Why isn’t the scale moving? Anyone care to take a look at my diary and give me pointers ??

Options
FANCY1977
FANCY1977 Posts: 31 Member
This is week 3 for me and going strong but the scale is not budging for me this week. WHY??? I took my measurements to stay motivated but it’s that damn scale!

Replies

• primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open to the public, need to change your settings.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are you doing photos and measurements in addition to the scale?
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale. I have for close to two weeks now and don't even think about it. It's way to variable of a measurement in the short term. Your weight can fluctuate through out the day so with that in mind I always tried to weigh myself at the same time of day usually before I've eaten or had my morning hydration. Clothing can also add to your weight.

It also takes a while for your body to adjust but it will. I know after my initial water weight loss I was dropping about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week until I dropped 42 lbs and now its tapered off some but once this semester is over I can get back to a regular meal and workout schedule which should set things back in motion so I can hit my goal weight.

It's difficult to be patient but sometimes you just have to let go and be in the moment with the realization that things will happen given time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, your scale will not always move every week. You'll be retaining water for one reason or another which will mask loss: hormones, salt, carbs, muscle repair, or the body taking a pause to juggle after many changes. A 1-week pause is nothing to worry over. If your see nothing after 4 weeks, you may need to look at what habits you need to reign in further, but right now, you're still ok.
    Xerogs wrote: »
    Ignore the scale. I have for close to two weeks now and don't even think about it. It's way to variable of a measurement in the short term. Your weight can fluctuate through out the day so with that in mind I always tried to weigh myself at the same time of day usually before I've eaten or had my morning hydration. Clothing can also add to your weight.

It also takes a while for your body to adjust but it will. I know after my initial water weight loss I was dropping about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week until I dropped 42 lbs and now its tapered off some but once this semester is over I can get back to a regular meal and workout schedule which should set things back in motion so I can hit my goal weight.

It's difficult to be patient but sometimes you just have to let go and be in the moment with the realization that things will happen given time.

:+1:
    Exactly.
    Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    do you think coffee would kick me out of ketosis?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    FANCY1977 wrote: »
    do you think coffee would kick me out of ketosis?

No. Carbs kick you out of ketosis. A one week lack of loss, especially for a woman, is standard. I retain water for everything and see scale gains 2 out of 4 weeks of the month.

Also, fat loss isn't linear and fat cells fill with water which they then shed rapidly. When I first started keto my losses looked something like this:
    Week 1: -7
    Week 2: -3
    Week 3: -1
    Week 4: no change
    Week 5: no change
    Week 6: no change
    Week 7: -5
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    Oh well that’s motivating because my loss looks lot like yours thanks everyone !
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't kick you out of ketosis - only carbs will do that. But even if you are kicked out of ketosis, ketosis is not needed for weight loss... It just makes it easier for some of us. :)

My losses were like @Cadori 's. Some weeks I lost 3 lbs, others I gained a pound, and then the next I might be down 5 lbs. Weight loss isn't linear (darnit). If the overall trend is mostly downward, then you are fine. :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I have been on a keto diet since October of 2016 - so 18 months or so. I have had three 5-6 week plateaus in that time span. Eventually you emerge from the tunnel or whatever. I have averaged about a pound a week loss over the entire time span. For me it is a forest -vs- trees thing. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Concur about the coffee. Persistence and patience are needed. Both are hard to come by when we want everything yesterday. Been there. I have no clue about any of your stats so far as current weight, desired weight, height as it might pertain to calorie intake but I will suggest that there may come a time when tightening up your food entries will be of value. "Grilled chicken breast", "Full avocado", "chili-1 serving" in your food diary are pretty generic. Heck, I might buy an avocado that is around 4 ounces or 7 ounces. That could be as much as a 150 calorie difference.
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    and how many grams of fat does everyone eat?
  • kpk54
    Options
    FANCY1977 wrote: »
    and how many grams of fat does everyone eat?

I happened to track last week on MFP as a spot check and the daily average was:.
    51 total carbs
    103 fat
    84 protein
    1467 calories
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates 20 g
    Fat 107 g
    Protein 140 g

I am typically over on the protein by a little and typically stay well under the fat number.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    My fat goal is 63g, but I really don't pay any attention to it...some days I'm over some days I'm under, mostly I just try to get my protein over and my carbs and calories under...I don't really pay any attention to the fat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly caloric deficit?
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't be a slave to the weight on your scale. I see it as just one helpful device in my weight loss journey, not as judge and jury to my progress. The food scale in my kitchen keeps me much more on track to reach my goals than the bathroom scale. I have found that the journey is not a steady decline in my weight, but an up and down pattern where my "set point" seems to gradually ratchet down as I eat well and get enough exercise.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I'm a bit like as was mentioned above by another poster.

I keep my carbs LOW by not eating "the carby stuff" that I over ate in the past which eased me into obesity over the years.

I really don't worry about fat and protein intake. I get ample of each IMO and it varies. My eating habits are habits that work for me. My macro intake is what works for me. I know what my calorie amount is and routinely adhere too it.

Habits. Habits. Habits. Habits. I can't express enough how important it may be for some to focus on habits. It has been incredibly important to me for maintenance. Last night I made Crack Slaw for dinner. A quick, easy, carb friendly, well balanced meal in a wok. There was a bit leftover and I was highly tempted to eat it rather than pitch it or store it in the refrigerator.

Habits. "The No S Diet". No Seconds. No Snacks. No Sweets. Except on Special occasion or Sometimes on days that begin with an "S" or when Sick.

Sorry I digressed...
  • FANCY1977
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What is your weekly caloric deficit?

hum. good question. Where do I find this? I have a hard time deturmining how many calories I should be staying Under. To me they do count when trying to lose weight. I try to stay Under 1200. I did recently bump that up to 1500 but just to adjust my other macros mainly fat.....

• tcunbeliever
    Options
    Assuming you are trying to lose weight, what's the point of eating more fat? Fat you consume will be used as energy before fat on your body is used for energy.

I noticed your protein is pretty low, you might want to invest those extra 300 calories into protein rather than fat.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned hormones. So yeah, depending on when your water weight gain is when it comes to your menstrual cycle, that could be the culprit. Some women gain when they ovulate, some right before they menstruate, etc on the variances of when it happens. If this is week 3 of keto and you're noticing a sudden plateau and you haven't gone through your period on keto yet, that may be the cause. Stay the course, keep hydrated and it should flush out like normal.

I'm in the same boat, we started about 3 and a half weeks ago, I was due at the end of this week, and Tuesday I gained a bit over a pound even though I've been under calories every day but one (the one I was over wasn't a net gain, either, just not a loss day, was), and my net carbs have been between 20 and 30 every day, usually closer to 20. But I've also been through this with other plans and I know this week is going to mess with my scale a bit.

An alternative theory is if you started any exercise routines recently you might, maybe, possibly, be retaining a little water from that. When I do weight lift, especially right at the beginning or returning to it, I notice a small uptick or stall in weight due to water retention. Muscles need water to heal, so they hang on to a little bit after some workouts. You may never have noticed it before, and I wouldn't have if I hadn't gone through a spell of logging my weight every day. (silly me also decided to resume weight lifting this week after a 5 week break, you know, when it's shark week approaching, so now I've possibly have double reasons for the water bloat to be there. Yay me!)