 2 weeks, pre breakfast glucose this week has been 5,4 and 6 but no Last HBALC was 54, (7.1. I need weight off for serious operation in April. Thanks for any other help ,I follow" worlds healthiest foods" and am moving slowly towards more vegetarian meals.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Not to be a sourpuss, but 90g of sugar/starch in a day
    is triple what some of us (like moi) can handle....

I would second the recommendation to familiarize yourself with Dr. Bernstein's approach, which aims to minimize meds and stabilize insulin and blood glucose.
  • maggie34mae2016
    maggie34mae2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    90 carbs a day is a ton!
  • sarahtrust
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am astonished? How can you eat so little carbs? I have cut out all rice pasta cake etc
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    I have ordered the Bernstien book Thanks and watched video
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Many people succeed on a higher carb diet - the best approach is to test blood sugar after meals frequently until you learn your own tolerances. I eat between 150 - 200 g / day and my A1c is 4.7. There's a vegan poster on this forum who gets most of his nutrition from carbs and has good glucose control. Low carb and keto can be helpful for some people but are not necessary for everyone.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sarahtrust wrote: »
    I am astonished? How can you eat so little carbs? I have cut out all rice pasta cake etc

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I found that once I was past the first week, my desire rice, pasta, and cake fell a great deal. If I wasn't eating it, I didn't want it as much.

Bernstein has a hug collection of videos he calls Diabetes University. They are dry to watch but there is so much information in his talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNGdKSXx64&list=PLs_TA02I6IvV6-1s2pL4BPhvMo0Ck_lcY

I enjoyed this series a lot. It was the first videos of his that I'd every found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    Is this et carbs ?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Is this et carbs ?

Did you mean net carbs?

Some go with net carbs and others go with total carbs. I think the main thing is to be consistent. Stick with one or the other.

I tend to go with total carbs just because it is easier. If you want net carbs it is just the on extra step of figuring out "total carbs - fibre = net carbs".

If you go with net carbs, your upper carb limit might be a bit lower than if you went with total carbs. That's all, IMO.
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    THANKS
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    mY hA1c CAME BACK YESTERDAY AT 49, MIE 6.6
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks moving in the right direction. :). Congrats!
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    6,6 is better but I don't eat any rice, pasta cakes etc. most of the carbs come form yoghurt soy milk etc. I cant reduce them as I am trying to eat more calcium foods I am trying to cut the insulin ( taking 68 basal p.d. and 20 per meal which is too much and following Leptin diet to increase hours between eating etc (Byron RICHARDS) NoW HAVE BERNSTeIN BOOk, SO WATCH THIS SPACE Thanks to all who took the trouble to comment
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for the reports from our new war correspondent!

If you're like me, you will have quite a few Eureka! moments in the days ahead.
  • sarahtrust
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thanks for the encouragement! You have been on MFP a long time, what has been your greatest learning and most helpful in that time? Can I friend you? I have a lot to learn
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! You have been on MFP a long time, what has been your greatest learning and most helpful in that time? Can I friend you? I have a lot to learn

@sarahtrust I have been around here a while but I am not the best friend to have - I only rarely check the friend news feed or log my foods anymore.

I really like to read so the books Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (by Bersntein) and Obesity Code (by Fung - and his IDM blog)) were some of my best sources for keeping BG lower. I also really liked Peter Attia's older blogs, as well as Georgia Eades and some Authority Nutrition blogs. They can get a little technical, but I enjoy the science.

All have good youtube videos that are entertaining to watch while doing other things. There are a a few podcasts that are good too.

If you do start to follow lower carb diets (below 100-150g a day - may be too high for diabetics) or ketogenic diets (below 50g of carbs a day), the Low Carber Daily MFP group has some great sticky threads. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group